A very sad day

Hallowell

As I write this I'm looking out my window watching six of my neighbors home in flames.

Our favorite restaurant and townpeople hangout for music and fine food is also burning.

We were about 100 miles away on a drive on a beautiful day when we got a call saying Slates restaurant and the apartments above was in total flames and that we should get home because our house is only about 50 feet away from this building.

The ride home was terrifying and full of tears until I got home and saw our house was unharmed.

I went in and instantly started crying. With a valium in me I went to see how the neighbors were doing and lots of tears were shed.

I have never been so terrified in my life. We lost a amazing town landmark and friendly gathering place and 6 homes.

I heard a wrecking ball was coming later to take down part of the building so I am going to a reataurant with friends for memories and tears.

I can not watch this building come down. I'm heartbroken for all and the town.

I'll post pictures in my gallery later.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no Greg, so horrible!!!! My heart goes out to you and the family that are involved in some way.

So happy to hear that you are safe though! Take care now!!!!

Lots of hugs!!!!

Such a horrible day for you and your townsfolk. My thoughts are with you and the people who are now homeless. Thank goodness your home was untouched - how awful for the six families, though. You must be in shock even now. Please tell us that no-one was injured! :)

Greg, I'm so sorry to hear your horrible news! I hope that nobody (including furpeople) was hurt, and I'm glad you and Russ and Sapphi are ok and didn't lose your home. You and your friends and neighbors will definitely be in my thoughts, and :) to you all, I wish I could do more :p

for the rest of us, here's a link to the short version from a local news station: http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=53478

I'm absolutely exhausted, we just went to have something to eat with friends, and walking back home we saw that the fire started up again, it's been burning for about seven hours now.

Slates restaurant was more like a family member than a building to this town and the people who owned the restaurant and employees are neighbors and friends.

There were over 100 people having Sunday brunch when the fire broke out in the apartment above the restaurant.

Everyone in the building got out safely, but one little kitty did not make it.

The fire depts are doing a wonderful job keeping my home safe and a large elderly apartment complex safe.

It's hard to fight the tears as we watch this piece of our lives burn.

Thank you al so much for your kind words, you are all so incredible.

I'll keep you posted.

I see a long sleepless night ahead.

Greg, this calls to mind the night we spent in the orange grove, watching a wildfire roar down the mountain toward our house in Ojai, CA. My heart goes out to all in your town. I'm sure there will be little sleep tonight.

Blessings on you and all your neighbors and the emergency personnel who are keeping you safe ... you are all in our prayers.

What a terrible thing to happen to your small town...

but I'm so glad no one was hurt (except for the kitty!).

I love old buildings...but unfortunately, once a fire gets started in them, it finds all kinds of places to hide out, and what is happening here is what happens all-too-often -- the fire seems to be out, and then it starts up again...

I hope your house continues to be safe, and any of the other buildings around it.

Take care!

poor kitty :)

it reminds be of our october wild fires 2 years ago. that was the scariest thing. my mom almost lost her house and i cant count at least 10 people that were either family or friends that lost homes. its a terrible thing.

I hope your feeling a little better and that you get some rest. *HUGS*

So sorry to hear your bad news. I'm glad that you, your partner, lovely kitty and beautiful home are safe and well. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you have to face the loss of your town's landmark.

Greg, here are lots of {{hugs}} for you & Russ and Sapphi and lots {{{{more}}}} for your friends and neighbors who lost their homes and landmark. Houses and restaurants can be rebuilt and memories live on as long as those who have them, but it's a blessing no one was even hurt. Your fire department people should get a lot of well-deserved recognition for trying so hard to fight that fire.

I'm so sorry. That is truly a terrible day. I too rememeber the several days that our beloved Southern California burned and it felt like it was all going to burn to the ground. It's a devastating loss and nothing will make you feel better for a while. As bad as it is, at least no people were killed. Buildings and things can be replaced- people cannot. But that probably doesn't help your feelings of loss right now. Hang in there- we all feel for you.

Sending big hugs your way!

Greg, I am so sorry to hear about the loss!! That has to be a scary thing to go through. I am so sorry about the loss of the buildings & cat!! That is so sad! Keep in touch and count your blessings dear! On the good side of the coin, look at All of the people that made it out safe with there lives. Keeping you & yours in my thoughts!