2/9/07 Instant Messaging

Minis On The Edge

Instant Messaging  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you spend each day sending Instant Messages?

• 15 Min. or less
    • about 1 hour
    • 2 hours
    • What is Instant Messageing?
    • I don't use it at all

Oh, my ... if I started instant messaging people, I'd NEVER get away from this machine. I've used the PM feature on the forum to send messages, but probably less than twice a week, if that.

I don't even open MSN Messenger or ICQ any more ... so far as I'm concerned, it's a faded fad.

I do use MSN instant messege system for keeping in touch with my friends and my family

in other parts of the country.

but I dont use it often

I maily use it to tell my mom who lives across town to get off the computer so I can call her. :congrats:

nutti :giggle:

I had to say 15 minutes or less. I have all the programs for instant messaging but very rarely ever use them. They do open up when I check my email accounts but I'm always invisible and if I see my sister on (who lives on the east coast) then I will message to say hi. We usually talk every Sunday on the phone which I much prefer.

Hmm, it varies a lot really. I have friends in the US that I do keep in touch with via the messenger and when we get chatting we can spend an hour or so just "talking" but then again there are days that I don't use it at all. Most of the times I do open it up as invisible as I have had tooooo much bad invites over the years.

So I think I will pick the 15 mini or less as that is an average for a week....

Hugs

I used to IM a lot, and I used "trillian", which is a program that combines all the chat programs into one, so that I only had to log in once, instead of once for yahoo, once for aim, etc etc. I also used to do a lot of online gaming, but I just got bored with both, really. For awhile, I wasn't even using my computer except to check my email once a day. I just have too much other stuff to do to be online all the time *shrug* Not that there is anything wrong with it, of course, just not my gig anymore.

i turn mine on usually when i get home from work. so a few hours tell i go to bed.. but im usually not on it. just leave it on :banana: i talk to both friends and family on them ;)

I find it depends on what is going on in my life and what mood I'm in. My answer would have been very different a few years ago. When I was dating, I was im all the time talking to potential dates (I did the on-line dating service thing). Now I barely remember to sign on. Plus I upgraded and it hasn't worked right so it is a pain now.

I don't use IM at all, but I don't like to talk on the phone either. I have the attention span of a hyperactive hummingbird for the most part and I don't stay in one place for very long. (unless I'm building and then I can sit in my chair in the studio for hours on end and never even notice the time passing) But when I'm at the computer, I'm here for a few minutes and then off to do something else, then back again for a few more minutes. I much prefer email because it lets me reply when I'm passing thru the room instead of tying me to the the computer. Kathy and I exchange around 20-30 emails every day just chatting back and forth, but that's spread out over the whole day and we both do other stuff in between.

Deb

Last year I used instant messaging alot - maybe over 2 hours a day. That was when I was able to stay logged in to the compter we have in our kitchen. I set up alarms and when any of my daughters, sisters or parents came online - I chatted. BUT now dh is using that computer to move all of our music, DVD's and videos to the file server and every time my back is turned he has logged me out - sigh - so I don't use it nearly as much. I guess I should set up the laptop in the kitchen too.

Lisa R.

How long do you spend each day sending Instant Messages? Are you IM'ing family or friends the most?

How about "I can't vote because my answer isn't listed"? I use IM to chat with a bunch of people on a cooking group I belong to 3 times a week. We usually chat for a couple of hours each time. Other than that I rarely use chat. It ties me to the computer and I can't do 6 other things at the same time.

Kathy

I voted for 15 minutes or less - which is kinda averaging out my total usage. Some days, I don't use it at all, but other days I will sit and chat with somebody while sitting here working on minis or something.

• 3 weeks later...