9/14/05 Some One Sneeze??

Minis On The Edge

In ancient times people believed the soul could leave the body pretty much at will (probably because of the high mortality & short life expectancy), especially when someone slept or sneezed; "God bless you" was literally blessing the person in case his soul didn't come back. (I read this so long ago I don't even remember where; Frazier's The Golden Bough , maybe?) This may also be where bedtime prayers originated.

In a similar vein, "spirit" comes from the same Latin root word as "breathe" (respire).

That's pretty much what I know about it too. When a person sneezed it literally blew the soul out of the body (via the mouth) and so a blessing was bestowed on that person to bring back the soul.

Great Answers and they are all correct!!

For Centuries Man believed there life essence or Soul resided in the head. When a person sneezed, they thought the soul was trying to escape so they said "God Bless you" so that it woud return to the person before an evil spirit (or demon) entered there body. :D