I actually did some work on my Garfield tonight!

JaimieMarvon

With our move from NJ to FL now under my belt for almost 2 months now and I started a temp to perm ob two weeks ago; making almost the same as I was in NJ (WHA HOOW!); I hada a little time to dive in and get something done. I am an Executive Admnistrative Assistant for the Vice Pres. of the entire Florida Region and the Educational Director of an international company called Medtronic (makes pacemakers and such).

I felt good to do the work and I even have a very small injury from it. LOL All I did was make the oval windows larger and octagon shaped to fit the windows I bought over 6 months ago. I started out trying to put some more stuff away in my little craft room. Unpacking a few more of the boxes in there. I came across the windows I bought before we moved and never got to them. I made a lot of sawdust and I'll have some cleaning up do to tomorrow, but I'm happy that I did it.

We'll see how long this temp to perm job lasts. I think I've got a good chance of being offered it perm, but do I want it? The main boss the VP, basically expects me to know the job and his preferences by osmosis ! Doesn't even give me time to give him messages or ask him a question! Just says "you need to do this". He's also very intimidating and rushes around so much and he's a bit intimidating the way he talks to me. I've never had to deal with anyone like that. My last several bosses have been kind enough and understood there is a learning curve with a new job. I'm thinking that the only way to solve the problem is to sit downn and tell him straight out. I'm not going to go to a job everyday that I'm "afraid" of what I may do "wrong" and get repremanded. I am a DAMN great Admin and I do not need to take that kind of treatment. By the way... I'm the 3rd temp to perm person put into that position. The others were not as qualified as me, as told to me by the agency, and the Educatin Director and I get along very nicely. He's a "nice guy" personality, night and day from the VP!

Anyway... hope everyone is doing well. I've got to get to bed. Whew, all that work I did tonight made me sleepy. LOL :)

So do I have this right: you're the Administrative Assistant for two different people, one a Vice-President of (long title) and one the Educational Director? (When I first read your post, it sounded like you were an AA and also the Ed Director..)

Anyway...maybe you could talk to the Educational Director -- presumably he's on par with the VP -- and ask him how to approach the VP? Or if he could talk to the VP? Sounds like you're well qualified...and you don't want to jeopardize your position just because the VP doesn't know how to train new employees!

I'm glad you're back working on the Garfield. I'm getting close to buying those upgraded windows, myself. :)

Jaimie, it is good to hear you are settling into Florida. I was going to suggest seeing if there is someone you can ask a few questions to. I think Uppitycats is right. Talk to the Educational Director first and see what he says about it. I'm guessing he may be annoyed they are on their third admin assistant because of this other guy. He will probably be willing to help. Good luck!!

Glad you are back!!

ya i would just tell it to him straight.. otherwise you will just be unhappy at work. And nothing is worse then going to the same place everyday and dreading it. Ive been there and done that. I am very happy for you on getting some work done on your garfield! icant wait to see pics!

Hey, Jaime! DH is the proud owner of a Medtronics pacemaker and has been for ten years or so. It's so nice that he can check in once a month and get a reading over the phone. :flowers:

Hope you and the VP boss find a comfortable working relationship. He may be a bit edgy about you because he's shot two other people out from under himself. He may have convinced himself that nobody is going to work out so isn't making an effort. When he sees how good you are and begins to relax, maybe life in the worksplace will get better. <crossing fingers and sending good vibes your way> "Ooooooohhmmmmmmm"

Anyway...maybe you could talk to the Educational Director -- presumably he's on par with the VP -- and ask him how to approach the VP? Or if he could talk to the VP? Sounds like you're well qualified...and you don't want to jeopardize your position just because the VP doesn't know how to train new employees!

