CHICAGO SHOWS

From the sketchy information posted in the original thread, it looks as if Tracy, Teresa, Uppitycats, Cindi & sister, and NJ & I will all be in Chicago at various times, some taking classes, some going to the Bishop preview show, some not. This is an interesting logistical challenge if we want to get together.

If y'all will PM me with your schedule -- classes, what times you'll be at which shows, etc -- I'll see if I can work out a time & place that could be mutually agreeable to all.

More importantly, let me know when you'll have some free time. I'm thinking getting together at meal time (breakfast, lunch or supper) would be fun if it's possible. We all have to stop to eat at some point, eh? :giggle:

Also ... if anyone else is going, speak out! The more, the merrier!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me! i wanna go too! but its sooooo not fair! theres 4 different shows running over the course of the same weekend! its a mini conspiracy! logistically impossible to see everything. how do you decide which one is worth goin to? ive never been to a mini show so i'd be happy just goin to one but that tom bishop one is supposed to be the biggy... is there 2-3 days of stuff to be seen there? or do ya'll go to 3 on three different days?

The three shows are within 3-4 miles of each other! The more public parts of them -- for us novices who aren't doing classes and such --

2 of them run Friday - Saturday; the other Saturday-Sunday. So I'm planning to go to one on Friday, one on Saturday, one on Sunday! :) By then my husband will be a bit crazy, but hey, I've hung around more than my share of hardware stores, waiting for him to pick out JUST the right nails...he can tag along behind me while I soak up these! :wave:

One of the shows even advertises that they're running a "free shuttle" between them, so it seems pretty do-able to take them all in.

The shows generally run from 10 - 5. I'm guessing that you probably could take in maybe two of them in one day and the third the next day, if you don't have the whole weekend.

We'll be driving 3-1/2 hours on Friday to get to the area, so probably will have seen quite enough of the one, though, by the end of that day! :)

I would try and find out more about this shuttle....I know one was running but we never caught it at the TB show and the front desk acted like they didnt know anything about it.

dont forget the Thorne Rooms and the Castle

nutti :)

I would try and find out more about this shuttle....I know one was running but we never caught it at the TB show and the front desk acted like they didnt know anything about it.

dont forget the Thorne Rooms and the Castle

nutti :wave:

Hi, Nutti..

Shuttles and I don't usually get along very well...very few of them are accessible for someone in a wheelchair...so my husband will be my main "shuttler" and "pusher" :)

But....what's the Thorne Rooms and the Castle???? :)

hi uppity. for once i can answer a question here! :)

the castle is colleen moores fairy castle an its located at the museum of science and industry on the southside of chicago in hyde park. ive seen it twice and its really spectacular! the entire castle is done up in fairy tales. they also have a really cool (and huge) model train display depicting a run from chicago to seatle wa. i could spend hours just looking at that alone! next time i'm takin my mini binoculars so i can get closer.

the thorne rooms are room boxes depicting life in the 1900's located at the art institute of chicago. ive been tryin to get info as to whether they are on permenant display. they dont have that info on their website! havin seen the fairy castle, i'm really itchin to get to these rooms. ive also been to the art institute twice but never knew these were there!

one cool thing is that i can get free passes from the library here. the admission is anywhere from 10-15 per person + another 20 to park all day. i just take the train ($4 round trip). these passes admit up to 10 people! what a deal!

ive included a link to the museums... you can take a virtual tour of the fairy castle, but only see a few pics of the thorne rooms.

http://collaboratory.nunet.net/museums/pages.cfm

Oh...THOSE things!! :) I saw Colleen Moore's castle years and years ago when I was a child, living in the Chicago area. It would be fun to see that again. And the roomboxes... hummmm...may have to have a small chat with my husband...and extend the cat sitter for another day.. :wave:

Sharon, Irene ... are there any other Chicago-area members who won't be attending the shows but may be able to get together? Let me know via PM if you'd be interested and when it would be convenient for you to get out to Woodfield/Schaumburg. :)

well, ive had a hard time findin anyone here. i know there are groups but the closest NAME group to me is full. i did fing that out... the other one is kinda far south.

personally, ive got 2 weeks of paid vacation comin up after mar 9th... i was thinkin that i'd take a week and just try to mini myself to death! what fun! do the shows and see if i could check out the pass for the art institute! thats the problem with these passes... you have to check them out, and only for 1 week at a time, and theres no waiting list to get on for them... you kinda got to take whats available. the art institute one is almost always there though... i tried to get the one for the Field to go see the King Tut thingy but it was always out so i missed that one. maybe in my next lifetime...

but i'm up for anything. an all day affair and lunch at the thorne rooms would be really cool. i think im gonna call and make sure they are on permenant display just to be on the safe side. i'd really be mad if they only haul them out for special showings occasionally!

ya'll lemme know! this could be interesting!

