Quilting - the reason I don't spend enought time on minis

Sharon-UK

Despite now working part-time, there never seems to be enough hours in the week to get to all the hobby projects stored away in closets or just existing in your mind. I should spend a lot more time finishing my poor dollshouses, but I can't resist my other main hobby which is making patchwork quilts. Here is a pic (I hope I can get it inserted) of a quilt I made a few years ago from a pattern in Quilters Newsletter Magazine - it is all little houses and I had a lot of fun inserting novelty prints into the windows and using unusual fabrics for the houses.

Best wishes,

Sharon

post-1721-1170775570_thumb.jpg

It is beautiful. I am also a quilter. I haven't worked on a quilt in awhile though. I did promise dh I would make a new quilt for our bed one of these days.

Lately I've been looking at making mini quilts so I can combine the two. I just bought a book on making dollhouse quilts using paperpiecing techniques. It is interesting. I'm going to try to make a few. I'll post them once I get done.

I've tried a few mini quilts, but found that I'm not accurate enough and I wasn't happy with how out-of-scale the end product looks. The tiniest discrepancy shows up hugely in a 1/12th scale, for example a block that is 1/16th inch out of square, and the bulk of the seam allowances makes it look really lumpy even if you don't add any further layers to turn it into a true quilt. I know you can make them out of Liberty Lawn and trim all your seam allowances to 1/8th inch, but it isn't really me.

I have made a few mini quilts out of one-inch square log cabin blocks, using a foundation stamp I bought years ago. Those are fun and you can use the squares for cushions as well.

Happy quilting,

Sharon

That is a pretty quilt. It has been years since I've tried, but I can remember my Mother's quilting frames hanging from the ceiling and she and her friends working together on them.

What a beautiful quilt, Sharon, I love the colors and the details! and you are absolutely right, there never is enough time to devote to all the hobbies we love, particularly the minis!

Glad to hear of so many quilters. I, also, am a quilter.

I mostly make quilts for children at the St. Jude affiliate in our city. (Danny Thomas is the hospital's founder.) My 13 yr old granddaughter is a cancer survivor.

My mother lives in a nursing home, and the ladies there embroider quilt blocks. I make the blocks into quilt tops and volunteers help hand quilt. The sale money is used for outings for residents.

I love HOUSES, and I have house quilts to show----someday when I learn to post pictures.

Good Job, Sharon!

Nancy

Your quilt is beautiful!!!!

I live in a community that is very Mennonite/Mormon. Home crafts, especially quilting are huge here. I have seen some incredibly intricate beautifully crafted quilts.

I myself, have only made one, for my daughter just before she was born.

Wow, lots of quilters! I love the autumn tabletopper, that is really pretty, thanks for sharing. I always seem to get bogged down in huge queen-sized quilts, I should make more small projects like tabletoppers.

When I contribute room boxes or vignettes to our mini club group displays, they always know which is mine because I always slip a quilt into the scene somehow. Even my "Mrs. Santa's Bedroom" display for our current group project "who has been sleeping in my bed?" has a sewing machine with a quilt under the needle. Our display will be at Kempton Park Dollshouse Show in a few weeks here in the UK, and lots of members have made great scenes. The brief was to create a bedroom with enough clues lying around that viewers can guess who the occupant must be (occupants not allowed in the scene) and members have crafted everything from Emma Hamilton's bedroom to the Princess and the Pea.

Best wishes,

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...
Despite now working part-time, there never seems to be enough hours in the week to get to all the hobby projects stored away in closets or just existing in your mind. I should spend a lot more time finishing my poor dollshouses, but I can't resist my other main hobby which is making patchwork quilts. Here is a pic (I hope I can get it inserted) of a quilt I made a few years ago from a pattern in Quilters Newsletter Magazine - it is all little houses and I had a lot of fun inserting novelty prints into the windows and using unusual fabrics for the houses.

Best wishes,

Sharon

What a neat quilt!

That's the reason I don't spend as much time making mini things as I need to. There's always a quilt project with a rapidly approching deadline to get done.

Kathy

Here's the newest one. It's for my hubby's niece.

post-719-1172943996_thumb.jpg