Just signed up

marilynb

Well, I have been lurking for a while & I finally registered!

I have not gotten started on minis yet, but am looking so forward to getting started.

I have always had a love for doll houses but NEVER had one.

Which house or project should I start with first?? My husband almost got me the Greenleaf/Garfield for christmas but I got a necklace instead.

I don't even know where to begin, or what tools to get. I guess I will start by going to a shop located in Dallas & get some tips from the people there. I have also subscribed to a magazine & have been looking here & surfing the web.

Anxious to get started!

Marilyn

The Garfield is a lovely house...but HUGE. I never did anything like this before..and started with the Garfield. I have to say I learned a lot of new skills, and a few new "colorful" words along the way! :) My Garfield is nearly done, and I'm in the midst of rehabbing a much smaller house...and thinking that, if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably have started on the smaller house, learned skills that I then could apply to the larger more elaborate Garfield..

But hey -- go to the store, check out the various choices, and then see where your heart takes you!

Welcome to the group!! It is an awesome place

I would also say to start with something a little smaller than the Garfield for your 1st house, that way you will get a "feel" for building and decorating and such then move onto larger houses

Dollhouses are like lays potato chips.......you can't have just one lol

Hi, welcome to the forum. Look at the gallery here at all the houses and see what catches your eye. Do you have a large house and no furniture? Or a small house with a large empty corner? Dollhouses are addictive. Like potota chips, you can never have just one. I personally would recommend a smaller house (orchid, buttercup, arthur) that you can practice on. If you make a mistake, it would be easier to fix on one of these houses. You will also get to know your personal building technique. Then jump to a big house or you may enjoy it enough to have several smaller ones instead. Have fun.

Hi and :thumb: I also would suggest a small house to start. One you will learn a lot doing it to apply towards your dreamhouse and two you will be able to finish it quicker so satisfaction more quickly which is always good when starting something new. Feel free to ask questions. You will find we are always happy to answer questions rather quickly.

Good luck!!

:giggle:

Carrie

hello, and welcome! :thumb:

i'm new too, and for me it's important to have an affordable project that won't engulf the entire living space. just a thought. :giggle:

if you have a particular vision of what you want the house to be, that may help guide your shopping.

have fun!

Hello and welcome!

Yippee for Texas! One of my favorite places I have ever lived! I used to live in Plano. I regret moving back here to Utah.

I used to say buy whatever house you want and dig in....however my attitude has changed. I say start small because you will be more likely to complete the project. A smaller house goes quicker and gives you that satisfaction of completion! You'll gain building experience and if your first project isn't your best work...at least you'll find that out before you've spent the money on a more expensive house and have regrets on your building skills later when your boo boos are harder and potentially more costly to fix. Good luck and have fun...picking the house is part of the fun! Don't be afraid to make mistakes, that is part of the process and you learn from it...wallpaper and molding are your friends when this happens :thumb:

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome & the advice.

I can't wait to get started, where ever that may be. I think my husband has realized, that by encouraging me, he may be creating a monster! Well, 'mini' monster that is. LOL He thought that he would get me a house & I would work build it & furnish it & that would be it. After seeing & hearing what I have so far, I don't believe that.

We do have a pretty large house so one room is going to be pretty much devoted to my new hobby. I already have plans of where I am going to set up a table to work & where to put my first house. I also have a 6 year old granddaughter that I may do a house with, when I get good at this. I never had one & did not do one with my daughter, so this may be fun to do with the granddaughter or maybe even both of them.

Thanks again,

Marilyn

Welcome to the forum, Marilyn. I agree with Linda, I began building with big kits and then went to smaller ones, and I use different techniques with smaller houses than I do with bigger ones. I thoroughly enjoy building, no matter what size kit!

A necklace instead of a Garfield? Hmmm.

Hi Marilyn and welcome!

My favorite dollhouse store is in Dallas ... Through the Keyhole at Preston & Forest, in the Preston Forest Shopping Center. They're on line at Through The Keyhole

Go chat with Gayle Harrison, the owner/manager. She has an active workshop program if you want a little help getting started, and she has a lot of dollhouses made up, so you can compare. And she has every kind of accessory you can think of for a dollhouse.

Every time we drive to Houston, I organize the itinerary so we'll hit Dallas during store hours. My husband hasn't caught on yet. :thumb:

Hi Marilyn and welcome to the forum...I say, take a look at the houses that are out there and the one that calls to you is the one you should start with~it really doesn't matter, large or small (of course there is the issue of where to keep it when you are done building) you will be able to tackle whatever you choose...and of course, this is the best place in the world to get the help needed while building! There are a lot of talented and helpful people on this forum so if you should get stuck, you can always post a question and you will get answers! Hope you find your house soon and I can't wait to see what you have come up with!!

Welcome to the Forum!! I am with Linda on this one, you gotta get the house you want. If you get one just because it's smaller, chances are you will not like it or the experiance! We have a lot of people who have started with the bigger houses as there first house and they turned out wonderful. Lony built a pierce in a moth as a gift to her mom (Electrifid & wallpaper too and it was her first house) you can see it by clicking here:

213570949WMZSih_th.jpg

Go For it.

The shop in Dallas is the one I was told to go to. I work in Richardson, so I am not too far from it. I am off work today, but I believe some of our roads are still icy, so I'd better stay in.

I have a question. I have noticed on some of the houses, there is a reference of 'bashed'. What does that mean? Does it mean that it started out as one kit & was totally transformed??

Thanks,

Marilyn

The shop in Dallas is the one I was told to go to. I work in Richardson, so I am not too far from it. I am off work today, but I believe some of our roads are still icy, so I'd better stay in.

I have a question. I have noticed on some of the houses, there is a reference of 'bashed'. What does that mean? Does it mean that it started out as one kit & was totally transformed??

Thanks,

Marilyn

Hello and welcome to the forum Marilyn! Yup, a bashing is somehoe altering the kit and make it more of your own "design" so to speak, perhaps adding a room, taking down a wall or actaully more or less use the bits and pieces you have around to make the house into that extra special place you had envisioned....

Hugs

Hello Marilyn & welcome :)

I'd say the same as many others - start with a smaller house. It's a much more instant buzz, as the building takes shape & you see your creation being born :w00t:

Then you can start on your 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc etc :wave:

Jackie