Westville Exterior has a personality!

judithfa

OK, the Westville is getting lovable! The exterior is finally beginning to look the way I want it to look. I gave up with the weathered grey – I just could not get the colors the way I wanted them to be, and I was destroying the siding in the process!

I painted the exterior a light grey and the trim is semi-gloss white enamel. The door is Air Force Blue since the owners are Air Force officers. The chimney is not finished. The roof shakes are stained MinWax Golden Pecan. The roof is all the same color – but it doesn’t look that way in the pictures. I can’t decide if I want shutters or not.

The porch will have a really open look with the steps going across the front and just three simple, square posts to support the balcony. The balcony goes across the entire house and when it gets to the bedroom its shape follows the shape of the bay window below it, keeping the Westville charm. I am thinking of using the Greenleaf porch railing top edge as the top edge of the porch, and the bottom of the railing as the railing for the balcony.

I love the way the den looks with its high ceiling and I am sorry that I did not think to do that in the bedroom – but I ain’t bashin’ no more.

The house sits on a 2’ x 4’ plywood base. I want to raise the area of the house so that I can somehow have the land slope down to the beach and ocean – don’t know how I am doing this yet. Anyway, as I look at the house, I can already smell the ocean (at high tide only, please!) and feel its breeze.

I added this dialog and some pics to the blog.

:)

well I went and looked at the photos and it looks very impressive.

you have done an excellent job in bashing but still reserve the original charm of the house!

looking forward to more.

nutti :)

Judith, it's looking really nice! I can't wait to see the inside. :blink:

I just updated my blog as well. Haven't done a ton lately... I have been distracted by other projects. :)

Thanks, all. I am really committed to making some decent progress on this house. Trouble is, I have to calm down my "real life" first.

Emily -- I looked at your pictures and I love your kitchen! I think it is a terrific idea to wall in the stairs on the second floor rather than have the stairs come up in the bedroom. After all, the little people need some privacy. Are you going to add a dormer in the bedroom?

:)

I plan to add a dormer, in the same place as yours, but it'll have a window on it. My goal is not to have a taller wall (I plan to put the bed on that wall and don't mind if the ceiling over it is sloped), but to provide a window so it's easier to see into the room (especially to get a view of the closet).