Quilt Yo-yos?

I haven't had a chance to check to see if I have that issue, but if I don't I will definitely take you up on your offer! Thanks :whistle:

Nutti, Melanie, how many yoyos did you want to trade so I know how many to make?

Im done with the yo-yos

I am very dissasitsfied with how they are turning out.

sooo no trading for me. perhaps I will stick with it long enough to make something out of all the circles I cut out of 3 diff fabrics...but Im not trading my pitiful attempts.

I am very eager to see what yall come up with. I just love the delicate look of the yo-yo bedcover!

I had thought about doing a full size one...can use my machine for that. :whistle:

ss ladies!

nutti :jump:

I have no idea how many. What ever sounds good to you. Jsut so I have this right we are doing 1 inch circles with a 1/4 hem? or just a narrow hem? I want to try to get the circles as close to the same size as I can so the quilts come out nice.

The article in Nov. 02 DHM is by Joanne Swanson and she suggests starting with a circle about 1 1/2" in diameter. That will allow for the 1/4" turn under to give a finished edge and still have a 1" diameter circle. In looking around to see what to use for a template, I found that a salt shaker is the right size. The disposable type by Morton.

Oh Nutti, you are being no fun. I bet your yoyos look 100 times better than mine, so there.

Melanie, I am not hemming mine... just starching the fabric and using glue/fray check on the edges. I'm using a quarter for my template and that is giving me 1/2" finished yoyos.

After trying a few with hems and without, I have decided I like them with hems. I have gotten better at hemming them as well. It definitely took a few times to get them right.

The kit I bought said the circles should be an inch in diameter. I found that was roughtly the size of tracing a water bottle cap. I'm going to make a few from my own fabric as well. They seem smaller than half an inch or at least smaller than Kat's. I'm off to sew some more.

I guess Iwas thinking of the stuffed yoyos with the gathered edged to the inside and sewing to of the circles together (the "yoyo"). If your opening is out on top & only doing a single layer then you would want a narrow hem.

I just invaded my mother's fabric stash--very huge. I tried the quarter and it is actually smaller than my pieces. I guess it is just your photo or the fact that I'm hemming them. Oh, well. I'm off to cut more circles from my mother's fabric. (This is what she gets for leaving her quilting studio alone for almost a year. :welcome: )

The quarter is 1/16th shy of an inch, I thought that would compensate for not using a hem. Assuming I used a 1/16th hem of course, I doubt I would be that precise.

I'm suffering from fabric stash envy over here.

• 1 year later...

I may be nuts, but I want to make a yoyo quilt for Marie Laveau's bed in The Adams Creole cottage. If RL yoyos are 2-3" in diameter, that means a 1:12 yoyo would have to be a quarter inch in diameter, tops. A dime is about 5/8" in diameter and could be used as a template. Thinking about cutting circles that small makes me shutter!

Has anybody done any this small? Any helpful hints?

Thanks!

Edit: Still thinking about this ... Maybe I'd be better off printing an image of a yoyo quilt on lightweight white cotton. With a white spread under it, would look as if you could see between the yoyos.

I may be nuts, but I want to make a yoyo quilt for Marie Laveau's bed in The Adams Creole cottage. If RL yoyos are 2-3" in diameter, that means a 1:12 yoyo would have to be a quarter inch in diameter, tops. A dime is about 5/8" in diameter and could be used as a template. Thinking about cutting circles that small makes me shutter!

Has anybody done any this small? Any helpful hints?

Thanks!

Edit: Still thinking about this ... Maybe I'd be better off printing an image of a yoyo quilt on lightweight white cotton. With a white spread under it, would look as if you could see between the yoyos.

Have you seen this? I love etsy!

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?sea...dollhouse+yo+yo

I love etsy, too! :) Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, the cloth yoyos are for a larger scale. A 3/4" yoyo would be 9 inches across in real life ... almost a dinner plate! And the 1:12 scale is crocheted, not the same look.

Kathie, use a nickel for your template and gather your yoyos fairly tight. I wouldbe sorely tempted to fake it with appliqueing the little circles onto a fairly sheer backing like batiste or hankie linen.

• 11 years later...

Hello everyone!  It's been awhile since I was last here.  I haven't worked on minis in a few years but I am finally back to it!  I just started working on a yo-yo quilt and remembered I had seen a topic regarding this on the forum here.  Has anyone finished one of these quilts?  I'm wondering how everyone's yo-yos look.  Here's a picture of one of mine.  Is the size to big?  It's good to be back to working on miniatures!!

0731192309.jpg

6 hours ago, dollhousebeth said:

Hello everyone!  It's been awhile since I was last here.  I haven't worked on minis in a few years but I am finally back to it!  I just started working on a yo-yo quilt and remembered I had seen a topic regarding this on the forum here.  Has anyone finished one of these quilts?  I'm wondering how everyone's yo-yos look.  Here's a picture of one of mine.  Is the size to big?  It's good to be back to working on miniatures!! 

Hi, Beth, welcome back! I was gifted some yo-yos by a forum member for my Marie Laveau cottage. They are 1/2" in diameter and appear to my eye to be in scale for 1:12. There weren't enough for a full spread, so I dressed the bed with the covers turned back. See it here.

• Like 1

Thanks Kathie...it's good to be back!  Your cottage is wonderful, I love it.  The yo-yo quilt looks wonderful.  My yo-yos are about a half inch also so they should work out too.  What a great idea to use turned back covers...I would never have guessed you didn't have enough yo-yos for a full cover!!

• 3 weeks later...