Tried to adopt a dog, getting foster instead

prariegurl

We recently contacted Dachshund Rescue of North America about adopting Artie. If you have the time, check him out on www.DRNA.org Alas, we weren't quick enough. Artie is getting ready to go to a new home in NJ. We asked the foster mom to keep us in mind if the adoption falls through.

Then Sunday we went to the dachshund meetup, and one of the DRNA reps there asked us to foster her rescue Rachel. Rachel is 13 years old. Her owner was ill and recently died. From her overall health it appears that Rachel had generally received good care, but at the end her owner had a hard time caring for her. She was badly matted, and to remove the mats they had to cut the hair down to the skin. She needs a dental, so the rep will keep her until the dental on the 21st. We will likely pick her up the 24th or 25th.

I attached a photo of Rachel. She is in a coat because it was cold and she has been scalped

post-306-1171397777_thumb.jpg

post-306-1171397930_thumb.jpg

How exciting for you and Rachel, and what a wonderful thing to do! One of our "babies" is a Dorkie (Dachshund/Yorkie). (She is also my favorite - but shhhh, don't tell!) Best of luck to you and Rachel. I'm sure she will feel so much better after the dental and with her new haircut. Bet you won't be able to let her go!

Traci

I don't see a pic??? Is it attached in the message? Maybe it is just my pC?

Anywho, how WONDEERFUL of you to take her on!! I was a volunteer for DRNA for a few years a few years back until work started taking way too much of my free time. Great org!!! These older doxies have such a hard time finding homes and they are such sweet little canines! I am so glad you are fostering her!

Doxies definitely like to be warm, my little one practicially jumps into her coat if we go somewhere! LOL

Rachel has a sweet face. I hope you get to keep her. I'd never make it as a foster parent to either the human or furry kids if I had to give them up to someone else.

I fostered a number of chihuahuas who eventually went to forever homes. I loved them because I knew I was helping them to be at their best so as to be successful in their new surroundings, and didn't really miss them when they were gone. Of course, getting Christmas cards from a few of them every year does warm the cockles of my heart. :doh:

Two of them are still with me. JoJo and I have formed a bond of sorts, but he will not relate to anyone else; and Annie is so old and decrepit that I don't expect she'll last the winter. Of course I've thought that for the past 4 or 5 winters, but ... At any rate, I'm glad to be able to give her a comfortable home in her dotage. I hope someone will do the same for me!

Rachel looks like a wonderful little girl, already loved. :)

How generous of you to foster an older dog. I always feel bad for them as they are always the first to go when things get crowded (if you know what I mean) Everyone wants a puppy or kitten. When my grandfather had to go to a retirement home, I jumped at the chance to take his 14 year old poodle, no one else in the family wanted anything to do with him. Alas, I only had him 6 months, but he was very spoiled while he lived with me. Keep us posted.

Oh, how wonderful of you to foster Rachel. She looks like a very sweet little thing. I was looking into adopting an older dachsund. . . that's before I fell in love with 'Chloei' on the internet and had to bring her home!

Good luck to all of you!!

How great that you are going to foster. I have been involved with a boxer rescue group for years and we really have a hard time finding homes or fosters for the older dogs because they usually wind up being long term. And everyone wants the younger dogs. So many of these babies don't understand why they are left behind. One I picked up kept looking out the car window every time a car similar to his owners passed us. I won't tell you the times I have been in tears after such transports. I have transported several dachshunds for one of the groups and they were sweet lovable little guys or gals.

That's great, what you're doing. I think the world of doggie foster homes and rescue organizations. A wonderful lady from Scottie rescue took care of my little imp when I was sick for way too long. Don't know what I would have done without her.

Lucky little dog to be headed your way.

what a nice valentine's day present, to know you'll have Rachel! :doh:

congratulations on having the opportunity to share in her life. that's really wonderful.

She has a sweet face (looks like the lady needs some Nice @ Easy on her snout..LOL, I say that to Tyson all the time.)

You are a great person for doing that. My heart is too big to foster. I would want to keep them all and when i had to give them back, my heart would break.

She is a lucky girl!

How wonderful of you to be willing to foster. Can it turn into an adoption? Rachel is very cute. My grandparents adopted an older dachshund years and years ago who had been treated poorly by her first owner but she was the perfect dog for them. She loved to sit with my grandmother and watch tv, which was good since my grandmother was starting to get sick then and didn't do too much more than that.

Good luck with Rachel!! I know she is a lucky dog to be coming to your house.

Thank you all for your support and encouragement. Rachel seems very sweet, but a little lost since her person died, which is understandable. We met her Sunday, and she got along great with my two. In fact they all get a little kissy-faced with each other. That could change once she moves in and Skeeter has to share her daddy with Rachel. There won't be any fights, but Skeeter could get a bit aloof.

I am sure that I could adopt her this minute if that's what I want, but I think I just want to foster this one. It might seem a bit selfish to come out and say it, but I do not want to adopt a 13 year old at this time. Our 14 year old Leopold died a few months ago after a long battle with cancer. His 14 year old brother Archie died a year before that. The two I have now are seniors. Having had two difficult goodbyes recently, and perhaps having some more goodbyes within the next couple of years, I just am not ready for another senior. We adopted Archie at 12, it was one of the best things I ever did and I will likely adopt a senior again some day, but for now I am tired of saying goodbye and want my next dog to be around for a good many years.

So the plan is to give Rachel lots of love and affection until she finds a permanent home.

Jeri

Jeri,

My heart just breaks at the thought of Rachel feeling lost. But, happy to think of all the love she'll get from your home!

I can totally understand you not wanting to adopt another senior right now. Just sending them to a new forever home must be hard enough.

We so appreciate foster homes. All but one of our babies were "rescues". (Blossom came from the friend of a friend who couldn't keep her.) Even Sushi, who we adopted from the SPCA, had been going home with an employee there every night. The fosters made the transition to our home easier, and were able to help us know that we were a good fit for each pet. We keep in touch with most of them, sending pictures and updates.

A BIG thanks for what you do - and hugs to Rachel, and your other pups. Hope they are all enjoying each other!

Traci