Anyone up for a mini quilting bee?

CatColorado

Great, My son is taking me out to lunch tomorrow for my birthday so first stop will be at Joann's for alot of fabric! He says he never knows what to get me for my birthday! This is giving me alot of ideas.

I'll let you know as soon as I ship.

I have a picture! The little round things are the 1/4" yoyos, the one towards the bottom is a 1/2" one. I tried using spray sizing and some glue on the edges, instead of hemming and it worked.

I don't know why they are called yo-yos, I've heard of them referred to as pinwheels too. Maybe someone "in the know" will tell us.

As for sewing them together, I know you can whipstitch the big ones together. With these little ones, I was going to try running a thread through a row at a time (think beading), and knotting at the end of each row. I don't know if it will work or not.

Ok, it doesn't totally explain the reason it is called a yo yo quilt, but it gives some history and has a picture of a life size onehttp://www.museums.state.ak.us/QuiltExhibi...ltspdf/YoYo.pdf It looks like it was called a yo yo quilt because wooden yo yos were popular around the time these were as well.

This website has pretty good instructions on making a life size yo yo.

Great info Carrie, Thank you!

My computer tried dying on me this morning, actually...it was dead but I was able to revive it. I wonder if it saw a white light... . Anyway, I wonder if it's the power supply that's going, it's an old computer.

Happy Birthday Terri!

I made a bunch of yoyos this morning and I can't get over how cute they are. I called in sick to work (Bossman was not happy) and the yoyos are a perfect recuperation project. How many of these should we plan on trading (the yoyo to yoyo trades)? About 25?

Kat, those little yo-yo's look so cute, just the right size for 1/2 scale. Or place mats in 1/12 in a country kitchen.

25 sounds like a good number, as long as thats enough to make a bedspread or large quilt.

I didn't make it to joann's today, hopefully tomorrow. I do have some other colors ready to send you.

The circles don't have to be hemmed unless your fabric is really ravelly. The full-sized quilt yoyos are lightly stuffed with bits of batting before sewing together, and a thinner quilt can be achieved by sewing just one yoyo directly onto a backing. When they're sewn together the ones I've seen wind up looking like little hexagons or octagons because of how many are sewn around one. I have also seen the ones only sewn on four sides with spaces between.

I've done embroidered tops to simulate applique quilts and I've been collecting tail ends of spools of colored satin 1/4" & thinner ribbon to weave a fancy quilt top. I gues you could use singlestrand embroidery floss in French knots to simulate the knotting & to trim in blanket stitch.

Kat, those little yo-yo's look so cute, just the right size for 1/2 scale. Or place mats in 1/12 in a country kitchen.

25 sounds like a good number, as long as thats enough to make a bedspread or large quilt.

I didn't make it to joann's today, hopefully tomorrow. I do have some other colors ready to send you.

Oh you are going to need more than 25 to make an entire quilt (unless I make bigger yoyos), I was referring to the yoyo to yoyo swaps. There are 21 yoyos pictured in my avatar to give you an idea, each medallion is about an inch and a half across. I'll make you more since we are working out a different trade and you can't sew.

Kat, sorry I wasn't clear. I did mean the larger yo-yo's for the 25. But the small ones are still cute! I'll take whatt ever you make, I want to put a quilt in my Tennyson's gift shop, and in my Pierce's livingroom.

Got the material today, so as long as the snow stays away I should have it mailed Thursday.

Can I play too? I have a DH with a cold (he's been out of work for 3 days) and a recuperating cat (had her spayed) and I'm on the look out for the men in the white coats. Maybe that will keep me sane. :whistle:

Can I play too?

Sure! No one (except me) has posted any pics yet but we have plenty of info links. Make sure to check the yoyo thread under Other Creative Endeavors, we've been posting there too. Nutti is using a bottle top as her template and I am using a quarter. I don't know what Melanie is using or will be using. Carrie's circles are precut (lucky, lucky Carrie) and she will be working on hers this weekend... and Terri is waiting for me to sew faster, :jump:

I have a DH with a cold (he's been out of work for 3 days) and a recuperating cat (had her spayed) and I'm on the look out for the men in the white coats. Maybe that will keep me sane. :whistle:

That's how I feel at work and I start actually seeing people in white coats... but I do work in a lab so I guess I shouldn't panic :wine:

I worry more about the coat their bringing for me. :whistle: My poor cat is an outdoors critter. She doesn't like being cooped up very much and I can't blame her. We have been letting her in the house but since she isn't litter trained, it's been interesting to say the least. If she will allow me to stop petting her while she reigns from my lap, maybe I can start on the yo-yos. DH is planning to return to work in the a.m. and I might actually get some housework done.

Do I just make them any color I have on hand or is there a color scheme?

Just make whatever you like, and if you want to trade with some of us then just make extra. Nutti isn't trading anymore because she doesn't like how hers are turning out. I'm still open to trading, as is Melanie.