March 4, 2007 Music

Can a podcast count? I don't listen to CDs much anymore, mostly ipod, and for the last month or two it's been Jean Shepherd's show on WOR, NY, from back in the 1960's, I'm in 1964.

You remember the movie A Christmas Story, with Ralphie & the BBgun? Jean Shepherd wrote it, Ralphie is based on himself as a kid.

Can a podcast count? I don't listen to CDs much anymore, mostly ipod, and for the last month or two it's been Jean Shepherd's show on WOR, NY, from back in the 1960's, I'm in 1964.

You remember the movie A Christmas Story, with Ralphie & the BBgun? Jean Shepherd wrote it, Ralphie is based on himself as a kid.

I love that movie! Jean Shepherd's show sounds like something I'd like to hear. :)

Mary, if you have iTunes installed on your computer you can listen to free podcasts.

1= in case you don't have an ipod, you can still download iTunes and listen to things while on the computer.

2= once you have iTunes, click on the iTunes Store link in the program, then find Podcasts near the top of the store page.

3= the podcasts page has video and audio podcasts, select audio, and it'll take you to the next page. There's all kinds of things listed, I recall seeing language lessons too.

4= you can also find Jean Shepherd podcasts by typing his name into the store search box. They have albums & podcasts. Select podcasts.....although they list a ton of stuff, only the first 2 are Jean Shepherd, they're the Brass Figlalee and Mass Backwards.

Click subscribe and you can start dowloading episodes, and they're FREE.

So far I've downloaded and listened to over 150 of them, and I'm still near the bottom of the list. There are some from the 50's, when he was in Philly, but they don't have that Shepherd touch yet. The rest of them run from 1960 to the late 70's.

Apparently fans of the show were recording them and sending them to friends who couldn't get WOR. The commercials are there, and once in a while a show will have some static or bleedover from other radio shows on the dial. One time I could faintly hear that old song about how a guy should never make a pretty woman his wife, and another one I haven't heard since the early 60's, some little ditty about the house of bamboo.

I used to listen to Shep in high school, when I lived in the Philly area. At night my little transistor radio would pick up New York.

Grazhina, I think it's time I get into the 21st century.

I've given ipods to my grandchildren for Christmas, but I've never really understood much about itunes, etc.

I'm going to copy your directions down, and get into itunes. I know my husband would love Jean Shepherd, too.

Do you remember WinMix? When it was still new we downloaded a bazillion songs, but then lost them when our computer crashed.

I always wanted a transitor radio! I remember my cousin had one, and I wanted one so bad!

But that's another story..... :)

No Cd player here these days, but I hear Allman Bros. "Blue Sky" everyday as my ringtone on phone, and Bob's is "Smoke On The Water" by Deep Purple :) I really must get something more in tune with upcoming holidays for a new ringtone...wonder if I can get "I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas"?? :):)

I have a CD player in my car and downloaded my faves from my "real" CDs on the computer and burnt them in no real order so I could have the copies in my car and leave the real ones at home. My car was broken into a couple years ago and my good CDs were stolen, some I haven't been able to afford to replace yet.

I have the whole mess out there - Janis Joplin, Memphis Slim, Steppenwolf, AC/DC, Irish fiddles, Pentangle, Tom Rush, big band music, Shawn Phillips, old Doobie Brothers (had to special order their first album, then had to special order the CD of the first album), Byrds, Charlie Musselwhite, kd lang, Neil Young, CCR, Tom Paxton....and on and on. But today I was playing some old Doors and Albert Collins on the way home. Good stuff.......

• 3 years later...