12/27/06 Would You Eat Meat From Cloned Animals?

Minis On The Edge

In the early '60s DH's roommate, from India, was working on genetically engineered wheat strains that would thrive in the Indian climate & yield large harvests because people in his country were starving for whatever reasons that were producing overpopulation at the time. Now India grows enough wheat to export the excess and more people are rising above the poverty level.

I personally have issues with the ethical aspects of some research, including that of cloning, but the research will still be done regardless of how ethical or moral we think it to be, and if some good comes from it, all the better. Nuclear weapons of mass destruction are hideous to contemplate, but because of the research we have nuclear medicine saving lives.

Vaccines are great, the viruses they're developed & used to treat keep mutating... Just a thought.

I thought that was because the original experimental animals were already mature and there was a certain amount of degrading of the DNA (and probably RNA) that would affect the clones.

If after all the years I've been eating chicken I haven't sprouted feathers, or scales from eating fish, I must not assimilate those critters' DNA when my body's busy extracting the vitamins, minerals & protein & fat. Again, the news report isn't talking about eating the CLONES, but their offspring; if the DNA is healthy enough to survive the offspring ought to be at least as healthy & safe as the original donor critter the clone was harvested from.

We already eat genetically engineered food, y'all...

From what I have been reading online and hearing on the news and the FDA website, it is approved for meat & eggs & Milk to be used from actual cloned animals. You are right about the fact that our food is messed with :banana: ( Your term was the correct one "Genetically engineered"). I think our grandparents lived nice long lives without all of this scientific "hocus pocus" so I think they should leave well enough alone. Look at how we keep seeing how people are all of a sudden coming down with Ecoli. I wonder have they changed the way they are processing certain foods now. The consumer is always the last to know :banana::ohyeah: