The kid is gonna be hurting...

heidiiiii

On Friday morning, Chelsea is getting all four wisdom teeth taken out. None are impacted but there is no more room in her mouth and she is biting on her gums. She actually wants to keep any teeth that arent damaged..Ewww!

She told me the oral surgeon is going to give her a script for Vicodin for the pain...LOL She will be feeling NO pain.

Anyone have any wisdom stories? I was the unfortunate victim of dry sockets when I had mine out. ALL FOUR TEETH! That was a pain I would never want to repeat and I would not wish it on my worst enemy..

I still have mine :) but all 4 daughters had theirs out. One of them ended up looking like a chipmonk for 3 days. I took pictures of her but I am NOT allowed to show them :ohyeah: I shared them with everybody once and she was mifted big time. Oh well I'll share if you want :lol: Your daughter shouldn't have much of a problem being they are not impacted. Tell her good luck and enjoy the vicodin :lol:

The way they inform people now is nothing like when I had mine out...18 yrs ago (OMG! I AM OLD!)

They showed her a video, gave her pamphlets, told her everything that was going to happen, offered her things before the surgery (she opted for laughing gas just because..LOL). The waiting room had a snack table with fresh coffee, water bottles, juice.. I was floored..And there were no old magazines!

I was not told any of this stuff. If they had told me then not to use a straw and not to eat or drink anything for the first couple of hours after surgery, I would have never had to suffer like that. And the oral surgeon I had was treating me like a baby cause I couldnt take the pain..I was crying when i ate yogurt..that should have tipped him off. I will be florence nightingale for the weekend. Going to even clean her room today! She is a slob and I just keep the door closed but when you are sick, you dont need to look at that.

Oh my! I thought this was going to be a post about her getting her wisdom teeth IN, not taken OUT. Everyone else I know had theirs pulled and no one could relate to the pain I was in at varous times through college as they came in. I could totally relate to my son when he was teething as a baby.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. I hope it goes well!

Ohhh, brings back memories. I had to have all four of mine out when I was 8 months pregnant and only a local anaesthetic. It hurt more than having the baby a few weeks later. That was 37 years ago and my, how things have changed. Hopefully, she recovers quickly and without any problems.

My mother had all her wisdom teeth erupt and my father never had wisdom teeth. I inherited his jaw & her teeth, so I got upper widsom teeth (but never lowers); the upper left one started to come through the gum but only the points, the tooth under the gum decayed, so when we were in HI I went to the closest dentist, Dr Chu (I'm not making this up, we had an optician on the same street named Dr Look!), and had it out. Fast-forward ten years in OH, I had been unable to donate blood for nearly five years and had just gotten over a sinus infection and my dentist, poring over my Xrays, suggested having my upper right wisdom tooth extracted. What wisdom tooth? she asks? The impacted one in the Xray. The oral surgeon took it out on Good Friday and by Saturday AM I was raging with so much fever I thought I was going to get to spend Easter in Heaven. So did our dentist, I went on massive doses of antibiotics. When the tooth impacted it apparently trapped a pocket of infected material that my immune system was able to contain until I got put to sleep & cut on. Anyway, that's my "wisdom" story.

I had mine out in my early 20's and then I only had 3 still to this day they don't know where the fourth one is.....lol....the denists said he never heard of just having 3 widsom teeth.....I said I'm living proof.....mine didn't give me any problems.....hope she does well....

I had both bottom ones impacted (at different times) and one made me miserable and the other was no big deal afterward. So I'm hoping for the no bigd deal result for your DD! I still have the uppers, but someday they will have to come out (or so says the dentist).

I've never had to have mine taken - they haven't even come in yet! Good grief, talk about slow huh?

My daughter had all of hers taken at once and then she got dry socket, so she didn't do so well with it. They gave her vicodin as well, but she wasn't able to take it because it triggered her asthma. Poor thing.

My son has had two of his taken so far with absolutely no problems. Guess it varies greatly from person to person.

I had all four of mine removed one at a time when I was in my 20's. Two were impacted, two were not, so if her's aren't, she's got the best type of scenario since they won't have to dig around in her jaw to break them out. It's not comfortable, but it's tolerable pain and as long as she follows the oral surgeon's orders, she'll be just fine. The vicodin will cut the worst of the pain which is mainly just a deep ache. She might feel a little weak and wimpy or weepy after the gas wears off. She'll probably sleep a lot with the pain pills which is the best way to recuperate. When she's awake, make sure she has lots of things to do (magazines, video games, books) that don't require talking. <grinning> For a teenager, the not-talking is the worst part.

