Help, I'm freaking out

CJEP

Ok, I just heard on the radio a breaking news report (on a station that hardly ever gives breaking news reports) that a student was fatally stabbed this morning at the school I taught at last year. And of course, there isn't much information released yet, so I don't know if it is a student I know or anything. All I know is it is a 17-year-old male and the school is in lockdown but will be releasing the kids early. It is driving me crazy not knowing anything. Of course if I was there who knows if I would know much more. The only person I have been able to get in contact with is not at the building today and I don't want to call the school since I'm sure the switchboard is crazy with parents calling.

Just needed to vent. I hopefully will know something more soon.

Carrie im so sorry to hear this news!!! im keeping all the students and staff in my thoughts and prayers!!

its really scarey the stuff that happens in schools now. i know im about to date myself as very young. I graduated high school in 2003, i am 21.

when i went to high school there were 2 different school shootings with our sister schools. both ended in fatalities. not to mention the 3 different bomb threats we had at our school.

its really a shame. none of the schools here in san diego are aloud to have lockers now because kids hide drugs, guns, knives.

sorry im just ranting. it just really upsets me how these happen.

Schools violence is just horrible. It's the main reason I'm leary about teaching high school. I live in PA and it's extremely hard to get a teaching job here (over 1,000 or more applicants for one position on average) so you have to be diversified. I'm certified to teach high school business, and will accept a position in it if I'd ever get hired, but I would always be worried.

I graduated in '95. Not an extremely long time ago, but the atmosphere was so much different . Nobody would ever think of bringing a gun to school or shooting someone. We'd have maybe one or two big fights a year (always in the lunch period I wasn't in...I always missed them). Not much violence at all. When my older siblings were in high school, they had bomb threats all the time, but all the kids knew who it was and the kid would call them in from the pay phone outside the cafeteria to get out of class for the afternoon. This was in the 80s, but now when you hear a bomb threat, it's probably true!

It makes you want to homeschool your kids just to protect them.

Well, I just heard the press conference. It isn't a student I know since he was a freshman. The age reported earlier was incorrect. The student accused is a bit older. I probably don't know him, but there is a slight chance I could--his name wasn't released.

Still the community has a lot to deal with right now. I feel so sorry for them all. Please send your prayers and thoughts to them.

Schools violence is just horrible. It's the main reason I'm leary about teaching high school. I live in PA and it's extremely hard to get a teaching job here (over 1,000 or more applicants for one position on average) so you have to be diversified. I'm certified to teach high school business, and will accept a position in it if I'd ever get hired, but I would always be worried.

I graduated in '95. Not an extremely long time ago, but the atmosphere was so much different . Nobody would ever think of bringing a gun to school or shooting someone. We'd have maybe one or two big fights a year (always in the lunch period I wasn't in...I always missed them). Not much violence at all. When my older siblings were in high school, they had bomb threats all the time, but all the kids knew who it was and the kid would call them in from the pay phone outside the cafeteria to get out of class for the afternoon. This was in the 80s, but now when you hear a bomb threat, it's probably true!

It makes you want to homeschool your kids just to protect them.

The school where this happened sounds more like the school you went to then anything. Last year I had a student who had only lived in New England for a couple of years and didn't understand why he couldn't talk about the guns he liked and bring in pictures of them. He got in trouble for showing pictures of guns he wanted to buy (similar to what he claimed all the students talked about at his hometown school in Georgia). He didn't understand that other students saw it as a threat and that is why he got in trouble. I think that is why this stabbing is so shocking.

I taught in high schools for 13 years. I never feared for my life or for the life of my students. When Columbine happened (we happened to be on break) the discussion with teachers was that we were sure the teachers had a clue that something was wrong with the students. They probably couldn't do anything since our country supports the parents over the schools on most issues and teachers and schools feel as their hands are tied. When a student found a threatening note stuck in a desk in my classroom about blowing up the school I took it to one of the assistant principals and we easily picked out who wrote it from my class lists. He was new to the school and when they researched his background they discovered a history of violence yet all of us saw it rather quickly in knowing him. Unfortunately when teachers bring up these issues with parents, the parents don't always listen and then blacklist the teacher to make it almost impossible to teach well from that point on.

Anyway, there are plenty of safe schools out there. You just have to look into them and see how they deal with problems. Most of the schools I taught at had a no tolerance for violence and/or weapons. Anyone caught with a weapon was instantly expelled. It cut down a lot of the violence and made the other students feel safe as well.

Violence as a whole is getting so close latley, I am keeping the kids, parents and staff in my thoughts hoping there will come something good out of this somehow someday.

As a teacher over here I am trying to imagine how a think like this might have affected me personally if it had happened in my school and I just cant grasp it at all!

Hugs

I'm sorry to here this news.....my thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.....and the other students at the school....when I worked when something like this happens....it takes it toll on everyone in the school.....

I feel so sorry for kids today...back when I was in school (dinosaurs walked the earth...lol) the only thing ya had to worry about was being teased or getting in trouble for not doing your homework...nowadays, kids not only have much more homework to worry about, but also they need to worry about their peers holding a grudge over some minor issue and bringing a gun or knife to school to settle the problem with...What has happened to our society??? How did we get to this point???

My dd goes to an urban high school.

She sees the occasional fight but they have a city police officer on staff all day.

One of the biggest problems in her school is fires. Some kids think it is funny to start fires in the restrooms so everyone has to go outside during the fire alarm..they probably skip then. The whole school is made of cinder blocks so the fires never get any farther then the trash can they are started in..

Huh..see how calm I am talking about it..so blase.. I guess cause my kid doesnt associate with any troublemakers (she is well liked) and none of the drama..

Nat will be another story!

I read the article in the paper yesterday about the murder at that school. So sad. Plus the boy who did it has a genetic disorder on top of that, Asperger`s..(i think i remember it being genetic) It is a form of autism.

Even though he did that horrible thing I hope they take into account his disorder. It would be a shame to shove him into prison without specialized care. Okay that was an oxymoron Prison-specialized care.

What a sad thing. I'll bet it was over something insignificant too. What a waste of life for the both of them, how sad for the families and friends.

There were fights when i was in school, just the normal pushing and shoving, not with weapons. When I was in 11th grade, one of my schoolmates brought a gun. We were sitting in art class and he let me feel the shape of it thru his coat pocket. He told me not to tell anyone. I never did. I still remember the chill i felt. I wish i had reported him to the teacher. Now I wouldn't hesitate to do a thing like that, back then I felt intimidated.