What do you do with Your House 2/1/07

Minis On The Edge

When you are finished building and decorating your dollhouse, do you buy new furniture for each new dollhouse you complete? Do you have a special place to display them? How many do you have finished on display now at your home?

Hmmm... finished houses, I have some that are "done" and so far I have only added a few accessories to them after they are done, ie the small things that I might not have had time to do before of were able to find but I haven't actually gone and bought new pices of furniture, but I have replaced them with items that I received in swaps the fitted the scene better.

I have just one house downstairs, ie the bike shop is in the living room, the other Primrose for my BIL is living with him now, and then the ones that are "mine" are in my craftroom as I Have an L-shaped table set up where they each have their own place.

Hugs

Well...I'm not quite sure how to answer this. My Garfield isn't quite finished....but I've decorated it. And move the stuff around from time to time, where I think it will "fit better". And I've already decided that I'm going to replace some of the furnishings in it...

My Brimble is "under rehabilitation". While being redone, it's occupying my dining room table. Well, right now, it's stashed in my spare room, as company is coming, and we need the dining room table to eat on...since the kitchen table is taken up with a small project of woodburning "knots" and "flaws" into the panelling for the Brimble, and the kitchen counter is taken up with coffee stirrers that have been walnut stained for Brimble's floor.

Some of Garfield's furniture, including her fireplace, will be moved to Brimble. I've got some new stuff on order for Garfield, and for Brimble. And I'm making some stuff for both of them.

My greenhouse is on display in my dining room, on the buffet. I've got plans for him, too -- "dirt" for his flats, for example. And when my birthday FINALLY gets here! :banana: I've got clay that I'll work with to see if I can create some plants. I've got a bench on my Garfield's porch that I was going to move to my greenhouse, but I didn't "win" a bench on eBay that I was going to use for the Garfield, so for now, the bench will remain on her porch.

And then when my company comes, they're bringing me the house I won on eBay some weeks ago (the one I nearly had you pick up for me!), and I'm not quite sure WHERE I'll put it... (until it's in my hands, I'm not sure of it's gender, or what it'll want done....)

So...none are done. But folks coming to my house can see Garfield, the greenhouse, Brimble, and soon the "new one", in various stages of "done". Only the little village is put away, and that might be only temporary, as I was thinking about some things for it, too..

So an answer, sort of...

Good Question Tracy :banana:

Well I have 2 houses that are "done" my White Orchid and my Willowcrest" ... however im still adding things to them.

Both sit on a long table in my bedroom. we live in a small apartment so the only wall space i really have is that one wall in my bedroom. So that is where they live! i just built a front yard for my willowcrest and still have lots to add to it : (fence, stone walk way, etc.)

However once my Emerson Row is finished im going to place that one next to the willowcrest! Then the White Orchid will be moved to the shelf above my computer :banana:

I plan to have my houses eventually decorated for every season. im in the process right now of making "seasonal" flags. im getting a flag holder to go on the porch of my willowcrest. and for each season i will hang a new flag :banana:

Well I seem to buy furniture before I build the house. I tend to buy things in lots and keep what ever I don't use right away. Dh enclosed part of the garage for me and that is where I have all my houses. I have eleven structures in there. One is a tin house so I didn't make that one.

Good Question Tracy :banana:

I plan to have my houses eventually decorated for every season. im in the process right now of making "seasonal" flags. im getting a flag holder to go on the porch of my willowcrest. and for each season i will hang a new flag :banana:

Ohhh Jenny I love that idea. I have seasonal flags for my real house. I change them with every season/holiday.

I have completed 4 houses so far

I have my Garfield in my living room and it is busting at the seams with furniture and I keep adding stuff all the time. The White Orchid is also in the LR. It sits on a small roung table and is pretty much decorated (little white wedding chapel) with enought stuff so far but then again I will probably be adding more as time goes by.

The Arthur I built was giving to my daughter for Christmas and I added some furniture to it for her.

The Orchid was given to my sister and yes I added furniture to that also for her.

Next comes the Beacon Hill. Going to be starting that in a few weeks. I've been collecting furniture and stuff for that too. This will be displayed in my dining room.

So I guess the answer is yes every house has it's own furniture because each one has a different look or style.

After the BH I have 3 more waiting I don't know what will become of them or where they will end up.

What about you Tracy? How many houses have you kept?

