Quitting Smoking Members?

cjack

Are there any members out there who are trying to quit smoking too? Yup, have been a smoker for 35 years now and want to quit. My doctor has me on a new drug called Chantix. I think it will work but not smoking pretty much scares me. (should be the other way around.....right?) But all you smokers or former smokers will know what I am talking about. Would love suggestions on how everyone did it. I am also trying to lose weight (lost 28 lbs. so far!) and don't want to sabotage my diet, but know I have to quit smoking. Help and suggestions needed!!!!

Cathy I wish you luck. I too am a smoker of many years and have tried to quit numerous times. The last attempt was my best and I went 2 months while wearing the patch but then gave in the night before my DH surgery for the known comfort and haven't been able to get back on board.

I have recently bought more patches and am trying to get back in the mindset. Next week is my birthday and so I'm going to try very hard to pyche myself up to make it my Quit day also.

I found that keeping toothpicks or those dental floss sticks handy and chewing on them helped me before, also the strong Altoids and another thing which sounds strange is the new Listerine Spray. That stuff is strong and when I used it, it would take my mind off for at least a few minutes on the desire. These are things that will not sabatoge your weight loss. Whereas before when I tried I would rely on hard candy, but those calories really add up.

Right now while preparing to quit, I'm trying real hard to figure out my main triggers and usually it hits when I'm worried and stressed out about a family member.

Good luck and hopefully next week, I will join you in this.

Congrats on your decision to quit, and best of luck.

I'm not a smoker, but my husband is. He's tried numerous times to quit in the past, including Welbutrin (I think that's how it's spelled) and started on Chantix about six weeks ago. He hasn't had a cigarette in 5 weeks (the first week is to get the drug into your system, you set a quit date of 7 days after you start). Considering that this began just before the Christmas festivities, I have to say I am impressed with the results! We fly 3000 miles cross country at Christmas, drive up and down the California coast to see everyone - certainly not the best time of year to try and quit. My husband spent time with friends who are smokers, and still didn't have one. Seems successful so far! Part of the difference this time, I have to admit, has been his attitude. He decided to quit on his own and has stuck to it. In the past others, including myself, have pressured him to try, and it didn't work.

He replaced the oral fixation of cigarettes with toothpicks, which he soaks in cinammon flavored water. Keeps him occupied, and so far he has avoided the usual urge to replace smoking with food. Chantix is a long regime - 12 weeks I think. At the beginning it was the usual jitteriness and inability to sleep well, but that seems to have subsided. He smoked for 15 years before quittting.

I'm not sure if his experience, told from a third person point of view, helps, but if you have any specific questions about Chantix, feel free to pm me and I'll ask him how he felt (feels) while taking it. :D

What type of medication is Chantix? Is it in the same class as welbutrin? I've also tried Welbutrin in the past and it didn't help. I've not heard of the Chantix before though.

I want to quit too, I've smoked for about 35 years. I quit 2 times, and did good, a year each time, until my son got very ill and they told me he wasn't going to make it out of the ER, 2 different times, both times I walked out of the hospital and got a cig off of the first person I came to.

Now I have to quit for good, I'm not feeling well and I've started to cough, not alot but enough that I know its the smoking. But I'm just not making any progress. I do pretty good during the day, but in the evening working on minis, or here on the computer, I blow it all. I'm smoking now while talking about trying to quit.

That is pathetic!

I didn't know there were meds that can help you stop smoking, this is something I am definately going to talk to the Dr. about. Thanks.

I don't think Welbutrin and Chantix are the same type of medication. Welbutrin, as I understand, was an anti-depressant that they found worked for some smokers. Chantix was developed specifically to be smoking cessation pill. It supposedly blocks the good feeling that nicotine induces in the brain, so smoking is physically not as enjoyable.

There's a lot of really great information available regarding Chantix at Chantix.com. Also, if you do a Google search for Chantix, lots of good info comes up, including side effects and results from clincal trials. :D

Chantix...blocks the good feeling that nicotine induces in the brain, so smoking is physically not as enjoyable.

After more than 40 years of smoking, the last 20 of them impairing my health, DH quit after his last tooth extraction (about 10 years ago) because the cigarettes suddenly tasted "nasty" to him. He had a brief stint of larding up (he got over 200 pounds) and began to ride a bicycle. We have become even more physically active since retirement & he is back down to his more normal 175-178 (he's 6' tall) and still doesn't smoke.

I wish you all the best of luck in quitting, whatever it takes to get you to do so.

I quit smoking in 2004. Now I feel so much better and HATE to be around people that smoke cause it stinks.

