2/12/07 Dollar Bill

Minis On The Edge

Dollar Bill  

23 members have voted

1. 1. would You Rather Have A $1 Coin Or $1 Bill

• $1 Coin
    • $1 Bill

Which do you prefer & why?
I prefer the coins, provided the Mint this time can bring themselves to issue one that's not the same size as a quarter or half-dollar, like the last two fiascos. In Canada we quickly got used to using their currency and there are no $1 or $2 paper bills. Aside from the fact that it's more convenient for the user coins certainly "wear" longer than paper. Because we're all used to the $1 bills I'm in a minority, but that's jmho.

As a Canuck I have come to love my beloved Loonie's and Toonie's. They have been made in good sizes that it is easy to differentiate them and it certainly does not make the wallet thick with paper.

Another good thing...when you are saving change for a special item..the change adds up VERY quickly which makes mini buying much better.....'But honey is was just some change I had lying around :ohyeah: '

Seriously we found while in the states all those $1 bills took up so much space and was weird handing so many over to pay for an item

That is a hard question. Before I came here (1989) I was very used to a one pound (gbp) coin. So a dollar bill that was worth less seemed odd. Now I have been here so long I much prefer the bill and when I go back to the UK the coins seem so worthless, just change, - even though they are worth more.

Lisa R.

I've hated our system here with the Loonie and Toonie. They are extremely heavy and if you have ten or so in your purse, it really weighs it down. The only thing I will say, they are great for saving or collecting. Before you know it, you have a hundred dollars and you didn't even expect it.

I'd much prefer paper money but then all of our bills are different colors. I don't think I would like all my bills to look the same.

all of our bills are different colors
That was the other major thing I really liked about using Canadian currency, you can tell instantly if you have enough money to pay for something. When we toured the Bureau of Engraving a couple of years ago we watched them printing $10s and they're adding "some" color; but they'll be doing it to all the new bills, regardless of denomination, so back to the "same ol'".

The problem with doing away with the penny is prices, taxes & change. Some people may not mind having all their expenses rounded up to the nearest nickel, but those of us who grew up when a penny actually bought things find that they still add up :ohyeah:

I too choose the paper form since it's lighter in weight and takes up less space than coins do...but I am a little biased since the last fiasco with the dollar coin made it rather difficult to distinguish the dollar from a quarter....

I choose paper too. Whenever we get a dollar coin, it goes into the jar. They're too heavy to carry very many around with you. We don't see too many dollar coins, so when I do, and it's so close to the quarter in size, I've had to put it away or spend it like a quarter.

I voted for the $1 bill. I wasted more than my share of the $1 coins because they looked so similar to quarters.

Now, if the US Mint were to make new $1 coins in a larger coin that made it instantly recognizable - then I'd be on board for the coin.

Being Canadian I love our loonies and toonies. I keep change in a drawer and it adds up real fast with the dollar and 2-dollar coins. We get paid every 2nd Tuesday, and I always slip a $20 bill into our change machine at work so I've got $20 worth of loonies/toonies. I also use this change for paying customs duty on all of my mini parcels. :doh:

-Susanne

i have a happy fantasy that a $1 bill is worth a dollar, even now. i like the paper.

i think we are slow learners here in the US. we haven't cottoned to the metric system and we may never get there. the Kennedy half-dollar never caught on. the Eisenhower dollar was cool, the Susan B. was great ...

aside from that, i have a cynical suspicion that if the US Mint really wanted those earlier $1 coins to succeed, they'd have done a much better job of designing them. for pete's sake, the Franklin Mint does better marketing.

if there is another $1 coin with an image of another woman and all the vending machines aren't re-tooled to take $1 coins ....

I dislike carrying change. So I'll vote for the paper. I say eliminate the penny.

The one bad thing about eliminating the penny, is that when they raise gas prices, and you know the will, it would be by a nickle. I am not sure I would like to see that big of a jump all at once. I voted for paper. I work with money every day and I detest getting those $1 coins. They are a pain...LOL