Jaimie, it is good to hear you are settling into Florida. I was going to suggest seeing if there is someone you can ask a few questions to. I think Uppitycats is right. Talk to the Educational Director first and see what he says about it. I'm guessing he may be annoyed they are on their third admin assistant because of this other guy. He will probably be willing to help. Good luck!!
I actually HAVE "talked" to Fernando (Educational Director). He's the "too nice guy" so he just does his job well and deals with the VP guy. The VP is like a tornado! LOL I thank you all for your words of support. I do plan on trying to say something, but I have to get my nerve up to do it. And I know that as much as I rehearse my words that when I actually get to that point I will be so nervous that it will not come out anywhere near what I had planned on saying. :flowers: But I absolutely WILL do it, then see how things go. If it doesn't get better I will not be staying. I just really hope that it works out. such great benefits, and huge company, plus the $$. The cost of living in FL is so much lower than in NJ I am lucky to find something that is just about what I was making in NJ. Thanks again for your words and well wishes!

Hey, Jaime! DH is the proud owner of a Medtronics pacemaker and has been for ten years or so. It's so nice that he can check in once a month and get a reading over the phone. :cheer:

Hope you and the VP boss find a comfortable working relationship. He may be a bit edgy about you because he's shot two other people out from under himself. He may have convinced himself that nobody is going to work out so isn't making an effort. When he sees how good you are and begins to relax, maybe life in the worksplace will get better. <crossing fingers and sending good vibes your way> "Ooooooohhmmmmmmm"

So nice to hear Kathie!! Even if I wasn't working with the company! I haven't learned enough about the products yet. But I have an idea of when you are talking about. Good luck to your husband for a LONG healthy life!

Good to hear that you have some time for your Garfield. Remember, in our day-to-day lives, things can get a little larger than we like. If that happens, head to your mini world. Things seem much easier to handle there. :)

There always seems to be that one boss that has a tyrannical Napolean complex..is he short? LOL

Have you ever watched the movie "the devil wears prada"? Maybe he is seeing if YOU can cut it, up to his standards. If you were to deal with what he is throwing at you, he knows you are what he wants...you know what I am saying?

Not to say that is right or just..but if you like the job, give it a lil more time and see how it goes. But if it is making you take your job home with you then it isnt worth it.

Good Luck!

I'm glad you've got settled in and working and can't wait to see pics of the Garfield.....I had a boss he was a prefectioness....everything had to be his way or no way.......and he made everyone miserable.....

• 2 weeks later...
There always seems to be that one boss that has a tyrannical Napolean complex..is he short? LOL

Have you ever watched the movie "the devil wears prada"? Maybe he is seeing if YOU can cut it, up to his standards. If you were to deal with what he is throwing at you, he knows you are what he wants...you know what I am saying?

Not to say that is right or just..but if you like the job, give it a lil more time and see how it goes. But if it is making you take your job home with you then it isnt worth it.

Good Luck!

He's not tyranical. And if he's trying to see if I can cut it, its nto workign, cause he hardly gives me any work. So I'm definatley not taking anything home with me.

I made the decision Tuesday night and spoke to hubby about it. I am leaving this "temp to perm" job for several reasons. The "nice guy", Fernando, got promoted and is moving back to Orlando. He was my buffer and he was the one who was helpful enough to tell me things I need to know about the company and the job specifically. The "big" boss is so brash and inconsiderate, It seems like he expects me to know how he wants me to do the job by osmosis! I've been BORED out of my mind all week and I have nothing to do. Taking very few phone messages whil waiting fo rhim to come back from playing raquet ball, or talking to everyone under the sun about his fishing boat and vacation next month. There is no possibility of getting hired perm for at least 3 months.

I also realized the other day that its and hour commute each way and my son is at day care for 11 hours. That is WAY too long! I have to wake my 4 1/2 year old up at 6 am and now its still dark when I bring him to school. I hardly have 15 minutes to spend with him at night, besides eating dinner before he has to go to bed.

I called the agency and told them today. Said I wanted to leave but I'd give it till Friday so the company was not left in the lurch. I waited all day for the call to come to the boss and it never came. Oh well. I've done my duty. Being a temp to perm job I don't need to even givin any notice at all.

I just wish I didn't fell so responsible to have to go back tomorrow and Friday. :lol: Thanks for listening everyone!

I'm sure something interesting will open up for you nearer to home.

I feel like Kathie does.....you will find somethng closer...hang in there....will send poistive vibes your way....