Have any of you heard of Compactors?

Shakyshaky

Negligees, perhaps. I won't buy secondhand underwear, either. My stepdad was an orthopedic technician and the only reason not to wear gently used shoes (other than they're the wrong size) is if the innersoles are dirty or damaged. Innersoles can be replaced.

Secondhand underwear is just....icky in my opinion. My mom and sister thought I was weird, but when I was growing up, I would NEVER borrow undies from them. Thankfully, I was much smaller than both of them so I never had them ask to borrow any of mine. I know they are my family, and if they had anything weird, I would have probably gotten it anyway, seeing as I lived with them, but it was still just too weird for me. I won't wear Eric's boxers now, either, although his t-shirts are fair game (he's so tall that they make great nighties on me!) :doh:

I bought blazers for myself at the local thrift shop for about $5. - $7.00 each, had them dry cleaned and saved a lot of money for name brand garments. I get really great deals at Boscov's. They have great clearance racks. I shop using coupons, and combine these savings when the store is offering them as a weekly sale. I buy extra of the sale items with as many coupons as I can find. I actually send in my refunds. I once had so much toothpaste that I got for free or next to free I had to stop buying more. I also save money in the grocery store be not being brand fussy and use what is on sale. Fresh produce is purchased from the farmers mart. I drive a car with a lot of miles on it. My sister says she gets a new car because she gets tired of the one she has. I have saved a lot of money on car payments and don't feel deprived because of my life style. I believe I could be a compactor for a year without a problem.

I just went to Salvation army yesterday and got Nat a cotton nightgown and a practically new flannel pj set (the real fuzzy warm ones they sell in retail stores now). I also bought myself two shirts. My total for the day: $8.00!

Where are you going to get 2 newish shirts and two sets of sleepwear for $8 retail? Even if the store is going out of business you wont find prices like that!

There is also another price saving store that I think is only in New England. Anyone else shop at Ocean State Job Lot?

My coffee maker pooped the bed yesterday (horrors!) and I got a new red Cuisenart one for $25! Matches my decor! I am so happy.

I am thrifty, but my husband is not. I always buy store brands and we get a lot of our clothes second hand. I know some people are going to think I'm insane, but I actually used cloth diapers for my daughter when she was a baby. I know that saved a bundle.

I am fortunate that I have a mother who loves to by things for her grandchildren. The kids have NEVER had to do without! But as for going a whole year without any new extras? I'm not sure I could do it. It sounds like something I would try, but I know my husband would evenually break down and buy something fun - he's a very impulsive buyer. Those little extras by the check-out lanes get him every time. :o

First question...Does that mean going without internet? :roflmao:

I was raised in a family with four sisters. I was the youngest. So, I had alot of hand-me-downs. I go to the thirft stores to look for things like sheets for my rabbit. He loves to cover up with them. I usually pay .50 cents to $1.00. Bunny usually gets about 6 blankets out of one sheet, so that is a bargain. Also, you can find other 'fabrics' there for making mini things. I just made a bed cover and ruffle from a cloth napkin. As for clothing, I don't get them from thrift stores, at least not any more. I used to, but things are a little better money wise and I just have one child to buy for. DH and I don't go out often and never anywhere fancy, so we don't have a large wardrobe. I can wear jeans to work, so that is the main part of my clothing. I am not a big coupon user, but I do try and get most things on sale. I will plan a menu around the sales. I always take a list too. They say that it helps you keep track of your spending, but for me..I just need it because I can't remember half of the things I need. :lol:

There are a lot of things I can go without and not feel too badly about. Other things, I think would be difficult. I can't imagine going an entire year without visiting my friends here on the forums. :lol:

My question is why would you want to be a compactor...so you can not have what you want in life and deserve, but then get old and die and leave it to your kids by which time in their lives they won't need it to?

My parents helped me when I needed it when I was younger and just starting out. I do the same for my kids and still have all that I want and need.

No dollhouse stuffs, no other shopping accept for necessities, that won't work.... then I won't have enough plastic bags for my garbage...thus making them a necessity that I will have to buy.

First question...Does that mean going without internet? :wave:

There are a lot of things I can go without and not feel too badly about. Other things, I think would be difficult. I can't imagine going an entire year without visiting my friends here on the forums. :banana:

Nope, neither can I. Internet chatting has kept me sane during the years since my kids left the country. My son is in Okinawa and my daughter was in Puerto Rico for 2 years where hubby was stationed. She's now back in the states but still 6 hour drive away. We hope to move back there this year sometime or early next year. Empty nest syndrome is pretty bad for me. Having friends to chat with online keeps me from thinking about it too much. :wave:

Kat

Noooooooo I could not live without my internet!

I remember when I came home form my sisters house when I was younger and she had shown me the "internet" I was hooked back then but dad said AHHHHH that is just one of them passing fads hehehe.

Hugs,

Bec

Yup no internet, no unessecary ( sp?) clothes only what you need to survive.

Some of these people did it to help the planet and some did it to help thier pocket book. There is a benefit to it. You learn what is a true need and a true want. If you use the extra money to pay off debt it can actually make you free to enjoy life more. They only did it for a year. ( also 6 months a few years before.) People now a days ( boy do I sound old) have very little money skills and can not tell a need from a want.

That's very true Melanie, I had to live without much of anything extra over the past few years and I'm very close to debt free as a result. Another year ought to do it. Then I can have fun again. The past year has been much easier on us. Not perfect but much better and occasionally we can even have some of the wants now. :wave:

Kat