Has Anyone Ever Torn A Calf Muscle

SuzyQ

I think I tore a calf muscle. I went up for a spike in Volleyball tonight and did something really weird to my calf. It litterally felt like it was being ripped from the bone. Man it hurts. Ray had to come and bring me some crutches so I could get my car home LOL.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done that and what to do about it. I cannot even put pressure on it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how awful! i'm so sorry to hear that you're hurt.

ice and elevation may help. a wrap may help as well.

sports medicine folks have been the most helpful and knowledgeable about treatment and physical therapy, in my very limited experience with knee and ankle problems.

oh, your poor leg!

sending cyberpats, cocoa, blankie.

Thanks C.J.

I checked on line and it says to ice it for 15 minutes every 2 hours then in a few days to use heat. So I will give it a try. I took some advil and it has really helped.

Ouch!! That sounds very painful. Did you have a doctor look at it? I think I would have someone look at it just to make sure there isn't any major damage that will cause problems later on. Definitely go with the ice now and heat later routine otherwise. Hope you heal quickly!!

:giggle: OuchOuchOuch! :blink:

That sounds pretty bad! If it doesn't feel better today, a doctor visit may be a good idea. I have never heard of a torn muscle before, but just the thought makes me woozy. Would the muscle need to be stitched? Ergh, I hope your leg feels better soon. :wave:

Well, I am feeling some better today. I actually slept well last night. I was really worried I was going to have charlie horses all night. The ibuprophen really works great. I have been doing what it says about the ice and elevation too. I can walk a little bit now on my tippy toe. LOL

Man my armpits are sore from the crutches. How do people stand those things!!!

I have a $5,500 dectuctible that just started over and am still getting bills for RayAnnes cast.

So I am going to give it the weekend if it isn't any better I will go see dr. Monday.

Thanks for you concerns. You all are such wonderful friends.

Oh Suzanne so sorry to hear about your injury. It really stinks to have an injury like that because you feel like you can't do anything. I'm glad your feeling a little better today. Just keep icing that's the best thing for it oh and the ibuprophin too.

Suzanne, please go have it checked out. A muscle can be torn from the bone.. DH tore a muscle loose in his shoulder. He described it as how you would imagine a window shade being pulled up. They couldn't reattached it, but did have to go in and remove bone fragments from the site. I imagine the same thing can happen to a leg muscle. He is able to use the arm because the other muscles compensate for the damaged one. He now has a "popeye" arm. The muscle just lays there.

Thank you Peggi, That sounds terrible about your husbands shoulder!!!! I sure hope I didn't do that. UGH

I am thinking that it might not be as bad as I had originally thought. It has gotten much better as the day has progressed. I am able to get around without the crutches now. But mostly on my tippy toe.

I am able to flex my foot which I couldn't do earlier. So I am hoping it was just a bad pull. Old Age creeping in probably. LOL Next time I will remember to stretch better before a game.

Poor Suzanne, I'm so sorry to hear about your "boo-boo". I hope that it gets better soon and you don't end up having to go to the doctor, but if it doesn't get better, DON'T BE STUBBORN lol. Hope you can get some rest this weekend :yes:

Man my armpits are sore from the crutches. How do people stand those things!!!

Sorry your are laid up!! That sounds rough...I winced just reading it lol

Crutches suck. I was on them for 6 weeks when I messed up my foot....by the time I was at the 3rd Dr, I told him the heck with the pain meds for the foot, I need something for my arms!! :yes:

Hope it gets better soon!!

I can sympathize about the deductible. Been there, done that. I have a limp from torn ligaments that I could not afford to fix. (and didn't have the 6 weeks to sit around and recover) Stay off your leg as much as possible, but do 'soft' exercises with it. Easy stretches, circle movements with your foot.

And from now on, do some serious stretching and warm ups before sports.

well, less pain is a very good thing, that's certain! GOOD.

OK, heard what you said about the deductible. still and all, i hope that you will have that leg checked.

i'll bet you'd make RayAnne go.

And an ounce of prevention ....

Ya'll are so sweet!!! The leg is feeling better today. RayAnne drug me to the mall for awhile. Not fun on crutches. I have much more respect for the handicapped. I couldn't believe the people that were walking on my tail. Like they couldn't go around me. Rude.

I am able to walk on it flat footed now. But cannot bend my foot as I walk. Owie!! I am able to flex it real well sitting down. We will see how it feels on Monday.

And yes your right I probably would make RayAnne go to the Dr.. LOL

Well, I guess it is time to take ya'lls advice and go see the dr. It has been 5 days with not much improvement. My leg ached all night last night.

I called and made an appointment. Found out this dr is the team physician. For the University of Tennessee and had been for the Indianapolis Colts. So I have faith that he will take good care of me.

My appointment is at 3:00