Pierce Window Upgrade - what did you use???

ChrisK in VA

Hi everyone,

I have gone totally CRAZY with this dollhouse! I've taken off the porch overhang to better paint/prime the house and am so glad I did! How much easier that has made things. I bought wood putty to fill in the gaps and am sanding everything down to a smooth surface for easier painting.

While at Home Depot I checked out the garden section and picked up a good amount of broken shards of slate off the ground. I want to affix them to the bottom portion of the porch.

Ok, here is my latest dilemma,

I want to upgrade the windows to a more Victorian flair and don't know if I should buy or build. Buying would be much easier and possibly cheaper in the long run :)

My two questions to you are what windows did you go with and how much modification was required to make them fit?

Would you recommend buy or build?

Well, I guess that counts as three questions! Anyway, TIA as always!

-Chris

HBS (miniatures.com) has a large selection of victorian window upgrades here if you're looking for something a little more ornate. You might have to cut out the windows in the Pierce to make them fit, but that's easy enough with a dremel and the Pierce windows are easy to access even after it's built. I added a swinging door to the kitchen after I built the house and that's an experience I really don't recommend unless you like standing on your head while holding a sharp power tool. <cackle> But it was worth it after I got the door installed. The upgrades add a nice finished look to the house and victorian windows would be an awesome addition.

I like your idea of the slate addition to the porch foundation. Very cool!!

Deb

Wow! A swinging door! Just what I was planning on doing.... would love to see yours. I spoke with the owner of the minature shop I frequent and she suggested cutting off the heads of two straight pins, cutting small notches at the top and bottom of the door, putting the pins through the notch and door, so it "swings" on the notches--or brackets (whatever you want to call them), then gluing the notches in place in frame.... does that make sense? Would love to see how you did yours.... my husband has his doubts about the above idea.

We also may be adding brass kickplate and door handle.... did you do that?

I really don't like using the dremel. Its power scares me - I have vivid visions of losing a finger and blood squirting everywhere. I use it sparingly but boy did it come in handy when I added those two windows :banana: I might have to commission my husband - hey, if I include him maybe he will understand why this dollhouse has taken over my nights and weekends!

Thanks Deb and Joe!

don't know about beacon hill upgrades, but doubless somebody here will know!

when people talk about a swinging door, do you mean a swinging door, as in, a door that swings and has a fingerplate?

or the swinging saloon-type doors?

i've thought about both. i also yen for a pocket door, but that is way beyond my skill (none) level.

i grew up in a house built in the 1920s. we had a swinging door (usually propped open) between the dining room and kitchen. there were french doors between the dining room and living room. it sounds rather grand, but it was a teensy house and the french doors were taken down in the 1950s. :banana:

Technically, the door I used in the Pierce kitchen is a two over four split swinging door. I like the swinging part of it best. <grinning> If fact, I often spend time just opening and closing the doors. Here's a pic of it right after I installed it. The only trick to it was that I decided to put it in *after* I had already put in the kit door frame and wallpaper and had to pry out the frame and expand the opening by just a wee bit on the sides and top.

post-329-1172738114_thumb.jpg

Deb

Hi Chris,

I wasn't crazy about the windows that came in the Pierce kit. I purchased the upgrade kit, which are working windows, they slide up and down. By the way, you can get working and non-working windows. Now I just have to figure out how to paint them, since they move. Only thing is, they are thicker than the walls. If I just paint the outside, then they stick inside too far. But when I put a piece of siding between the wall and the window, it fit perfectly. I just today bought some more siding. So I'll let you know how it goes.

Deanna

Pierce Dollhouse Builder

Baltimore, MD

Hi Chris,

I wasn't crazy about the windows that came in the Pierce kit. I purchased the upgrade kit, which are working windows, they slide up and down. By the way, you can get working and non-working windows. Now I just have to figure out how to paint them, since they move. Only thing is, they are thicker than the walls. If I just paint the outside, then they stick inside too far. But when I put a piece of siding between the wall and the window, it fit perfectly. I just today bought some more siding. So I'll let you know how it goes.

Deanna

Pierce Dollhouse Builder

Baltimore, MD

I bought those too and I think if I use them, I will still add the indoor trim around them. They fit nice but my house need a more old world feel and so I think I am stuck making them myslef :wave: At least that way I can change a few things though. The upgraded windows would work wonderfully if I was not trying to make this look like a castle :welcome:

The doors are beautiful!!!! did you purchase special doors--- or make them? What do they 'swing' on?

P.S. The wainscotting upstairs is grand!!!!!!!

all of what she said!

Deb, how about those doors!?!

Tracy, I think you & Rik need to confer on how he made his arched resin windows, they would be PERFECT for your castle!

I got a several of the windows and his doors too. Him & Marcia are just really sweet people and when (IF) I ever move, I will be hosting one of his classes at my house :wave: .

To use them in the Pierce would take too much bashing because the windows & doors are VERY thick. I am using them in a castle tower I am building though :welcome: . His stuff is way wonderful. I don't think he sells the windows & doors anymore now though :yay: . LAwbre have some beautiful gothic windows too.

What has Deb made that didn't look wonderful?

<cackle> Well, I believe in discarding my fatally flawed first efforts............as my ex husband will colorfully testify to. hehehehehheheheehe

Hey guys!! I just got my first two issues of American Miniaturist magazine and there's a *killer* article in the March issue by Jackie Garrington for making ornate and gothic doors from polymer clay. Tracy, you gotta see them! I looked at that and immediately thought of your Pierce. I know you've already got the doors in that house, but these doors are *really* your style. They're just too cool. This might get me into the world of clay!

And what about those swinging doors?

Oops, sorry I missed your question Debra. The door I used in the Pierce is a Houseworks door from HBS. It's pinned on either side so the panels swing. I think you could make them easily enough with some scrap and basswood for the doors and frame.....two panels for the door...cut basswood squares for the two-over-four detail and then make the frame from strips. Pinning the doors is fairly easy to do. Peggi has a great tutorial for pinning doors in her Coventry blog that will walk you thru it step by step.

Deb

The door I used in the Pierce is a Houseworks door from HBS.

Deb

I used that door too Deb in my Garfield kitchen, here it is:

post-663-1173617103_thumb.jpg

The doors swing in towards the kitchen

Here's another shot from the dining room side:

post-663-1173617227_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Deb! The tutorial was a great help.... right now my house (the one I live in, not the minature) is a wreck, my kids are living on fast food.... but I've made great strides on the Garfield this week. Today-- I'm tackling those doors! I let you know how it goes.

Irene-- love your kitchen!

--debra

Deb, I got the AM magazine you are talking about. I went ahead and used what came with the kit. I made a cute door in November and made a mold too so I could use it more than once. I made it for the Story book cottage I want to bash but after I saw the article, I started thinking of other ideas. I don't sleep well at night because of all these ideas coming through my head :ohyeah: This Pierce totally have me under some kind of enchantment because it's all I think about!! Now if I spent as much time WORKING on it as I do THINKING about it, it would be Done!

:lol:

Hi Chris,

Now I just have to figure out how to paint them, since they move.

Deanna

Pierce Dollhouse Builder

Baltimore, MD

Hi Deanna

I took my Garfield windows apart to paint. I found it was easier that way. Very easy to put back together.