Newbie from KC, MO area

SandDee

Hi Sandy -

Just wanted to say HI as you are in much the same position as me... I've just purchased the Orchid too. However, in my case, it will be my very first dollhouse. I'm headed off to a miniatures/dollhouse shop over the weekend for some advice and to pick out paints and pick up a hot glue gun. So looking forward to this project.

Just thought since we were going to be doing the same house, maybe we could be "project buddies".

Best of luck to you! Hope to hear back...

Melissa

Just wanted to say HI as you are in much the same position as me... I've just purchased the Orchid too. However, in my case, it will be my very first dollhouse. I'm headed off to a miniatures/dollhouse shop over the weekend for some advice and to pick out paints and pick up a hot glue gun. So looking forward to this project.

Just thought since we were going to be doing the same house, maybe we could be "project buddies".

Hi Melissa, and welcome to the community!

A lot of folks here have done or are doing the Orchid. Check the Blogs area for the Team and Community blogs on the Orchid that give step-by-step records of the build. And ask as many questions as you need to.

I'm going to answer a question you didn't ask ... don't use a glue gun to assemble your house! Due to changes in glue chemistry and other factors, hot glue is no longer a good method of house construction. The instructions with your Orchid need to be updated. Folks here have made good use of yellow wood glue (various brands), Aileen's Tacky Glue (a popular craft glue) and other similar white glues. These take longer to dry than hot glue and must be clamped or taped in place while drying, but you can spend that time sanding other pieces. :groupwave:

Do take some time to read through the various hints and helps here for the answers to questions you don't even know you have yet. :D Prime? Stain? Why do I need Spackle, wood filler and/or paintable caulk? Wallpaper? Wallpaper when? Wallpaper paste? Which kind? False walls and/or flooring? Why? Electrify? Round wire or tapewire? There are more ways to approach these aspects of house building than you can imagine, and there is somebody on here who will swear by each different way. It's one of the things that's so interesting about miniatures -- there's no right or wrong way, just YOUR way. And there are NO mistakes -- they're challenges, and challenges can be overcome. :groupwave:

Don't be intimidated. And above all, have fun with your Orchid. It's a beautiful little house!

Hi, and :banana: , Melissa

I'm headed off to a miniatures/dollhouse shop over the weekend for some advice and to pick out paints and pick up a hot glue gun
don't use a glue gun to assemble your house! Due to changes in glue chemistry and other factors, hot glue is no longer a good method of house construction.

What Kathie said. If you can manipulate the glue stringlessly some people use it to tack the walls together whilst regular carpenter;s wood glue (or tacky glue) dries, but I promise that clamps/ masking tape/ heavy-duty staples (my personal choice because it works for me) are better. It;s also used by some for attaching shingles, but if you live in a warm or humid climate you might rather not...

:) to the forum!

I know that you will have a lot of fun browsing the different forums as well as finding all the friendly people around for whatever question that might arise!

Mini-hugs