I loved to smoke and said if I was on a island and could only bring two things it would be Mt Dew and Cigs LOL

I really enjoyed it, but I had a friend that had been discussing quitting and I thought it over for several months on my own and bought some patches and quit. Now mind you I am stubborn and someone at work said I couldn't do it, and they said that often so that is why I think never picked it back up. Now most of them are now smoke free too.

I work at a Gov office and now our building is smoke free (yeah).

I have always said if you have the will to want, you can do anything, but you have to have that will to want to do it....

Good Luck to everyone that is trying to quit, it isn't easy but you CAN do it.

(((Now to lose the weight)))) :music_band:

Congratulations!

I am seriously thinking on quitting smoking. Dont know if I will I am scared to I guess. But I am thinking on it.

A funny - I had quit smoking once was using toothpicks for my fixation. Anyways I was working on minis and was using a lighter to burn down some fibers and I dont know what or why but I lit my toothpick, must have just been a habit. lets just say it was a shocking momnet lol.

Hugs,

Bec

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been taking Chantix now for about 9 days and this is my first no smoking day. (I had a few cigs left to decided to smoke them during day 8). Chantix is new and has very good results. My dr. says 100% of his patients he prescribed it to quit so I don't want to disappoint him. Word of warning for those wanting to get it........it is very expensive and most insurance companies won't pay for it. I have not had any side effects and don't really have the desire to smoke, just want to because that is what I did after breakfast. Guess I need to work on the habit now that the addiction seems to have been reduced. Sure wish I could drag out my minis to work on them. Would be great therapy! Good luck to all of us. :music_band:

I am on the road to quitting. My therapist told me not right now though. Too much going on for me to have to suffer through withdrawls.

Give me a couple more weeks and I should be joining you in the quitting.

I quit cold turkey about 8 yrs ago and I had quit for 4 years. You can survive w/o them. You will wonder why you ever fretted otherwise.

I recentley quit. Although I feel like I am still a smoker. I will only allow myself to smoke in one place outside and across the yard. Its too much work to smoke right now. Too Cold, also. I don't know if I will stay quit. I just found other things to do when I got the urge. I tried for a while to quit using different methods. So far what I am doing seems to work for me.

I'm a non smokers, but wish you all the best in quitting.....you are a brave lady....quit smoking and dieting at the same time.....wow......we are here to support and encourage you....

Cathy, congrats on your decision to quit!!!!! I have to admit, I'm a weirdo...I did smoke for about three years when I was younger, and I quit cold turkey....the day I met a guy who said he didn't date girls that smoked. Yep, I did, I quit for a guy...how crazy is that? Although I'm still with him and we're getting married in September.....

ANYWAY

Some suggestions...what about sugar free hard candy? Either that or sugar-free lollipops...less calories than the real stuff and they still taste pretty decent. Altoids, for sure, those are my favorites! I also found these things at evitamins.com that are called "cinnamon chewing sticks" I got them because I thought they were gum, but they are actually little flavored sticks that are REALLY strong. They might be helpful. I've also heard that brushing your teeth when you are having a craving can help (same as with losing weight) and that might have the added benefit of making your dentist really happy :music_band: . In any case, we are all here to support ya, so keep us informed!

Both DH and I are smokers, but after everything that's happened with him in the past month he has cut down majorly. I give him another month or so and he'll be done smoking. Me on the other hand, promised him I would also quit, but with the all the stress right now I don't see it happening :doh: . I did figure out that I smoke when I get stressed and when I'm bored. So once the stress is gone I just have to keep myself busy with my mini's, :D that may be a good excuse to use to buy another house. :drool:

Annette, I like the way you think! I think we should all get another mini house to do to keep our hands busy. Today was my first full day without smoking. Got really tough around 4 this afternoon but I did about 75 laps around my kitchen island till dinner was ready. Actually feel pretty good right now, but boy that 2 hr. period this afternoon just about drove me to the local store for a pack. Good thing we live in the country and there is no such thing as a "short" trip to the store. Hope tomorrow will be easier. :doh:

First of all, congratulations! I really hope you make it. I smoked for over 15 years. I quit cold turkey. I was pregnant with my son and I had to for his health. Funny that I didn't care about my own health. After two babies and not smoking I have gained 30 lbs. I think the weight gain is more from the stress of crying children than not smoking. :doh: I tried to smoke a cigarette about 6 months after my first son and it made me sick!!! I have not wanted one since. I hope you make it to that point, after that it should be a piece of cake. We're here for you!! You can do it!!

Sarah