Has anyone done these 1/4 scale houses?

KaySadler339

The new pictures give a much better indication of how well the 1:48 scale houses fit in with the HO scale ones. I showed the pictures to DH to give him layout ideas ;)

Mel, DH's trains are N-scale, also. He has enough track to lay out an oval that covers our dining table and run several cars. We have a sizeable collection of resin buildings & bridges from $Tree to make a prosperous little city :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THe Greenleaf houses are scaled to Lionel O Gauge trains. THe 3 Lionel houses are next to the church...the smallest #184 the next larger is the Dutch Colonial with the gambrel roof (like a barn) is listed as #189 and the largest the villa is listed as #191. When Lionel produced these they were making toys and scale was not of any great importance to them. They are fairly close to OO scale 1:76 or HO 1:87. In my case I liked them anyway and just placed them farther back so they would not be dwarfed by the Greenleaf buildings.

My work on my village is far from done. I need to add the sign to the sweet shop and possibly a row of Christmas lights along the eaves.

THe library needs the paper trim added...I may take a piece of thin plywood and make an overlay and cut the lettering into it as if it were cut into the stone header over the columns. I am thinking of putting more steps in front of the library with a pair of lions on pedestals with wreaths around their necks akin to the main NY Public Library...the 42 st & Fifth ave one

The Tacky Christmas house (Arthur) needs more decorations another row of lights across the porch and 2 light up plastic candles either on the porch or along the walk and possibly a santa and sleigh on the roof

The greenleaf church needs the nativity scene in the front of the churchyard

Ed

2 light up plastic candles either on the porch or along the walk

Don't forget the triple candle electric lights in every window and the cutout reindeer in the front yard with the big red bows on their necks.

Maybe a Della Robia-type wreath on the church door.

What is the half-timbered house in the back that sort of reminds me of the Harrison?

It appears that the bulk of hte village houses are scaled down versions of Greenleaf 1:12 dollhouses.

From What I can tell the Tacky Christmas house is a scaled down ARTHUR

The half timbered Tudor may be a scaled down HARRISON

Anyone else on the heritage of hte rest of the buildings?

Ed

I would love to see Village sized replicas of ALL of the dollhouses If Greenleaf doesnt do it I may be forced to draw up plans for some of them so I can have a little more variety in my village

I already have in mind a few RR buildings in proportion to the village such as a Freight house platform shed and a water tank that isnt as big as my AF metal tank

I wonder what the 2 larger Lionel metal houses would look like scaled up to full Dollhouse size especially the large one with the hip roof (dark red w/ green roof)

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Ed:

I really like the new pictures. Do you know what year the train is? I think I might have mentioned that Ray has a Lionel train set from the 1940's.

He also collects the G scale (I think that's the one - it's quite large)

Susanne

THe passenger train is positively from 1940. THe green passenger cars 2613 2614 2615 were omnly cataloged in green tat year I think THe freight train is probably 1938-1942 I think 1940 as my best guess because of the die cast coal tender rather than stamped sheet metal.

Ed

Delightful! It brings back wonderful memories of my brothers trains when we were kids........but you've taken it to a level we could only dream of. Thanks for sharing!

Deb

• 1 month later...

THis year I took up a 5x10' space in the family room and found myself a bit crowded. My plan for next Christmas is to have room for all of my buildings and add to the scenery.

I have some wonderful old lead ice skaters etc from the 30s to 60s made by Barclay. I bought a bunch of castings to put together a repro of the Barclay santa + sleigh + a full hitch of 8 reindeer just need to spend time and paint the 8 reindeer assemble the sleigh and paint and stripe it....(red with gold trim}

My barn project has been languishing due to the lack of time on my part. That will be a good size building I will probably be able to get the end doors to slide on their tracks w/o too much difficulty as will the hayloft doors

Ed

• 2 months later...

New bit of info for those that build 1/4" scale villages I found some fantastic 50s and 60s cars at walmart....most are 1/43 scale including a 59 caddy a couple of Chrysler 300 letter series a couple of Olds 442s etc at all of $2 each

Ed

Unfortunately all are top down convertibles

I found a few really good ones

Chrysler 300 C and 300 E

2 diff Olds 443s

a couple of T-birds

a couple of caddies including a 59 with the huge fins

I couldnt find the Chrysler turbine car listed on the package though

and an assortment of buicks and pontiacs from the 50s

THat will add a variety of vehicles on the cheap cheap

Ed

One of the die cast companies has a model of the ultimate firetruck system ever built. They did the NYC SuperPumper a 5 unit landgoing equivalent of a fireboat. Unfortunately it is a bit too pricey for me

I am now looking forward to the time where I can draw up the buildings I want to build and post the plans to the group so others might build them. Most of my ideas are updates of buildings from old Toy Train magazines redone with modern materials like basswood strips and milled siding rather than inking lines onto illustration board With all of the potential projects out there I would need a basketball court to build a layout on

Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the idea of doing an interior on the RR station...Stationmasters office w/desk telegraph etc waiting room w/ benches, pot belly stove etc and the baggage room w/scalebaggage truckis etc

Add ons would be a freight house and a switch tower with a full interlocking machine and track map visible through the uppstairs windows

For now I will just do interior lights and do the interiors some oither time

Ed

• 4 months later...

It is almost Halloween so it must be time for me to start planning my under tree village. I am extending out into the family room by 2-2.5 ft more last year 5x10 this year 7x10. Upper level needs a bit of work and the Christmas tree platform needs a new top...48" diameter so I can run a circle of track around it for 1 more train. Lower level may be double tracked but mostly I need room for more buildings

Potential train appearances this year:

Lionel 226 w/2613,14, 15 passenger cars...repeat of last year {green train}

Lionel 225 w/red 2600 01 02

Lionel 224 w/2650 series freight cars

AMERICAN FLYER 9900 aluminum zephyr from 1935

Buildings for this year....Greenleaf 12 an absolute must

lionel 3 a must

3 Dept 56 ceramics

A couple of Kohl's St Nicholas series

Possibles 2 MTH powerhouses to hide train electricals

T reproductions big station

Taxi stand from Rich-Art