Stopped in to say Hello, and to share a pic of my new Furr Kid!

Brenb

Hello everyone, I haven't been in much lately, I do come in to try to get motivated, but I haven't touched Ruby or Westville in over a month now. I need kicked in the butt, geez. I do have something exciting to share. DH gave me a new Furr Kid for Valentines day. Now I have 3 Pugs! Zoey and Gracie are pretty much afraid of him. I've named him King Zachary. In about a year we hope to have Pug babies. I'm not sure if I'd be able to sell them though. I get too attached. lol

I hope you all have a great Valentines Day! Take Care!

zachsmall.jpg

Aww how cute! I adore dogs and pugs are so precious! you can see my two furbabies in my avatar.

Regarding breeding, if you are not certain of the health issues of both parents, i wouldn't embark on it. With purebreeds even more than a mix if you breed them without health testing the sire and the dam it can lead to more heartbreak than sorrow if they are carrying genes for disorders that plague the pug. And pugs do have a few genetic defects that they can carry.

Sorry to sound like I am preaching, I just know firsthand as I bought one of my dachshunds from a breeder who did not health test and thousands of dollars later after two surgeries she is still with me.

Open heart surgery on an eight week old puppy is no day in the park. And it all could have been avoided if the breeders knew what they were doing and health tested the parents and realized they BOTH carried the defective gene.

Ginger, seeing your avatar brings back so many wonderful memories of my last dog. Ludwig was my beloved daschund. He was a standard, black and tan and had to be put down 3 years ago after 16 years of being my faithful follower. I miss him terribly. I had always had daschunds and I adore them but this time we decided on a larger dog and purchased an Australian Shepherd. What a difference!!

I'm a sucker for dogs, I must admit.

King Zachary is just adorable.

AKKKK!!! a DOG!!!!...oh wait..I'm supposed to be supportive. I have to move my four cats away from the screen.

There.

Awww...he's a cute little pup! I'd be cautious about breeding them, though. As someone already indicated, there are a lot of risks to that, and as you've noted, I'd be hard pressed to sell off the babies if I were in the breeding business!

:doh:

After the loss of 2 dogs of my own from 'backyard breeders' problems (breeders did not tell me parents were brother and sister) and my sil putting a 6 month old weimer down due to a hereditary liver problem - I say be careful breeding. I have a couple thousand invested in my dog that I plan to breed once and will probably keep some of the pups. I showed my girls for a while to make sure they met the conformation standards and then took the one I want to breed for hip and eye certification. And I still met with a world of flak from other breeders about breeding my dog without having a champion title on her. Well, anyway, it's a long story and I ended a few friendships I had with some breeders.

Oh, there is no backyard breeders here, all my Pugs have come from great breeders due to having a great vet, they are health checked and the only thing they have to take is a good vitamin for healthy skin and shinny coat they take in the winter (we heat with a wood burner so we have very dry heat). I surely won't be a backyard breeder either. If we have babies, that will be great if not, it's not meant to be. My furr kids live in our home, and are well cared for and trained right. My human kids consider the furr kids their brother's and sister's and had a party for the new little guy King Zachary welcoming him home, it was so cute.

I'm sorry that a few of you have had hard times with your pets. Yes it is devastating and a furr kid is ill and you feel helpless. My oldest Pug Zoey broke her leg when she was 12 weeks old, I think she was trying to fly off the back of the couch, lol, well she had to have surgery and a pin put in her tiny leg, and this happened just a week after my husband came home from healing in a hospital ( for 10 months) after being hit by a drunk driver. I was at the point that I couldn't take any more. But, hubby healed, Zoey healed and we are one happy family.

Well, it sounds to me like you are going to be a responsible breeder. So many people would have had a puppy put down instead of spending the money to get her fixed up and then just go get another one.

On another topic, I recently took my dogs in for shots and we were talking about puppy care and she said I would be amazed at how many people loose their puppies to distemper. That they go out and buy some expensive puppy and then don't have any money for shots and skip them. So they loose their designer puppy that they had to have for lack of an extra $100.