Article on Tracy in UK Dollshouse & Miniature Scene magazine

I don't know if this has already been mentioned on the Forum (had a quick look and can't see it) but I bought a copy of the April issue of Dollshouse & Miniature Scene here in the UK, and there was a big article on our very own Tracy (Minis on the Edge). Full of gorgeous photos of her wonderful houses, and a very good read, really inspiring. Now if only we could buy Creative Paperclay here in the UK...

Sharon (UK)

Hi There Sharon! Thanks so much for your sweet words!

In the May issue of Dollshouse & Miniature Scene, I took pictures of some air dry clay that hopfully you can find in the UK (I hope they post that picture, you never know which ones they will use). I will have a fireplace "how to" in that article. I will look on my computer for the picture and post that picture because I got a pack of air dry clay from Trees Beertema from the UK last year and it is just like Das Clay (Which I have used to make stones too).

I'll look for that picture!

I see the original thread was in February, obviously I didn't look back far enough, I must have bought the issue really late. The magazine seems vastly improved from when I last bought it a few years ago and I have now subscribed, so hopefully my first issue will have the How To for the fireplace in it! looking forward to it.

Sharon

One of the more interesting things the EU has brought about is a standardization of metric paper sizes, and the English mini magazines are larger than ours for that reason. I loved DHMS & DW, just cannot afford the subs! For slightly more than two one-year subscriptions to DHMS cost I can get two years of both AM & DHM.

I find that quite funny, because I generally find American magazines are cheaper as well! But then we have benefited from a really good exchange rate the last year or so. I subscribe to AM and MC from the States, and Dollshouse Magazine here in the UK.

I really like how-to articles as well, but funnily enough a friend of mine who is primarily a collector (not a maker) bemoans the innovation in Miniature Collector to introduce How-To articles because they do not interest her and she thinks there are enough magazines already servicing that market.

Best wishes from the UK,

Sharon

I'm still waiting for my issue to arrive (I ordered both April and May). I can't wait!

I saw a special on the homes of New Orleans this morning and now I'm so inspired to do a 'Lily'. I'm looking forward to April's issue because I know Tracy will have some real inspiring information in her article!

Hey, Mr. Postman . . . look and see . . . if there's a magazine . . . a magazine for me! :wave:

I'm still waiting for my issue to arrive (I ordered both April and May). I can't wait!

I saw a special on the homes of New Orleans this morning and now I'm so inspired to do a 'Lily'. I'm looking forward to April's issue because I know Tracy will have some real inspiring information in her article!

Hey, Mr. Postman . . . look and see . . . if there's a magazine . . . a magazine for me! :wave:

I'm waiting, too. And I also saw the homes of New Orleans special this morning. Made me homesick. *sigh* One thing of interest that they didn't mention:

When they talked about the architecture of Garden District homes being influenced by the people moving in from the East Coast, it sounded as if they blended smoothly into the city. In fact, the Spanish, French, and Creole inhabitants were wary of the "Americans" to the point that it was unhealthy for the Americans to go below Canal Street (into the French Quarter) and the locals thought twice about going above Canal Street, in to the Garden District. Canal Street is quite wide, and at the time had a wide landscaped median strip which divided the two factions. It became known as the neutral ground. To this day, the green center strip of any street (and there are a lot of them in New Orleans) is commonly referred to as the neutral ground.

(BTW, above and below are two directions you'll hear often in New Orleans, as well as riverside and lakeside. Because of the bends in the river, few of the streets run east/west or north/south, and in some cases, where they follow the river, a street may run east/west, curve to run N/S, and then curve back on itself again. Above refers to the upriver and down refers to downriver. Riverside is obvious, and lakeside refers to Lake Ponchartrain.)

Just thought you might like to know. :wave:

Hey, thanks Kathie! Awesome information to know! My sister lives in Houston, so I think next time I go to visit I'm going to convince her that we need to take a trip to New Orleans. There's a dollhouse shop I want to visit as well, so it would be a good trip.

I just love the homes, gardens and history of New Orleans . . . it's so evocative!