September DIY

CatColorado

I wanted to post the new DIY today but the batteries in my camera died :) . Didn't I have that problem last time? ;) I'll definitely have it up tomorrow after I buy more batteries. :D

The project is Roman-type blinds made from a bamboo shelf liner. I'll also include tips on personalizing the blinds to coordinate with your room. It's fun. It's quick. And best of all, it's easy. They look good too. :D

I'm adding the diy to this post to keep it easy to find :) For this project, you'll need a bamboo shelf liner, tin snips or similar heavy scissors, glue, masking tape, pencil, and a ruler. I found my liner at Walmart for under $5. You can get four shades out of one shelf liner. This picture shows what the liner looks like post-22-1126385790_thumb.jpg

Measure the length of the area on your window that you want to cover. The black threading on the shelf liner becomes the sashes for the blinds. Use your ruler and pencil to draw a cut line so your sashes will be equidistant from both sides. The pictures make more sense than I do.post-22-1126373669_thumb.jpg

Before you cut, use a piece of masking tape mark the bottom of your shade. This also helps to keep the shade from falling apart when you start cutting.post-22-1126373834_thumb.jpg

Add glue to the black binding threads at the bottom of the shade. This is to keep the thread from unraveling from the bamboo after you cut. Let the glue dry, I used my tin snips to weigh down the threads to make sure they adhered to the bamboo.post-22-1126373944_thumb.jpg

Once everything is dry, cut the shade loose. Remove the tape and you are done. Your shade is ready to hang!

Note* In the pictures, I show the shade already cut out before the gluing and taping. This was just to make it easier for you to see what I was doing. If you cut before gluing or taping, you will have an aggravating time re-weaving the cut ends back together. It is doable but I don't recommend it. The most important part is to make sure those threads are glued down tight!

Edited by CatColorado

Hi everyone! I posted the diy in my first post at the top of this thread. Some tips for customizing include gluing ribbon in the color or pattern of your choice over the black thread, you could spray paint the blinds too. With some clever use of jump rings, you could make working blinds, although you would need to add a hook or small nail at the base of your window to attach the pull cord (to keep the shade in a raised position).

Some ideas for using the leftover bits, would include a door mat, and a basket.

I love the look of it. I wonder if I could find simular material somewhere. I am very allergic to bamboo. Simply touching it causes a rash. I think I have an old oriental calendar that is made of small pieces of paper somewhere. Maybe I could use the tutorial on that material.

Melissa

While in Wally World today getting the rest of Glencroft pictures processed to finish the blog (so far) I went looking for the bamboo placemats. What they had didn't look like bamboo, but some sort of very delicate grass. Definitely not what you were using, Cat. I'm a woman on a quest!

I love the look of it. I wonder if I could find simular material somewhere. I am very allergic to bamboo. Simply touching it causes a rash. I think I have an old oriental calendar that is made of small pieces of paper somewhere. Maybe I could use the tutorial on that material.

Melissa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While in Wally World today getting the rest of Glencroft pictures processed to finish the blog (so far) I went looking for the bamboo placemats.  What they had didn't look like bamboo, but some sort of very delicate grass.  Definitely not what you were using, Cat.  I'm a woman on a quest!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've done a bit of research and for those of you who either do not have a Walmart (or that particular Walmart doesn't stock it), Lowe's carries the same item. It is a little more expensive ($5.95). Here are the item numbers for anyone who is interested:

Duck® Bamboo Liner

Item # 124814

Model # 124814

On a related note, Duck® puts out some other liners that could have miniature applications. They make both a brushed metal adhesive liner and one of cork.

and one of cork.

I saw those cork liners & my immediate thought was: FLOORS! One house I visited in had cork tile in the den, very pretty, a bear to clean!

I also think of the cork bulletin boards.

Three days later I got to one of the huge stupid Wally worlds in Tallahassee and they had bamboo shelf liners. The bamboo slivers were 'way too big for blinds, more like scale fishing poles, and the liners came in fluorescent lime green and radioactive red. They had one of the grass-type placemats, but the pieces are too far apart to work for anything in scale. I'm still looking.

• 3 years later...

I didn't realize we were having a DIY monthly project....How wonderful.....BTW, I got my bamboo (?) placemat at Dollar Tree for guess how much...yep, you're right...$1......unfortunately the only colors they had were orange or blue but I think that they can be spray painted another color....Thanks, Cat....can't wait until next month....

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

Nope, Deana....I was just so thrilled to see it and to think that there would be a monthly DIY on a level that I could do, I didn't even notice that it said September much less 2005...since I lost my job in February, one day just rolls into another just like one month into another...LOL.....Gayle was kind enough to PM me that it was September '05.....I am extremely disappointed.....why don't they put a monthly DIY on a simple level like this one in the monthly letter....It doesn't take much to excite me.....

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

why don't they put a monthly DIY on a simple level like this one in the monthly letter....It doesn't take much to excite me.....

I get excited about DIY projects too and so do all of our Gazette readers. You're in good company Elicia! That's why we include tutorials in every issue of the Gazette with a variety of projects at different skill levels so no one is left out. The Gazette archives are located here: http://www.dollhouse-kits.com/dollhouse-newsletter/ where you can browse thru them and find all kinds of fun things to do.

Deb