The Smithsonian Catalogue

Yes, it's all the Smithsonian's "fault" that I started on my dollhouse journey -- I fell in love with the sewing cabinet, sewing machine and other sewing room stuff...bought it..then had to build a house around it! Ordered the Garfield, and now I'm hooked.

So my husband always snatches the catalog when it arrives, shouting "Danger!! Danger!! Hide the credit card!!!" :whistle:

when a couple of you all mentioned that they carry miniatures, I signed up to get there catalog. There items are wonderful!!! Thanks so much for mentioning it again because that way someone new will discover there wonderful items!

Just wanted to agree that their prices are a bit outrageous. I was thrilled to see so many beautiful pieces but I really wanted a fireplace I saw in the catalog, I looked around a bit on the internet, and found the exact piece elsewhere for about 40% less, and the shipping was half the cost that Smithsonian was charging. Just FYI

The catalog is lovely, tho.

You're right, the Smithsonian prices are high. When I saw and fell in love with the sewing cabinet, I was totally innocent about the world of miniatures, and didn't know about all the multiple sources for them ... just saw the Smithsonian, fell in love, and bought it...

now I know better. :( But I still look for inspiration, prepare my "shopping list", and hit the Net! :whistle:

The Smithsonian catalog prices are high. As a Smithsonian employee, I can buy the items for a 20% discount, but even after the discount HBS is cheaper for me.

The reason the prices are inflated is that the catalog proceeds are used to build and replenish Smithsonian's trust fund. Believe me, SI needs the money. The trust fund took a huge hit after 9/11, when visitation was down to a trickle for almost a year. Federal dollars are shrinking, too. The federal budget increases each year, but does not keep up with inflation, so money is tight all over at SI.

My advice is, if you are a poor miniaturist like most of us, look for a better price on the items that you love. But if you do have extra cash to spend and want to support Smithsonian, buy from our catalog.

And if you are planning a visit to Smithsonian's Natural History Museum, be sure to say hi to me!

Jeri

Jeri, where do you work at the Smith? Our DS#2 lives in Burke, so we try for at least one trip in to DC while there, and DH knows I love to go to the Smith! We may not get back until later this year, but next time we do I'll come hunt you down!lol

I've been getting this catalog for about a year now. I just love their miniatures. Of course, like the rest of you I can't afford to buy most of the stuff. I am drooling over the Victorian bedroom in the new spring catalog tho. And dropping hints to DH.

lyn

Look at the order form insert, where several sale items are listed. The Blumen Flower Shop was orig. $195, now on sale for $149.99.

EDIT: I just checked their on-line catalog. There are several mini items on sale.

Smithsonian Toy & Miniature Sale Items

All Miniatures (includes sale items)

Edited by KathieB