2/5/07 Microsoft Vista

Minis On The Edge

From what I'm reading and hearing, most computers need significant upgrades in order to run Vista. Since my personal operating system's slogan is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I don't think I'll consider it until I'm ready to buy a new computer, which won't be very soon.

The general consenses (sp?) among my geek friends is wait until you get your new computer and it comes pre installed. If you need to get it wait at least six months so it has some history to identify bugs. I have macs so it is not a real concern. (Smug!!!)

I barely use all the "bells and whistles" my current system has. My geek friends tell me that, for what I do, "don't bother". Eventually I'll have to get a new computer, and will deal with it then. Hopefully the bugs will have been worked out of it then, too.

Just got this 'puter last Monday and Gateway is offering me a free update to Vista and this puppy is Vista ready. But from what I've been reading in the pc magazines, most of the features Vista upgrades are not features I'd use. Actually, I've never used all the features on XP, didn't on Me or 2000 or 98 :) so I may get the free software and not install it...that way I can be very trendy and say "I've got it!" :)

I would love to have it even if it were for just PowerPoint and Publisher buuuttttt. My pc is a few years old and is mainly for gaming so I don't want to muck that up.

If anyone does get it be very careful about what you load it on. "Rumor has it the install key is checked via the web by microsoft thru updates or something and if they find 2 machines with the same install key it will lock up so you cant use office/windows." I'm not sure if its completely true but thats what they were trying to do initially because of the codes getting cracked.

Actually, Ray and I were just talking about Vista earlier today. Ray would like to get it installed. Our employer will let us get it through them at a huge discount, so we're considering it. I'm going to talk to our IT people when I go into work on Thursday and see what they recommend.

We just bought this HP computer a few months ago, it has a sticker on it that says "Designed for Windows XP - Windows Vista Capable" ... Ray just came in and showed that to me.

-Susanne

We've been patching and replacing parts on this poor ole computer we've got for almost six years now. We are finally breaking down and buying a new one this weekend (poor hubby can't deal with the slowness of this one anymore!). So, the new one will come with Vista pre-loaded, I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer. If it makes anyone feel any better, many companies have already been using Vista for the past three to five months in a beta test mode, which hopefully worked out some of the kinks.

I'll let everyone know how I feel about it after I've had a chance to use it for a week or two...... :)

Good luck,

Sandy

we just bought this computer in Nov.

it is not likely we will get another anytime soon.

so I guess we will wait till we buy a new computer/laptop that it already comes installed on.

nutti :)

My new computer is Vista ready and I could get a discount on it, but I'd rather wait about a year and let them get some bugs worked out. Partly because I've not read much about it and really don't know what all it offers, but probably would not use most of it anyway.

well, i never heard of it until now, but then, i don't do much but work, sit on babies and faff with dollhouses. i don't even have a dvd player or an ipod or a camera phone.

:) if my employer can afford it for the office computers, it'd probably be useful for work.

but for me? nah. unless it is free.

so long as my pc keeps on working, that will suffice, and i can listen to the victrola while i get a cold tonic from the icebox.

From what I'm reading and hearing, most computers need significant upgrades in order to run Vista. Since my personal operating system's slogan is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I don't think I'll consider it until I'm ready to buy a new computer, which won't be very soon.

I am with you on that :)

I don't know anything about it really. I will probably buy a new computer sometime this year...mine is 5 years old and is irritating at times, it gets locked up if i've been online to long, then i have to restart....so if i do get a new computer and it comes with this new program great....i think i'll wait until the fall to get a new computer, if i decide to get one.

I will wait until a Lil green man with a shalalee comes with his pot of gold and then I will buy a new puter with it already in it.

From what I have read, You have to upgrade your graphics card but I cant remember the other things. It seems smarter to just get a whole new system.