I love collecting the furniture, especially Bespaq. I have enough furniture in storage to do several houses. I display my finished houses in different rooms, and occasionally replace the furnishings with others. I have several house in the works and a few still in theeir boxes. :banana:

I have built & sold four or five Buttercups (I honestly don't remember how many) and two Sugarplums and the Westville. The Haunted House was supposed to be sold but she didn't understand I wasn't giving it to her for her daughter; we live & we learn... I also sold the Westville, which I built for a friend's husband to give her for her birthday (at cost, I don't do this for a living, I just don't have very much room for the houses). The Arthur & McKinley have gone to DS#2's fiancee who is tripping down the primrose path to mini collectionhood... I gave the San Franciscan to DGD when she was 12 (she's 19 and God knows where the dh is, if it's still in existance). I have a Cambridge I shall probably give to DGD#2, who was born this morning, so I will be leaving Saturday AM to go meet her. I have a Conventry Cottage someone's interested in buying, but if they don't I won't mind. I have the Glencroft pub I'd like to keep to play with, and theOrchid store I'll keep until someone offers me incentive$ not to. I'm building the Magnolia now, and it's such an elegant-looking house that has made no bones about how she wants to look that I can't help but want to keep her.

I buy my furniture before I build the house (usually at a HL half off sale). I decide what colors would go best with each furniture "room". Sometimes I steal furniture out of one house to put in another. I'm not sure I'm really "done" with any of them...except the ones I've given away or sold.

I have a dollhosue in the living room, one in the dining room, one in the spare bedroom and one I'm working on down in my workshop.

I have a Cambridge I shall probably give to DGD#2, who was born this morning, so I will be leaving Saturday AM to go meet her.

Oh Congratulations Grandma~~Enjoy your visit with your brand new GD :banana:

the only houses that are done are gone...ones I have given away. I usually make kit furniture for the houses I give. and some decrotive items that GO with the house.

in the livingroom I have the Arthur which I recently filled with swaps and other goodies. the Mckinley is decorated for winter so it is still out and it is fully deocrated although I do tend to "borrow" furniture and things and my Lighthouse in the livingroom also.

in the work/computer room I have a shelf along the top of the wall and my fully furnished Glencroft lives there, with a spooky greenhouse, a haunted house on a hill,and Madame Boney's Travel Trailer. The Granville sits under this shelf on my cedar chest. not done on the inside. and my 1/2 scale victorianna is furnished in the bedroom.

no other house is done/decorated inside or out.

I guess I like to "finish" or furnish each house and as I gather items get them into their homes. I have alot of stuff waiting for my Granville....I keep it in an old metal hutch, with glass front that used to belong to my Great-Grandma. she passed when I was 15. she was great.

The MHM has no permanent home. but it has most of its furnishings. in a box waiting to move in.

I keep telling myself I will not keep the Magnolia :banana: ...it has turned into a sweet heart! :banana:

nutti :banana:

I had asked Tracy today to ask this question because I'm in a kind of quandary. I'm looking downstairs at the shelf where I store all my finished houses. There they sit all pretty and done up neatly in a row with all their furnishings. Everything has to remain the same as it was when I finished it. Now I'm going to be starting my 7th house and I'm wondering when does it stop? When do I stop purchasing new furniture and people and anything else that goes in a house? Do any of you empty the finished houses and use those things to decorate another one? I wish I could do that but I can't, it would almost seem like a sacrilege. I was just interested in knowing what all of you do once your houses are done.

I'm in a kind of quandary. I'm looking downstairs at the shelf where I store all my finished houses. There they sit all pretty and done up neatly in a row with all their furnishings. Everything has to remain the same as it was when I finished it. Now I'm going to be starting my 6th house and I'm wondering when does it stop? When do I stop purchasing new furniture and people and anything else that goes in a house? Do any of you empty the finished houses and use those things to decorate another one? I wish I could do that but I can't, it would almost seem like a sacrilege. I was just interested in knowing what all of you do once your houses are done.

I do know exactly what you mean! I have a plan...actually my DH came up with it. he wants to make a town...we have this shed....but I am afraid of the dark so his idea of me a shop is a no go :banana: but....its a perfect place for a town.

now mind you he said this...so I think to myself a town has more than houses? you need shops? you need a school? oh my! and so I say this to my poor sweet husband..he says...yea? like ok so now Im obligated to build him his town one building at a time. :banana:

I have my Garfield in our gameroom, and I can't really take any furniture from it because I designed the rooms around the furniture. I have a big rubbermaid bin full of furniture, most of which will go into the Harrison when it's done. The rest will go into my Laurel and Primrose when I start building those. As for where the Harrison and Laurel will go once their finished, I have no idea. And I still want more houses. :banana:

I tend to buy my furniture before I build my houses . I still finishing my first house Orchid and I have to go and buy different furniture than I got the first time as what I bought was too big for the house. I decided that when I get it done everything will stay the same as I finish it . That way I can see how my work changes as I get more experince.

