144th scale

Roni

For those who have taken the plunge into these tiny kits, do you have any building tips? Also can anyone tell me where I can find the correct scale wallpaper and furnishings?

Thanks

SDK Miniatures (has a website and also sells on ebay) carries kits for 1:144 wood furniture.

http://sdk.miniature.net/

This site has some wonderful 1:144 scale furniture diy tutorials:

http://hem.bredband.net/annbet/Minis/index.htm

HBS Miniatures and Cape Cod Miniatures (Ebay) carry metal cast furniture (painted). For wallpaper, I'll get the link and post it.

Nertha Gaal is an artisan that works in 1:144 and published some wallpaper printies in that scale in American Miniature Magazine about mid-2006. I used those printies to wallpaper my 1:144 Beacon Hill last year.

-Susanne

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. Once I finish my Tennyson by ArtPly and my Heart Arbor, I'm going to take the plunge. I'm a llittle nervous about working on something so small. But form what I've seen here I'm a little excited as well. I will post pictures of my progress. Thanks again.

You will do judt fine in that scale. The very first dollhouse I ever built was 144 scale. I told Darrell I thought working on the beacon hill with him was more then I could handle and I should start out with something small. I even carved a little toilet and tub and was insane enough to make a little leather couch and chair. Thank heaven for leather crazy glue to glue those tiny pieces of leather together. I have been thinking of making a 144 scale house again.

Melissa

Building on the 1/144 inch scale seems intimidating at first but you would be surprised how easy it is once you begin. I was scared of my first tiny house but its very simple. If you have built a one inch scale house, you can build these little houses in no time. Good luck and I cant wait to see the pics!

• 1 month later...
Building on the 1/144 inch scale seems intimidating at first but you would be surprised how easy it is once you begin. I was scared of my first tiny house but its very simple. If you have built a one inch scale house, you can build these little houses in no time. Good luck and I cant wait to see the pics!

I got the Micro Beacon Hill and Garfield for my gift from the arbor contest. Thanks Greenleaf! :( The parts are so tiny that I know I need to find a way to make sure I don't drop any. I dropped a piece of laser cut trim from an apex I was painting and I swear the carpet ate it. :blink: I needed the encouragement. Thanks.

I have a couple of kits now, the Queen Anne and the Garfield. I'm going to get a cheaper kit next and practice with it first. If i do well, then i'll get the gothic mansion and the victorian house kits. I love that scale, but have been a bit intimidated to try it.

I hope you are all right!!!! I have a micro BH on its way from the sale!!

The furnishings look soooooooo tiny.......hmmm making ones own stuff should be quite a challenge, I do not know if I am up to it...can you imagine how tiny the flowers would be? I can't wait to have the kit in my hands, will have to make another work station as my basement one is packed up for flooding...

What are everyones favorite tools for a micro project? Surely some items are different.......

When working in micro mini or even 1:48 scale, I'd never be without:

1. handwipes - the details are very very tiny and can easily stick to gluey fingers

2. Needle-point tweezers

3. Straight pins and pointed tooth picks

-Susanne

When working in micro mini or even 1:48 scale, I'd never be without:

1. handwipes - the details are very very tiny and can easily stick to gluey fingers

2. Needle-point tweezers

3. Straight pins and pointed tooth picks

-Susanne

Thanks for the information. What kind of glue do you use?

I like to use a long set of tweezers that curve at the end

toothpicks to spread the glue with

I like to use Aileens Tacky glue

paper before putting together

to stain the floors it is better to use a stain pen than what we use for reg house

keep all your trim peices and windows in the sheets while painting them

I also put my walls and such back in the sheets to paint them.

I use a paperplate to keep everything while Im working

some directions have you put the windows in from the inside walls....I prefer to put them in from the outside..that way I can put them in after house is completly together

to glue the windows and doors in

I like to hold peice with toothpick and run the edges lightly through the glue than place in the holes.

not sure what else I have to offer...but this....if your kit is lazer cut it will fit together with not many issues...if you are having one...its probably not put together corectly and you should start again.

I put one wall of the Garfield in back wards and didnt know it... and the first time I put the BH together it just didnt fit....after taking it apart and trying again...all was fine.

I got the little house that resembles the Fairfield from HBS and I have a farmhouse coming from E-bay soon.

I need a store and another church...I have a church but I totally mucked it up and it is NOT repairable. I try not to think about it! :yes:

if you are unsure about doing this scale...I recomend going to HBS and getting the 19$ kit they have...very simple and will give you a feel for this scale before jumping in with the more complicated kits.

Happy Building

nutti :lol:

Thanks for the information. What kind of glue do you use?

I use Aileen's Tacky Glue. I squeeze a little out on a foam throw-away plate. I usually have a couple of little puddles on the plate. Sometimes I use the fresher puddle, but on occasions the glue that's become a little thicker and tackier grabs and adheres quicker.

The pins and toothpicks are fabulous for transferring the glue to the very small pieces in these mini-scales. If you prefer the toothpick to the pin, you can "sand" the toothpick to an even smaller point. I also use the toothpick for painting trims in 1:144 scale.

One great pointer that I learned in a 1:144 scale workshop: Bring the object to the glue and not the other way around. If I've an extremely teeny tiny piece that I need to glue onto a larger (but still tiny object):

1. Put a dab of glue on the larger object at the point where you want the teeny tiny piece to adhere.

2. Dip the toothpick tip into the glue, touch the teeny tiny piece with the gluey tip of the toothpick (to pick the object up) and then transfer it to the place where you want it to be glued down. Sometimes just touching the item against the glue will make the transfer. If not, pick up a second toothpick (without any glue on the tip) in your other hand to touch it and make the transfer.

Once I mastered this technique, I've managed to transfer and glue the teeniest tiniest little beads without any problem.

Hope this is clear enough.

-Susanne

-Susanne