Beacon Hill

bmatson

So I finally made progress with my stairs (first floor). But I had a major problem with the very first riser and the very first tread. First of all, the first riser is specifically mentioned for you to set it aside since it is supposedly narrower than the other risers and treads. I found this to not be true so I had to sand the bottom of that riser about 1/4". Then, when I went to put the very first stair tread itself on top of the first riser, it was not nearly wide enough. I'm not sure how to explain it to make sense, but the tread was just wide enough to cover the landing where it was supposed to go. But it was NOT wide enough to cover the landing AND the (first) riser underneath it. So I put the tread all the way forward, flush and lined up with the riser, so now there is a good 1/4" hole on the back part of my very first stair. This bewilders me because I thought all these pieces are the correct size to prevent things like this from happening. Or is it something I did? If it is, I don't know what!! Has anyone else had this problem? And/or is there a way I can fix it? If worse comes to worse, I will just fill the gap will wood fill and paint over it. I don't know how else to fix it.

--Betty

So I finally made progress with my stairs (first floor). But I had a major problem with the very first riser and the very first tread. First of all, the first riser is specifically mentioned for you to set it aside since it is supposedly narrower than the other risers and treads. I found this to not be true so I had to sand the bottom of that riser about 1/4". Then, when I went to put the very first stair tread itself on top of the first riser, it was not nearly wide enough. I'm not sure how to explain it to make sense, but the tread was just wide enough to cover the landing where it was supposed to go. But it was NOT wide enough to cover the landing AND the (first) riser underneath it. So I put the tread all the way forward, flush and lined up with the riser, so now there is a good 1/4" hole on the back part of my very first stair. This bewilders me because I thought all these pieces are the correct size to prevent things like this from happening. Or is it something I did? If it is, I don't know what!! Has anyone else had this problem? And/or is there a way I can fix it? If worse comes to worse, I will just fill the gap will wood fill and paint over it. I don't know how else to fix it.

--Betty

So even if you put the other riser in place, the one on the second stair, you still have that 1/4" gap? Are you CERTAIN that piece you are using as the tread is the correct piece? is it the same exact width as all your other stair pieces?

So even if you put the other riser in place, the one on the second stair, you still have that 1/4" gap? Are you CERTAIN that piece you are using as the tread is the correct piece? is it the same exact width as all your other stair pieces?

Ginger--

Yes, I am absolutely positive!! Since I already knew the first riser was going to need to be sanded down, since it was NOT narrower like it was supposed to be, I went ahead and did the rest of the risers and stairs, all except for the very first riser and stair. After that was done, I sanded the first riser and glued it. When I went to put the very last piece of the stair on top of that, I noticed it was too narrow. And since I, like you, thought I was goofed up somehow, before I glued the last piece in, I measured it with all the other pieces and I swear they are all the same size. Even the first riser! So I don't know. Maybe I AM cracking up. :wub: But I really truly think it might be the pieces that are kooky, and not me?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ;)

--Betty

Betty,

don't worry, I don't think it's you...the kids are home today, so I dont' think I can concentrate well enough to get what you're saying about the first riser....but I'm sure it's not you....you could always measure and cut a new piece from the sheet (scrap). All I can tell you is that my first floor staircase did not have the overlap (treads over risers) it was supposed to, and my second floor seemed like the overlap was more than 1/8th inch. Dont worry though, you can't even see most of the first floor stairs once you finish it with the trim pieces ect.

sorry Im not much help, I can only tell you I have some issues with the stairs too and all turned out ok :)

Betty,

All I can tell you is that my first floor staircase did not have the overlap (treads over risers) it was supposed to, and my second floor seemed like the overlap was more than 1/8th inch. Dont worry though, you can't even see most of the first floor stairs once you finish it with the trim pieces ect.

sorry Im not much help, I can only tell you I have some issues with the stairs too and all turned out ok :D

Cathy--

My stairs don't over lap either! Glad to know I at least didn't mess that one up too much!! And I know what you're saying that you can't see much of the stairs cause of the trim anyway, but this is the very bottom stair, and it is quite a big gap, so it is quite noticeable. So I can either cut a scrap piece as you suggested, or I was just gonna put some wood filler in the gap and repaint and sand that one stair. In fact, I will probably HAVE to do the latter since the stair is already glued. Sigh. Oh well. I won't be able to do anything for a couple of days, anyway. Cause my husband and I are leaving town today until Thursday. So it will just have to wait.

Oh, and for the most exciting news (well, to me anyway) is that I now have my house completely undone and taken apart. I have the whole underside of the foundation reglued and waiting to dry. I just have a few mock-ups that I need to do for the walls and carpet and then I am ready to start building again (with wood glue, of course). :)

Speaking of gluing, I have what might appear to be a dumb question about that, but since I am a beginner.....there are no dumb questions!! When I glue the walls and floors back together, how do I glue the joints so there is not a lump of glue on the edges? I'm thinking that that "lump" will interfere with the edges of wallpapering and carpet? And I am just wondering how other people glue, or if they just smooth the glue out? Once again, don't think less of me for such a beginnerish question ;)

Thanks for all your input!!

--Betty

LOL don't be silly about thinking anyone would think less of you for your questions! MY GOSH!!! NOT asking quesitons is where problems arise!

Anyhoo, take a wet papertowel and just wipe off all access that gets onto your walls and floors. Another plus wtih tacky or wood glue - they both clean up very easy before dry... when you put it together and insert tabs and slots, just wipe off with a damp cloth everything that might seep out. Then tape it together for clamping and voila...let it dry!

Two things I do gluing edges: I use a toothpick to spread the glue smooth and I have a Stanley heavy-duty stapler to reinforce the edges. (whatever exterior finish I use will cover them).

Betty, stair runner carpet will do a good job of hiding imperfections in the stairs.

Two things I do gluing edges: I use a toothpick to spread the glue smooth and I have a Stanley heavy-duty stapler to reinforce the edges. (whatever exterior finish I use will cover them).

Betty, stair runner carpet will do a good job of hiding imperfections in the stairs.

Holly--what a great idea for the stairs! I jsut might do that. Although I am leaving ALL decorating stuff until very last, after I put the house together and and electrify it! Thanks also for the gluing tip.

Cathy--Thank you as well for hte gluing tip!

Hey Betty,

One thing I forgot....because I had trouble with this...if you want to put a stair runner on your first floor stairs, the long set, do it before you put it in the house or you wont' be able to reach it once the "trim pieces" are in....not that you'll be able to see much of the runner, but I was upset that I couldn't put one in--kind of a perfectionist...and it was sad for me to know it's not there....lol

have a safe trip:)

Okay so now that I am ready to put a carpet runner in place, does it matter what kind of fabric or ribbon I use? I was just thinking of a sateen ribbon type thing in a cream color. I think that would look great, but I dont know what the rest of you use.

--Betty

Betty,

I've seen some really pretty runners, especially on www.miniatures.com, but I was in Michael's and found the burgundy ribbon I used...but I also found some at Joann Fabric--kind of a woven edging more than a ribbon--I used this one on the first floor steps near the front door (I have apicture in my album). When I did the 2nd floor stairs, I realized some of the glue showed through, so I had more of the 2nd ribbon left over, so I glued it on too...I like it how it turned out...

Betty, lay it on the stairs and use your fingers to place it on the stepa and if you like it, GO! I used a dainty semi-sheer print ribbon in my Haunted House that looked like expen$sive Victorian carpet from the open door. I used RED grosgrain in the pub. You use what you like!