New from Southern California

lissabird

Hi Everyone -

First I want to say thanks to KathieB and havannaholly for cluing me in on another post that I should NOT use a hot glue gun on my house. Thanks ladies - I will definitely go for the plain old wood glue and masking tape to secure it while drying...

Anyway, a bit about me. I just purchased my first dollhouse kit (the Orchid) and am very excited to start. I've wanted a dollhouse my whole life. Never had one as a child myself, but never wanted one of the "play" kind anyway. I was talking about it at Christmas time with my sister-in-law and she convinced me that I should just give it a try... so here I am.

I will be headed to a dollhouse/miniatures shop this weekend to purchase my first round of supplies. I'll check in as soon as I start to let you all know how it is going. Right now I am going to read up on the tips to get a heart start.

Thanks!

Melissa :banana:

Hi Melissa! Welcome! what part of Southern Cali are you in if you dont mind me asking? I live in San Diego, CA. I only know of 1 dollhouse shop near me that is in el cajon.

The Orchid is a beautiful house! and great as a first time building! This is a wonderful community with alot of talent. I look forward to seeing ur progress on ur house!

welcome welcome!

Here's a formal welcome to you, Melissa, and I hope you don't think all we do is yell at people what NOT to do, because that's not at all what we meant!

The Orchid is a sweet little house & very versatile. I built mine mostly in a travel trailer.

Hi and :banana: ! The Orchid is a great house. It was the first one I completed by myself. Be ready to be overwhelmed at the dollhouse store. Most of them I could spend hours looking at things and still feel like I didn't see everything (and certainly can't afford everything I want). Have fun!!

:birthday:

Carrie

Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcome.

I actually found a dollhouse shop fairly near to the house (we live in Hermosa Beach by the way which, for those of you who don't know California, is a beach area of Los Angeles).

Anyway, I went to the shop, told the lady there that I was just about to embark on my first project, and when I told her which house I was building she was not complimentary at all. Said they were hard to build, poor quality, etc. etc. Then she proceeded to show me some MUCH more expensive kits (made with "real" wood). They were lovely of course. But the main reason I chose the Orchid in the first place was because I am new to this and wanted a project that was more of an investment in time than money at this point. I was really put off. Again, the store was lovely, as were all of the miniature items they had, but she made me feel like I was wasting my time with this kit. :birthday:

So glad I could come home and read some of the posts here from people who've enjoyed this house and others that aren't as fancy as the ones they had in that store.

Talk at you all later!

Melissa

Hi and welcome to the reality of dollhouse stores. I'll bet she showed you all kinds of Real Good Toys dollhouses. That is all I ever see in mini stores. They make a good profit off those houses and that is why they are pushed. Enjoy going to the store and looking, but stick with these houses, they are very versatile. You can do a lot more kitbashing with greenleaf houses than those expensive kits. (and they don't weigh a ton)

hello, and welcome!

the forums are a super place to learn and share dollhouse interests. the folks are funny, generous and kind with help, and very talented.

it sounds as though the woman at the store was more interested in your wallet than in helping you find what you wanted. how foolish!

the Orchid is a really nice house. the galleries here will show you how many cool ways it can be painted, decorated. i hope you have a great time with it. :birthday:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful welcome.

I actually found a dollhouse shop fairly near to the house (we live in Hermosa Beach by the way which, for those of you who don't know California, is a beach area of Los Angeles).

Anyway, I went to the shop, told the lady there that I was just about to embark on my first project, and when I told her which house I was building she was not complimentary at all. Said they were hard to build, poor quality, etc. etc. Then she proceeded to show me some MUCH more expensive kits (made with "real" wood). They were lovely of course. But the main reason I chose the Orchid in the first place was because I am new to this and wanted a project that was more of an investment in time than money at this point. I was really put off. Again, the store was lovely, as were all of the miniature items they had, but she made me feel like I was wasting my time with this kit. :birthday:

So glad I could come home and read some of the posts here from people who've enjoyed this house and others that aren't as fancy as the ones they had in that store.

Talk at you all later!

Melissa

Hi Melissa!! Welcome!!

I'm curious to know what Dollhouse store you went to because I'm thinking it's the same one I might have been to. The one I went to is in Torrance and it's called My Doll's Place. The little old lady there told me the exact same thing you said. Don't let that discourge you, Greenleaf/Corona Concepts make great kits!

How funny, I don't live too far from you ;) I live in the Wilmington/San Pedro area.

Hi Melissa and welcome! I'm in the Inland Empire in So Cal. I'm going to check out Mott's in Fullerton, hopefully this weekend. They seem to know their stuff from looking at the website. www.minishop.com I'll let you know if it's worth a trip for you. Also, I found another dollhouse store in Newport Beach- I think it's called Garden of Miniatures. Here's the website: http://www.cadollhouse.com/ I'll let you know what I found there too once I make it over there. With 2 young kids, year round baseball, and working full time, not to mention 2 ebay stores and helping with dh's business, I'm surprised I've made any progress at all on my remodel project! :birthday: (I got tired just writing that!)

Nice to see another So Cal dollhouse builder. We should start meeting- there's quite a few of us. I'd be curious to know the name of that shop and the one Anette went to- I want to stay away from that kind of "noncustomer" service!

-Tiffany

Hi and welcome to your newest addiction I mean hobby :lol: I loved building the Orchid. I've done the wood version and the WO. Both were great fun to build. Enjoy and share some pictures of you progress.

Hi Whipet-gal/Jackie (and everyone!)

It is so funny that you asked which house I plan on next. Because I haven't even begun, and I am already hoping to do the Buttercup next (I think it would be fun to do a little shop - and I just think that one is so cute!) I'm already addicted to this. I've made my list of supplies and hope to hit one of the dollhouse stores that Tess11/Tiffany mentioned over the weekend. Hopefully the reception will be better there :lol:

Melissa

Hi Melissa-

We all are like that at first. "I'm just going to build one house and that's it." I've only been seriously into miniatures for a short period of time and I keep dreaming of all the dollhouses I want to to build. I used to be thinking about clothes and shoes and purses, and now it's saws, trim, and architecture styles. :banana:

Before you go to the two stores I mentioned, please call for their hours. I don't believe Mott's is open on Sundays and I'd hate for you to waste the gas with the prices these days! I'm pretty sure they have limited hours on Saturday too.

I want to go tomorrow, but don't know if I'll make it.

Good luck!

-Tiffany

Hi Tiffany -

I'm headed to Mott's tomorrow (open 10-4). Hooking it up with a visit to a girlfriend that lives down that way. I checked out their website and it looks like a great (if overwhelming) place. Maybe we'll be there at the same time :-) I'll let you know how it is if you don't make it over there...

Melissa

Hello and welcome, Melissa! You'll LOVE building the Orchid. She's a darling house and an easy build. You can't go wrong with a Buttercup, either. They can be turned into just about anything. Have fun shopping tomorrow!