Heart Arbor Contest 2007

Peggi, couldn't you send in photos of your work in progress?

This calls to mind a cautionary tale, something one of my art professors said many years ago. He warned all art majors to beware of giving away works that were not A-1 top-notch pieces; dogs, he called them. He said you may think it's no problem, it's just Aunt Suzie and she won't mind if it isn't perfect ... but you never know what's going to happen down the line, and one day, when your work is in a gallery, Aunt Suzie is going to bring out the piece her wonderful niece or nephew made for her and wave it in front of the art critics on opening night of your show. That dog will come back to bite you!

I know this isn't quite the same thing ... but while works-in-progress are fine in galleries and blogs, maybe not as contest entries?

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken, Kathie. :whistle: I guess I was thinking that it could work if the arbor itself was finished, and it was the setting that hadn't been completed. I just didn't want anyone to lose out on the fun of participating.

My own entry ended up much smaller than my original plan - yet I feel it was an acceptable project. The photos aren't staged well (no light box, or draping, etc.) - but they do show the "piece".

BTW - I received my confirmation receipt ... YAY!!

Thanks for the suggestion Jackie, but no I wouldn't even attempt it without it being completed. Plus I want it to be special cause I'm going to try and make it a memorial type thing to my brother I recently lost. But I do appreciate you thinking about me.

I just got done downloading the last of the entries. All contestants should have been notified that we received their pictures. If not, please contact me immediately at thewinner@greenleafdollhouses.com .

There are a total of 36 entries and they all look fantastic! I will be meeting with the judges for their final decisions on Monday. Shortly thereafter, I will post all the entries in a special contest gallery so everyone can see these works of art. The winners will be posted in a new topic in this forum before noon on the 20th.

Good luck everybody and thanks for you participation!

Dean

This calls to mind a cautionary tale, something one of my art professors said many years ago. He warned all art majors to beware of giving away works that were not A-1 top-notch pieces; dogs, he called them. He said you may think it's no problem, it's just Aunt Suzie and she won't mind if it isn't perfect ... but you never know what's going to happen down the line, and one day, when your work is in a gallery, Aunt Suzie is going to bring out the piece her wonderful niece or nephew made for her and wave it in front of the art critics on opening night of your show. That dog will come back to bite you!

I know this isn't quite the same thing ... but while works-in-progress are fine in galleries and blogs, maybe not as contest entries?

Mine wasn't totally finished (the arbor is all decked out but I ran out of time to finish the rest of the scene) but I sent in pics anyway. I kinda wish I hadn't now. :whistle: Oh well too late now.

That Beacon Hill would look really nice next to an E. Row, MHM, and oooh maybe a Kozbro dh? *hint hint*

ROFL

Good Luck everybody! The wait is gonna vex me.

36 entries! Wow! That's 108 pieces of eye candy on Tuesday! Yeah! Where do they find the room to house all these photos and galleries?!

And even more, depending how many people tracked their work and have albums sitting in private mode right now. I set that up yesterday - my first album, that was fun to do too!

That Beacon Hill would look really nice next to an E. Row, MHM, and oooh maybe a Kozbro dh? *hint hint*

ROFL

Good Luck everybody! The wait is gonna vex me.

yep heidi that was my excuse to caleb when i bought my beacon hill kit last month.. that is would just look SOOOO great next to my Emerson Row and my Willowcrest. LOL

I have my eyes on the vineyard cottage.. i LOVe that kit so much! i was so bummed when i lost a very high bid for that house last month on ebay!

good luck everyone!

Oh wow, can't wait to see all the entries! =) I couldn't participate this time, the kit wouldn't have been here in time though... silly oversea shipping.... :cucumber: But hopefully I can join the next contest! :thank_you:

Holy moly, 36 entries! That is an awesome turnout!! Congratulations to everyone who participated . . . you're already winners!!

I'm anxiously anticipating the unveiling . . . I know I'm going to find lots of inspiration in those photos!! :thank_you:

OK, I couldn't wait to post the pictures... they're just too good! I have set up a gallery under the Community Contests and Classes which you will find here. I listed the entries alphabetically (sorry Wendy). The winners will still be announced on the 20th.

Thanks again everybody!

Dean

Wow... incredible!! No wonder you couldn't wait to post them! Can we comment, or is there a chance of swaying judges with anything we say?

I love everything everyone did - everybody is SO creative!! I have a million questions, I really hope people put together galleries showing some of their steps and what they've done. Speaking of which, can those galleries be open to the public now, or should we wait until Tuesday?

<standing and appluading all the entries> Well done!! Once again, I'm amazed at the extreme talent of the members of this forum. I've spent the past hour going thru the gallery and have oohed and aaahed the whole time. I went thru it fast the first time to see all the entries as quick as I could, then went back and savored each individual picture. There's so much creativity!! I saw things that I never would have dreamed of in my wildest imagination. Kudos to everyone who entered the contest, and to Dean and Tracy for holding such a great contest.

Deb

Thank you for posting the pictures early, because we will be preparing to leave for our nearly three week jaunt and I really wanted to see them. As expected, the entries are awesome and I pity the judges a terrible, hard job.

All the entries are awesome. I'm certainly am glad that I'm not a judge. I too, have questions about how some of the effects were achieve.

Great job everyone!!!!

Wow. Our Community members certainly are talented! Such creativity ... it's overwhelming!

And it was nice to see some new names among the entrants. I hope they will join in the forum conversations, too.

Thank you, Dean and Tracy, for making this possible. It was a treat to participate. :drool2: