Are there any Pierce builders here?

LynnieEP

Lynne, several people here are doing or have done the Pierce. I have only refurbished one, so I will await the others to respond to you. However, please also go and view the Blogs (mostly the team blogs) for painting, spackling, wood putty, painting and other tips.

Nope. Sometimes this is the only time that I can get peace and quiet ... I think several others have that problem too, LOL!

The most important thing I wanted to let you know is--don't be afraid to try it! We all do things different ways, and you should just pick the one that sounds the best to you. Also, for painting, wallpapering and glues, you should look at the weather conditions in your area. We had one person who couldn't get a certain wallpaper glue to dry because of the humidity in her area. Some of us down here in the South won't use hot glue because of the humidity and the heat. Just play around and pick what works best for you!

BTW, the Pierce is a beauty!

Between arthritis & being a retired night-owl anyway, I'm also usually up and about at this time; I just his a stopping place on the Westville a little while ago. I'm no help on the electrics, but I like to play with spackling compound and foamboard, not necessarily at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! It's been a couple of weeks and I've missed you! I've been helping my brother with a couple of Katrina evacuees and their families so I didn't have a chance to get started...but I do now! The other night I glued together the foundation base. This time I used tacky glue (no glue gun :( ) and it took a good while for it to dry. I used binder clips as clamps and they worked for me. Last night I positioned and taped the foundation wall pieces in place and that's as far as I have gotten.

I was planning to do some priming tonight but I read in the archives that I should seal first and then prime. This house is for a friend so I want to make sure that it is almost perfect. So, my question is, what brand sealer should I use and are there any tips I should know about applying it?

I've got heaps more questions but I'll start with this one.

When I built my first Pierce over 20 years ago I used a glue gun and had that house together in a week!

Oh, I do have one more question: I read in the instructions that you can use fast drying wood filler to fill in joints for a smooth finish. Has anyone used this and am I supposed to apply it after I paint?

Thanks!

Lynne

P.S. I'll have some pictures up as soon as I have something to show. Don't wanna bore you with the step-by-step stuff. :D

We've missed you, too :D

Lynne, If you're going to prime you don't have to seal, sealing or priming is to "size" the wood so 1) it's less likely to warp on ya and 2) it will take paint or wallpaper paste without sucking it up (I only used one coat of the yellow paint in the Westville bathroom over the white primer).

Sanding sealer comes clear or opaque (I learned when I got home & opened a new can and it was white; that was great because I was going to paint the house anyway). I don't notice any particular difference between the different brands, but try to steer away from lacquer-based sealers, both they and the non-turps-based solvents needed to clean the brushes will do nasty things to breathing apparatus, even with ventilation (the solvent also "eats" the cheap plastic-handled brushes I use for throwaway).

You use the wood filler to seal any gaps, so you'll use some of it before you paint & some of it after you paint, unless you're one of those very dextrous souls who does all their painting & decorating after it's all assembled. I prefer to use spackling compound, it dries faster & sands smooth, smooth, smooth; but whatever works for you.

Experiment on scraps if you want to see if/ how a technique works, you may even invent a better way :(

Havanaholly, thanks a bunch! I already have a can of primer but I thought I better post my question first about sealers before I commence ta primin'! :D

I haven't purchased the wood filler yet so maybe I'll give the wood spackling a try instead.

Thanks!

Lynnie

My very first house (I was too new to know the difference) was this one, actually mine was old and called Annablelle, same house. There are lots of nooks and crannies that you will NOT be able to get into once the house is built, so my advice is to sort of 'dry fit' everything (walls, floors, etc) b4 you do anything. If you are going to wire it there are some areas that you will have to do before you install everything. If you are using the stairs that come with it, you will need to wallpaper, wire and all to the part where this will go b4 you put the stairs in. I was so clueless then I didn't know to do that so my stairwell is dark so my little people have to carry candles with them when they go up and down. I have pix on my webshots, but they have not been updated in a looooong time. I will try to do that soon. Good luck, I can't wait to see it What colors are you using for the exterior? :D

Hi Mysallyb! Actually, this house is for my girlfriend so the only thing I will be doing is painting, shingles and wiring. She wants all the walls white and she wants it electrified so I will do as she asks. The exterior is going to be sort of a putty color and the porch floor will be hunter green. The trim will be another shade of green (the name escapes me at the moment). She has her work cut out for her because she has to pick out furniture, people, the whole nine yards. I really wanted to go to town with this house but I'm only allowed to put brick on the fireplace and that's it. When I'm finished with her house then I can tackle the one I have for myself. It's the Duracraft Farmhouse 505 (they don't make them anymore). I't's been sitting in the box for nine years! Thank God nothing is broken. After I did some research I found out that this house is/was very expensive...somewhere in the $450 range! :( I had no idea how valuable this house is! I'm really excited about it and can't wait to tackle it! Anyway, I'm getting off topic here.

Okay, so I should NOT put the stairs in before I wire. Got it. Are there any other spots that will be difficult to wire? I'm looking at the instructions now and the staircase assembly is the next step (:lol: although I won't be attaching them to the first and second floor until step D. I did build the Pierce years ago when it was Annabelle Pierce but it was just a shell and I sold it so I really don't have much to go on as far as do's and don'ts. Also, I was new to the hobby and was pretty much winging it. I used a glue gun to assemble the house so that should tell you how much of a rookie I was! :D

Sallyb, I thank you for your warning er advice B) and if there is anything else you can tell me to do or not do, please let me know.

Lynnie

The only thing is the second floor is supposed to be installed with the steps at the same time. Is there a way around it? My guess is that she is just going to put furniture in the house...or at least not try to paint or paper any areas that are hard to reach (ie. the front entry way). Which brings a thought to mind...I don't think she's given any thought to where, in each room, she wants to put lamps and chandeliers. :D Well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks for the help!

Lynnie

• 4 weeks later...

I have build the Pierce from Greenleaf in about 3 weeks because it had to be build on the kitchentable and we had to eat with plates on our laps, I added a new piece on the right side where I put in the stairs. I would like to show my pictures but I have no acces to a album I think. I have really enjoid the building part and wish you the same happy hours.

wilmamaria