Quilt Yo-yos?

I just got a kit for a mini yo-yo quilt. I haven't read the directions in detail yet, but you need to cut circles, then have a cardboard pattern to put each circle on and I think fold the edges down and sew a running stitch along the edge and then into the center. (This is where I'm not totally sure on the details.) I'll have to look it up again unless someone else has more knowledge.

How do you make the yo-yo s for a quilt? And how are they stitched together? I have tons of scrap fabric and I thought this might be a good use of it.

I made a few yo-yos for a wallhanging I made. I decided that was enough for me! You might check out the scrap quilt patterns on http://www.quiltville.com/ She's got some really neat patterns plus ideas for organizing scraps.

The wallhanging with the yo-yos,

post-719-1172943739_thumb.jpg

well cat sweetie...I would definatly be interrested in learning the secret of the size and how will you cut them out. I love yo-yo quilts. and would love to make them in miniature for my dollhouses!

good luck in this new endeaver

nutti :giggle:

I just got a kit for a mini yo-yo quilt. I haven't read the directions in detail yet, but you need to cut circles, then have a cardboard pattern to put each circle on and I think fold the edges down and sew a running stitch along the edge and then into the center. (This is where I'm not totally sure on the details.) I'll have to look it up again unless someone else has more knowledge.

Have you started yours yet? It might be fun to work together (in an internet -two thousand miles apart- kind of way). I've been really sick; my boss always comes in with some new cold and flu so he can pass it on to me. This last bout was a real doozy. I figure I can work on this in bed while I recuperate.

well cat sweetie...I would definatly be interrested in learning the secret of the size and how will you cut them out. I love yo-yo quilts. and would love to make them in miniature for my dollhouses!

good luck in this new endeaver

nutti :giggle:

Why don't you get a kit and we can all figure it out together? I'm just going to find some bits and bobs from around the house to use as templates. God knows what this will look like :)

Have you started yours yet? It might be fun to work together (in an internet -two thousand miles apart- kind of way). I've been really sick; my boss always comes in with some new cold and flu so he can pass it on to me. This last bout was a real doozy. I figure I can work on this in bed while I recuperate.

I haven't started yet. I just got the kit yesterday, but the seller has more on ebay. I got mine for 99 cents plus shipping. I have seen several more listed. I'm up for doing it together. I'm going to be taking care of my sister later in the week and will need something to do in CT. (She is going in to get her tonsils out and I'm her driver/care giver.)

99 cents?! Lucky you! The only one I saw was the buy it now at $11.99 that Jennifer posted. I looked and looked but all I saw were finished quilts. I made four yo-yos and then I had to lay down. This is going to be a long process. I'm interested in seeing what was included in your kit. Was everything pre-cut?

I made a few yo-yos for a wallhanging I made. I decided that was enough for me! You might check out the scrap quilt patterns on http://www.quiltville.com/ She's got some really neat patterns plus ideas for organizing scraps.

The wallhanging with the yo-yos,

Oh Wow! That is so cute! I wasn't able to see the image before (slow connection). How big is that?

Oh Wow! That is so cute! I wasn't able to see the image before (slow connection). How big is that?

It's about 23 inches wide by about 28 inches long. It's the first in a series. I've made three different ones so far and I'll probably make one more. I haven't figured out the design for the fourth one yet though.

Kathy

99 cents?! Lucky you! The only one I saw was the buy it now at $11.99 that Jennifer posted. I looked and looked but all I saw were finished quilts. I made four yo-yos and then I had to lay down. This is going to be a long process. I'm interested in seeing what was included in your kit. Was everything pre-cut?

my yo-yo quilt kit purchase

Here is the link to my purchase. Now I don't see anymore on ebay but for awhile she had several. The kit came with many cut circles, a template, instructions and a backing and pillow like the picture. I haven't really looked at it too much yet. I'll probably work on it later in the week when I'm away from home.

Oh, wait!! I just found another listing here. I found it by viewing other items from the seller who is namesakedoll.

I wish I had time to join on this one. I am still in the process of remodeling and waiting on the repairs to be done. I have porgressed to the painting stage in the majority of the house. I will soon be able to move my belongings back in. Maybe if something like this is done again in the future I could join in.

Melissa

There's no time frame, so you can join in whenever you have the time. I was thinking that this would be an ongoing thing, trying out different techniques, and motivating one another.

Carrie, that's a really sweet kit. Even with shipping, you got a great deal.

Cat I would be interested in trying it. We are remodeling the kitchen and the door for the garage is in the kitchen so I can't do my minis for a while, which really bites cause I can't work on my arbor entry.

The garage door is in the kitchen?! You aren't talking about one of those huge ones are you?

Carrie, that's a really sweet kit. Even with shipping, you got a great deal.

There is another one being auctioned if you or anyone wants it. When I bid on it there were at least 3 on there if not more.

well the cutting out went fine

the sewing ummm welll

I remembered why I no longer sewed as a hobby.

my circles were "just"....to small that when I hemed it it wasnt enough yo-yo(bunched up)

but I have OOOOOODLES of this size.....so I sewed them with out the hem which kinda sorta dont look....Horrible.....I would prefer a hem but Im using what I have and am proceeding with the non hem

yo-yos....yanno now Im thinking I would like to make a full size one....for my bed

I cut lots of light purple and Dark purple and suprise splash of colors.....

this yo-yo thing would make a wonderful canopy cover on a bed!

no photos as of yet.

nutti :):cheer:

You are probably being more critical than anyone else would. I've never made them before so I don't have any preconceptions of what they should look like. I keep thinking about a full size one (quilt) too... but I am feverish and the mood should soon pass. Maybe a pillow, could do a pillow, but anything larger might be beyond my skills and patience.

Hey cat look at you go.

I have done 20 or so....got plenty of them cut out.

yours look good....how many in each cluster?

nutti :wave:

There are seven in each cluster/medallion, they looked cute grouped together like that so I stitched them together.

There are instructions for making a yo-yo quilt in Dollhouse Miniatures November 2002 issue.

Jeri

Really? I'll have to see if I have that issue. I can't remember if I was still a subscriber at that time.