Anyone up for a mini quilting bee?

CatColorado

I'm not quite sure what I have in mind. I was thinking that we could start with yo-yo coverlets because I hear that there are kits you can buy if you want (if you don't have the materials on hand, if you like the security of having a kit, you just like kits, etc). We could share pictures and maybe swap yo-yos.

Here's a link to the thread which started all of this:

Yo-yo thread

There's discussion of kits and various other things there.

I'm in since I have the kit.

We could also do different quilt squares and swap to make mini samplers. I think that might be even more interesting than swaping yo-yo's. Just putting it out there. One of my future houses is going to be a quilt shop so I've been giving lots of thought to mini quilts lately.

I just threw the swap thing out there. In the case of the yo-yos, I was thinking if anyone had extras and someone else wanted them then a trade could be worked out. But yeah, trading blocks would be cool... how about after finishing the coverlets we do the samplers. Of course, you'll have to educate me on exactly what a quilt sampler is. :)

rofl

oh my Cat...sounds like an interresting plan

I have material and all the time in the world but I have no idea how to cut such small yo-yo's

or even know what size circle to start with.

a swap of yo-yo's would be good for making variety.

I will follow this thread to see where it goes!

nutti :)

From what I gather, since you lose half the size (ie. A two inch circle of fabric makes a one inch yo-yo), a one inch circle of fabric would make a half inch yo-yo... which would equate to a six inch yo-yo in real life. I've seen pictures of real quilts made with yo-yos that size so it would be considered "in scale", and you could conceivably make them any size you wanted to.

As for cutting them out, I'm just tracing my circle out onto the wrong side of the fabric (in pencil) and using regular (but sharp) scissors to cut them out. I do have fabric scissors but they are huge and I might lose a digit in the process.

I am actually making mine too small so I may make a coverlet with a combination of sizes. The "big" ones in the center, followed by the itty bitty ones, then edged with mid-size ones.

Here's that link I posted in the other thread on full size yo-yos. It might be helpful to other quilting newbies like me.

http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/yoyo.htm

You take a circle of fabric and make a hem around the edge using a running stitch. You pull on the thread to gather the material, it will look like a little bag. Then you squash the bag down so the hole is in the center of the circle. There are pictures and a much better description in the link I posted.

well Im going to give it a go...but only in one size

thats enough!

somewhere I have some leftover from a kit

so all I got to do is take it apart and use it as template

hmmmmmm now where did I put those???

it was about this time last yr I was making pillows out of them for some friends of mine!

I just threw the swap thing out there. In the case of the yo-yos, I was thinking if anyone had extras and someone else wanted them then a trade could be worked out. But yeah, trading blocks would be cool... how about after finishing the coverlets we do the samplers. Of course, you'll have to educate me on exactly what a quilt sampler is. :)

A sampler is a quilt with different squares. Here is a picture (well kit) of a sampler I found on-line:Sampler Link for the most part you can use any squares you want and make it any size you want. Often when someone is first learning to quilt by a class they make a sampler to teach the different techniques in piecing a square, or when doing a trade you often would make a sampler so that everyone can make whatever square they want (unless you are all making the same square but from different fabrics).

You take a circle of fabric and make a hem around the edge using a running stitch. You pull on the thread to gather the material, it will look like a little bag. Then you squash the bag down so the hole is in the center of the circle. There are pictures and a much better description in the link I posted.

I'll bet in 1:12 it would be a whole lot easier to use fray check around the edge and not try and turn the raw edge over. A mini yo-yo quilt would be really cute.

Kathy

The yo-yo's have been found...they are 1 inch in diameter and are hemed.

so now I will dig out some material and do some today and see if I can do it.

I have been wanting to do this for some time...just have had no inspiration...thanks Cat!

I'll bet in 1:12 it would be a whole lot easier to use fray check around the edge and not try and turn the raw edge over. A mini yo-yo quilt would be really cute.

Kathy

I was wondering about that last night, especially with the tiny ones. I made some that are 1/4" with a hem and they look rather pudgy... more like a biscuit than a yoyo. I guess I could apply the fray check with a small paint brush.

I can already feel my hands crampng up trying to stitch that small!

Hee hee hee snort :flowers:

You don't have to make them all at once! There's no time limit or anything; everyone just works at their own pace, and you could make a pillow instead of a coverlet if you wanted.

so the plan is to make yo-yos to exchange with each other to make the color choices for our projects more diverse?

I used mine for making pillows and I think they turned out really nice.

as for them bunching up?

loosen the thread and iron them flat...could help.

nutti :flowers:

Those sampler blocks look like a job for fusible web and pinking shears. Or glue, definitely glue.

One way is to do foundation piecing where you sew scraps to a piece of paper with the pattern on it in an order to make the square. It is a technique in quilting to make some of the more interesting shapes than when you just use triangles and quadrilaterals. I found a book on mini quilts and this is how they did all of the quilts. It is time consuming though. I also have played with the basic 9-patch because it is the easiest. I'm going to play around with a few other traditional squares though.

Re: trading

Those who want to trade can trade, those who don't...don't have to. I'll trade, Nutti says she'll trade, I think Melanie fainted... .

Re: Foundation piecing

How do you handle the raw edges? How do you connect the various pieces together if you are just sewing onto the paper?

guess what

I used a compas to draw my circle on paper the size of the one I took apart.....

:cheer: :love:

the bottle top off of my crystal light 16oz is the perfect size.

so tonight while we watch TV I guess I will try and cut yo-yo's and see if I can

get er done.

nutti :flowers:

Ok I want in on this, I think it will be fun, but I'm not sure how well my yo-yo's will turn out, I do not sew, I throw shirts away so I don't have to sew missing buttons back on!. So I am willing to trade fabric for yo-yo's. I'll send any colors you want. I'd like my quilt to be multicolored so I'm easy.

About how many yo-yo's does it take to make an average dh quilt?

You go, Nutti!

Ya know, I haven't a clue as to how many of these little buggers we'd have to make. Depends on the size of the yoyos and whether you are covering a twin size or larger bed. I'll trade with you, I don't have any fabric in blues or lavendar or purple, so those colors are always welcome. Other than that, I like whatever is pretty.