1/12/07 Your Favorite Quote

Minis On The Edge

What is one of your most favorite Quotes? (Okay you can quote more than one :o ) I love to read people signature lines because some of you have wonderful quotes in them. Post your favorite Quote here. One of mine is:

Fear is the main source of superstition, and one of the main

sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.

- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to choose one or two? That is hard. I keep a document of quotes I read, hear, etc. and choose one or two for my signatures and change them every once in awhile.

Ok, if I have to choose a couple here they are:

“Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.”

- Louisa May Alcott

“The best portion of a good man's life is the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.”—William Wordsworth

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."—Mark Twain

My first quote is the one I made up on my signature.

I am venturing into a new way of life. Where the heck is my life preserver?

I thought up that one about 5 years ago after I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

And then there is:

A garden is never so good as it will be next year

I have that on a plaque.

My mom gave me most of my favorite quotes, but I don't know where she got them from. They are:

"Be careful what you ask for--you may get it."

"If you don't have anything nice to say, then keep your mouth shut."

"Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see."

My very most favorite quote, by which I try to steer my course through life?

"Would some Power the giftie gi'e us

to see oursel'es as ithers see us,

'twould from mony a blunder free us

and foolish notion." Robert Burns

This is actually from a Chinese fortune cookie that I still have taped to my computer monitor

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think"

When I was in high school, I had a notebook in which I kept all the cool quotes I wandered into...I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it

My favorite quote is also from my mother. She used to tell me...."If you fall out of that tree and break both legs, don't come running to me about it." I could never figure that one out. Of course, she also used to tell me that if the boogey man ever took me, he would bring me back. :lol: I knew of course that she was joking around. :roflmao:

I've got a couple that I've always liked...the 1st one is part of a song (Thank you goo-goo dolls) and the other is from the Readers Digest and I just thought it was pretty funny....

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

"Help stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy"

:roflmao:

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

This is one of my absolute favorites!

Another favorite "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby

And my all time favorite (unknown author) would have to be "I smile because I'm your mother - I laugh because there's nothing you can do about it!"

hmmm, this is tough.

my favorite short quote probably is "I am vertical." it's the title of a poem by Sylvia Plath.

From Dorothy Parker, a wonderful wicked wit. Here are two of hers:

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

and

"Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common."

this is from Gloria Steinem:

"Law and justice are not always the same. When they aren't, destroying the law may be the first step toward changing it."

ya know, i think she was prophetic, given the "Greenleaf or Bust" minimovement of 2006. She said,

"One day, an army of gray-haired women may quietly take over the earth."

From Gwendolyn Brooks, there is this:

We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond.

I have a few favorites......

"Distant and time may separate us but friendship and memories want"

"A friend is like a four leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have"

If you have nothing good to say about someone, say nothing at all.....my mom always said that to us

"Two things are infinite...the universe and human stupidity...and I'm not sure about the universe" -- Albert Einstein

I have definitely have fallen under the human stupidity category at times, as I'm sure we all have. Thankfully I have managed walk away a little wiser from most of my stupid moments...lol!!!