A very sad day

Hallowell

It's 9 hours later and it's still burning, they tore down the front of the building to try to get to the hot spots.

But there is some good news, the kitty that we all thought got lost escaped from the building and was found wandering around outside. So there was no sloss of life what so ever, thank goodness.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Greg I'm so sorry to hear about the fire that has devastated your neighborhood. I'm thankful that you your home was spared and that no lives were lost in the fire. My thoughts will be with you & the families that lost their homes.

Greg, I'm so sorry for the loss in your community of a place that you all cared so much about. I'm grateful no one was hurt and that the kitty was found safe. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Russ, Sapphi and your community tonight . . . keep well!!

Greg I am s glad to hear you and Russ and the home you have made together are safe. Loss is difficult...even loss of property. Luckily no one has been injured and what a blessing that seems to be.

Try to get some rest this evening, and tell your friends and neighbors ther are many people thinking of them at this difficult time.

Dear Greg, Russ and Sapphi,

how are you all? i am so very sorry to hear about the fire. what a terrifying day you all have had!

it is such a relief to know that your family and home are safe, and no lives were lost. your volunteer firefighters did really fine work - all respect and gratitude are due them.

but still ... what a sad time for your community. our hearts go out to you all.

sending bearhugs and megahugs to our brothers and sweet Sapphi,

cj

its so hard to see local landmarks go and in such a horrible way.

but no loss of life is the crucial thing. buildings and lives can be rebuilt.

so glad you and yours are safe and while you try to lend a helping hand remember you are not much good to anyone if you fall apart for lack of sleep and food. so take care of yourselves!

thinking of you.

nutti :lol:

ps when Belle Starr's resturaunt burnt here in our home town it burnt for almost 12 hours

that good ole Carthage Marble kept the coals nice and hot.

they just dont make them like they used to do they!

I am sorry Greg. I just read an article about it online. It is hard when a staple of your lives is gone in an instant.

Hopefully with alot of prayers answered they will rebuild.

Greg, I've just read this posting and I want to also say I'm so glad that you and Russ and your Sapphi and the townspeople are all safe. My heart goes out to the one's who have lost their possessions. What a terrible thing to have happen to a town's landmark.

Also, thank you Jen, for sending us the link to the news article.

Oh Greg I just saw your post about this terrible tragedy. At least nobody was injured. My heart goes out to you and your community. So sorry this has happened to you all.

I'm exhausted, my feet are wet, and I smell like smoke. I took the day off from work to help one of the tenants of the building remove some of her belongings from her third floor apartment, they gave us one hour to do it with the help of two firemen. We found out that her three kitties spent the night in the apartment as the build burned. We got one of her kitties which we brought to my house for warmth and safe keeping along with some of her possessions, but two of her kitties are missing. We think they escaped the building as one was seen running out the front door.

We also helped the restaurant remove the food from a large freezer and move it to another location. We hope to be able to save some of the tables and chairs.

The town is absolutely in shock and the spirit shows in all the people coming together to help each other. Lots of tears and hugs and planning for the future and we vow to rebuild.

Thanx everyone for your kindness, I can not tell you how I appreciate it.

Working together to salvage and plan a rebuild is the best tonic for you all, I'm sure. I do hope the other two kitties show up safe and sound. After reading the news stories, it's obvious that this fire will affect each and every resident of Hallowell intensely. Here's hoping your town will be stronger, and more closely knit than ever after surviving such a tragedy. Please do take care of yourself - helping those in need is wonderful, as long as you don't wear yourself out while doing so. Thanks for keeping us all informed, as we are very concerned about your welfare!