12/27/06 Would You Eat Meat From Cloned Animals?

Minis On The Edge

I was watching world news tonight and they were talking about the FDA may allow farmers to sell Meat, eggs, & milk from Cloned animals :Jumpy: :o . They may not have to label the food that comes from cloned animals? How do you feel about that? Do you think food from Cloned animals are safe? would you eat it?

Tough question, because I don't really agree with cloning animals to begin with so the thought of eating their meat doesn't seem too appealing. But, it could quiet some animal right activists since the animals would be created by man to feed mankind.

I would worry about eating a cloned animal. At least with regular animals bred individually, if something is genetically wrong with them you would not run the risk of harboring anything in your system because you would eat the meat from that animal and then eat the meat from another different one. But what if something is wrong with the one they clone and they don't know it right away? It's kinda creepy in a way. How would the animal to be cloned be chosen? "hey let's clone this chicken because it has fat thighs!"

Cloning is kinda weird anyway.

Seems to me it would be a whole lot more expensive to raise cloned animals for meat rather than those conceived the old fashioned way. I wonder what the impetus for this trend is.

As to whether I'd eat the meat -- maybe, one day, but I believe I'll pass until more is known about this whole process.

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. But then, I look for irradiated meat, too, as it is safer than "regular" meat, having been treated to destroy bacteria. It doesn't much matter to me whether it's labeled or not, but I suspect they'd have to label it in the beginning (as they do with irradiated meat) so those folks nervous about it could avoid it.

Meat (and lot of other things we eat) is already "played with" genetically, trying to get "bigger breasts", or "more white meat" or "fatter roasts", or whatever. Cloning is just a next step.

Meat (and lot of other things we eat) is already "played with" genetically, trying to get "bigger breasts", or "more white meat" or "fatter roasts", or whatever. Cloning is just a next step.

My DH's college roommate was working on hybridizing strains of wheat to thrive and produce huge yields in India. Any food animals selected for the cloning process will be subject to the rigid inspection standards the USDA already requires for food sources.

We already eat farm-raised genetically engineered meat & seafood (I'm talking DH & I) and we haven't sprouted extra anything.

Hmmm . . . I guess if I have to eat it I'd rather not know about it . . . just like I don't want to know where my meat comes from now. This whole food chain thing is getting just so weird . . .

Just a thought while we're on the topic of cloning . . . if you agree with cloning animals, would you agree with cloning humans? Food for thought! :Jumpy:

I probably would eat it, I've eaten "natural" animals that most normal folks wouldn't like goat, squirrel, rabbit and possum :Jumpy:

Since I'm a twin, I guess in a way, I've already been cloned. :o But no, I don't think I like the idea.

The ABC news did a bit more clarification on the story tonight, the CLONED animals wouldn't be used for food or milk, just for breeding. Their offspring would be used. Actually Peggi's right, twins & multiples are a "natural" cloning process. As for cloning people, it's like so many scientific theoretical scenarios, just because it COULD possibly be done doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be done.

I guess it would depend on the FDA and what kind of regulations they were required to put on cloned meat...Although like folks have said in a different topic, words can be bent very easily, so it's very possible we wouldn't know if we were eating cloned or "natural" meat.

We don't know enough about it yet, so I wouldn't knowingly do it.

If you think about it, why don't clones survive very long? Genetic abnormalities. What's up with that if they are supposed to be clones? Would the abnormalities be harmful to humans if we ingest them? Who knows really..... :whistle:

why don't clones survive very long? Genetic abnormalities

I thought that was because the original experimental animals were already mature and there was a certain amount of degrading of the DNA (and probably RNA) that would affect the clones.

If after all the years I've been eating chicken I haven't sprouted feathers, or scales from eating fish, I must not assimilate those critters' DNA when my body's busy extracting the vitamins, minerals & protein & fat. Again, the news report isn't talking about eating the CLONES, but their offspring; if the DNA is healthy enough to survive the offspring ought to be at least as healthy & safe as the original donor critter the clone was harvested from.

We already eat genetically engineered food, y'all...

I saw the clip on the news about cloning animals for food too...and the question that surfaced in my mind was..."is there really a need to do that???" is there a shortage of livestock??? If that were the case, well then, okay, I guess that there would be a need for it, but if not, then why??? Just because they can, doesn't mean they should...

is there really a need to do that???" is there a shortage of livestock
It might be useful to do genetic manipulation on the clones to try to eradicate mad-cow disease and the bird-flu to make our food supply safer. In the end we might be eating healthier animals.

maybe if they create more livestock, they can help support soup kitchens and homeless shelters a little better

I'm all for that!

hmmm. if the cloning might produce healthier livestock then that would be good, but i join Irene in wondering what other reasons there might be.

showing my ignorance, here: wouldn't livestock breeding and development of vaccines be faster, easier, cheaper, and less controversial than cloning?

there's a lot of uneasiness abt the engineered veggies, grains, etc.