My partner is from Chicago, I wish we could have planned a trip to see his family and see the show but the timing was wrong. I hope everyone has fun and doesn't spend too much. :flowers:

Not spend too much? Ha! :cheer:

me! i wanna go too! but its sooooo not fair! theres 4 different shows running over the course of the same weekend! its a mini conspiracy! logistically impossible to see everything. how do you decide which one is worth goin to?

The shows other than the Tom Bishop are quite small so it is no problem hitting them all. Last year we attended the Friday Preview Show of the Tom Bishop, Saturday morning hit the other shows and then back to the Bishop show Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning before flying out. We had no problem using the shuttles between the shows, the most we ever waited for a shuttle was maybe five minutes at any given location. Have a great time!

Valerie

The Thorne Rooms are on more or less permanent display in the basement. I could have spent the day there, but there were several school tours going through while we were there & the kids don't seem to have any patience for an elderly miniaturist trying to take in the mastery of those artisans.

Teresa .. I got you message with change of plans. Tried to respond to your PM but got a message that you have blocked all such messages.

Thanks Kathie! I'll have a look into that! Hmmm . . .

I just sent you a test PM and it went through ... the glitch seems to have healed. :flowers:

Here's the scoop! It looks as if all of us can be available for breakfast on Saturday, March 31, before the Bishop Show opens to the general public at 10 am.

I suggest we meet at the Hyatt Regency -- where the show is -- in the Tre Cena restaurant, lobby level, overlooking the pool and courtyard, at 8:30. Several in the group are staying at the Hyatt, and I think the rest of us can get there easily enough. Tre Cena has a full breakfast buffet for those of us who need a good dose of protein to start the day, or you can have something lighter if you're a no-breakfast person.

I sent a message to Irene, who lives in Chicago, to see if she can join us. If anyone else lives nearby, isn't planning to go to the show, but wants to join us for breakfast, please do! :)

Here's a list of those attending.

evervescent (Andrea)

cwoods (Cindi)

uppitycats (Ann) & DH Ralph

Minis On The Edge (Tracy)

MiniMadWoman (Teresa)

beachpeach (Sharon)

KathieB (Kathie) & Norma Jeane

I'm getting soooooooooooooo excited!

EDIT: :ohyeah: I started this message using the Greenleaf skin. When I posted, it came up with the Easter skin! Talk about excited!! :p

Edited by KathieB

This sounds perfect! Thanks so much for setting it up!

I've got 17 large books of decorator samples -- you know, wallpaper, carpeting, sample sizes from home decorating shops. These came to me as "freebies" with my new RealGood dollhouse.. and I certainly can't use ALL Of them! I'd be glad to bring them along if any of you want any of them? They're way too heavy to mail. If I don't get any takers, I'm gonna pull out what I want and trash the rest....

Just let me know..I'll throw them in the car.

And Tracy, you've got a dollhouse kit for me! :wave:

Oh..and can my husband Ralph come, too? He's been working hard on the Brimble, did lots on Lady Garfield, and already is thinking about how to do up the new one... :thumb:

Thanks Kathie for setting this up! It sounds good to me! It will be really nice to meet all of you!

Ann, I don't see why you can't bring hubby along . . . the more the merrier!

Only 17 days left!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!

Ann, for sure bring Ralph along!

And my running buddy, Norma Jeane, will be there, too. She's not a forum member, so I forgot to put her on the list. I just added both of them to the list.

and here we are again needing some sort of GL identification!

last yr we had our lovely aprons on during class and sometimes dinner out :doh:

yalll need to pin a big green leaf to yourself!

and please DO take photos!

Im soooo GREEN with envy I cant be there this yr with you.

but maybe next yr. its really not so far...just 8 hours or so for me.

I hope yall have a blast!

nutti :wave: :thumb:

I would just like to be there to meet everybody.

Not to fret ... we'll take pictures and then talk about one another back here at the forum ... :wave: ... NOT!