I have the Haunted House and the Primrose to build and my husband is building me a big dollhouse. Right now I have a 20 by 20 craft room where I keep all my douse house in and lot of room for display them . But I will be moving into a small place soon and have no idea where I will put them when I done. Maybe I can get my husband to build me an 9 by 12 Shed for my craft room and also to display the houses along with all my room boxes I make . I sure that I will display a least one or two in the house , but I want to make a lot more.

I have a Cambridge I shall probably give to DGD#2, who was born this morning, so I will be leaving Saturday AM to go meet her.

<letting out a shriek and running to hug Holly> She's here! She's here!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!! How is she? How's DIL and DS doing now that she's arrived? How much did she weigh and what's her name?? And you're going to get to meet her this weekend already. Oh, that's just the best-est news Holly. I'm so happy for you!! We'll get to see pictures of this little sweetie soon, won't we?

What was the question? Oh yeah, where do the houses go. Seven of my houses have stayed to live with me. There are five in the living room, one in the den and one in the family room. The Willowcrest I'm building now will also stay with me and it'll go in the living room next door to the Pierce (to be joined by the Beacon Hill when I get it built). The Magnolia is next to be built and it will go in the den.

I buy the furnishings before I actually build the house, so when they're finished, they're complete down to the knickknacks. But I have a weird little rule for myself and every time I place an order, I always pick up something extra for the Pierce. Sh'es my baby, so she gets presents now and then. The last addition for her was a Tiffany dragonfly lamp. I haven't really added much to the other houses tho.

The Willowcrest is the exception to that rule. I have the Reutters kitchen and bathroom for it already, but the rest of the furnishings will be added little by little. I want to fill it with Bespaq so that's going to be a slow acquistion process.

Deb

Now I'm going to be starting my 6th house and I'm wondering when does it stop?

Stop? As in not build any more houses? Furniture? Accessories? Dolls? None of it? Well, maybe when you decide to take up a different hobby & need somewhere else to pack & store your spare parachutes...

Done - one can never be done, its like owning a real home. always upgrades to do!

I have one "completed" house on display and my daughter also has one. She decided to completely remodel her other house and add an extension. I'm building a new one. We do have a special place to display them - away from the sunlight, since this has been a big problem with materials deteriorating.

We tend to buy furniture as we build the houses - and then continue to accessorize.

Lisa R.

Edited by Lisa R.

I also tend to buy furniture and then end up buying more cause what I have sometimes doesn't fit the scheme the house ended up being. My Lily is displayed on a display table in the living room, the Coventry Cottage is on display next to the spare bedroom, the Creekside Cabin is set up in a spare bedroom and the WO is still in the construction zone (formerly the diningroom). All finished homes are decorated with furniture either bought or made with help from GKs sometime the furniture gets moved around and/or out and has to be replace. I hope to eventually have a table, cabinet to display all of them together.

Congratulations Holly on the new DGD#2. I truly hope everything is well with all. You must tell us the details before you leave and take pics to bring back to show us.

I have a weird little rule for myself and every time I place an order, I always pick up something extra for the Pierce. Sh'es my baby, so she gets presents now and then.

Deb

Oh Deb, that's funny because I do the same for the Garf. Been picking up stuff for the BH that will begin construction in a few weeks and I just have to pick a a pressy for the big girl while I'm at it. I'm always thinking of something that the Garfield needs. B)

You must tell us the details before you leave and take pics to bring back to show us.

Her poor dad was so excited he couldn't tell us much beyond she's here & her momma's doing well. They have wi-fi so we're taking the laptop & I can stay in touch if there's time (haha). I'll make him take pictures since he also knows how to work a digital camera.

Oh no Holly, I never would stop building or decorating houses. I just wondered if you all keep the furniture in a particular house and buy new stuff (or make) for the next house. I tend to be like Glenna where each house has it's own furnishings and will never be used in any other house and I can't help but think, does the spending ever end? I've also reached a point where I have pretty much exhausted all the reasonably priced furniture pieces from ebay and I don't relish the idea of having to spend hundreds on costly furniture, especially when there are 20 - 30 more kits to build.

BTW Holly, Congratulations!! Can't wait to see pictures of her.

What about you Tracy? How many houses have you kept?

I have my Dungeon, Borgin & burkes, Storybook Cottgae and my Lighthouse (All Rik Pierce Projects) and I have my Vineyard Cottage and my Mckinley. All of which are in the Garage right now because we are moving :) . Once I move I have a Sunroom, Dinning Room and my workroom that I will be able to display my treasures B)

Are they ever really done?

I buy furniture along the way and go through my extra furniture stash to see what I can use. Then when it is almost done except a few minor things--curtains, details I put them in the room downstairs that is dubbed the dollhouse room since I have both of my "finished" dollhouses on display there. My dh is concerned that when we have children I won't have a place for my dollhouses. I have assured him by that time I will be willing to give up some of the finished ones. We'll see though.