The Lily

Helen

This is the second doll house I've built, but the first to use curved roof parts. The directions say to wet the wood with paper towel, but that didn't seem to allow the wood to move. Does anyone have any guidance on how to bend the wood for the roof?

Helen, If you'll read in my Glencroft blog where I bent the curved part of the roof over the front door, lay out your roof and I use a carpenters steel square to do this, find the perpendicular to the roof's lower edge and mark 1" intervls straight across. Go back and score these (I use a Stanley knife & the steel straight edge) and either with the knife or a hoby saw continue to score them through abouth the first ply of the wood and you ought to be able to get it to curve with GENTLE, steady pressure.

• 4 months later...
Probably way late for you but I wrapped them around gallon paint cans, first with rubber bands and sprayed it regularly with water from a spray bottle. As it started to bend I tied it tighter and tighter til it stayed at the bend I needed.

I did this and then still had to go back and rescore the lines a little deeper (or rather I convinced dh to do it for me) before I got the thing to bend around the coffee cans. I was afraid I had wet the roof parts so much that they would come apart. LOL

Peggi