Good luck Heidi! It'll probably be harder on you seeing your kid in pain that it will be for her.

Deb

I had a horrible wisdom teeth removal.

My brother and I had our wisdom teeth taken out on the same day the summer before my senior year of high school. He too only had 3 wisdom teeth but I had 4 none were impacted so surgery was supposed to be easy. I was given an injection thru IV to knock me out. We were both given Demoral for the pain. My mom set a schedule to wake us up every so many hours to keep us drugged so we wouldn't feel any pain. I was fine until the day after the surgery. I woke up suddenly with my arm in so much pain that I couldn't sleep. Half of my right hand was completely numb and the vein in my arm felt like it had a metal wire run thru it. It was hard to the touch. My mom took me back up to the oral surgian who said I had an inflamation of the vein & pinched nerve in my arm and put me on Steroids for a week to make the inflamation go away. The pain meds for my mouth made me sleepy and the Steroids made me jittery and sweat A LOT. so I didn't get much sleep. I wanted to draw since I was just sitting around the house but I still couldn't feel all of my right hand so I worked on alot of jigsaw puzzles for a while. The doctor removed the stiches and I returned home only to find that he hadn't gotten them all. So had to make another trip back to see him that day. After I was allowed to eat solid food again I got food impacted in the gum where the stiches had been and one side swelled up like a chipmunk the day before my Senior pictures were to be taken. It took about a month for the all the feeling to return to my hand.

I had 3 wisdom teeth removed when I was in my late 20's. Just wasn't room in my mouth for them. One had already come up through the gum and the oral surgeon thought that it was okay - I've still got that one.

I was put to sleep for the procedure, and didn't have any pain afterwards. My cheeks were swollen, but I didn't take any pain killers because they really didn't hurt.

It was the first time I'd ever been put down and the anesthetic did upset my stomach. It was a few days before I could hold any food down. As I've gotten older and have had more surgeries, I've discovered that that's normal for me.

I enjoyed the 3 days off work doing embroidery. So, for me, it was actually quite a restful experience.

-Susanne

On Friday morning, Chelsea is getting all four wisdom teeth taken out. None are impacted but there is no more room in her mouth and she is biting on her gums. She actually wants to keep any teeth that arent damaged..Ewww!

She told me the oral surgeon is going to give her a script for Vicodin for the pain...LOL She will be feeling NO pain.

Anyone have any wisdom stories? I was the unfortunate victim of dry sockets when I had mine out. ALL FOUR TEETH! That was a pain I would never want to repeat and I would not wish it on my worst enemy..

Had mine out when I was in my 20's. I was a smoker. I smoked after the procedure. I got dry socket AND an infection. It was so horrible that I could not open my mouth more than a piece of paper! I had to have another surgery to fix the problems. Because I could not open my mouth they had to pry it open. And because my roommate had sliced some melon paper thin for me (I was starving from not eating!) they could not anesthetize me. They had to CRANK my mouth open … one click at a time. Ten times more excruciating than “just” dry socket. :cheer:

Hubby had all 4 removed just 2 years ago. He’s a smoker. I explained to him weeks before that he would not be able to smoke afterwards. I knew he wouldn’t listen. And as usual I was right! Al; he kept saying was that I was nagging him. He was so looped from the anesthesia that he tried to light up as soon as we left the office! Needless to say 3 days later he had dry socket and cried like a baby! And a week later when he was feeling better I said “I told you so!” :lol:

here's hoping chelsea's procedure and recovery go smoothly as silk! it's an easy road for some folks and not easy for others.

my teeth were removed one side at a time, so i'd be able to eat on the non-involved side. hah. that was back when keeping my weight up was an issue.

it was a real challenge to make myself go back to have the other side done. One side healed easily, the other didn't.

i can't remember which side was the troublesome one now, but (this was 30+ years ago) i still vividly remember that the dentist more or less hammered on an impacted lower tooth to get part of it out. somehow part of the tooth had wrapped around the jawbone. it was not pleasant.

take home lessons: Lesson One: laughing gas makes me cry. yep, and i cried for no reason at all, it was just the gas! the crying happened before any dental work had even begun, i so i gave up and got the numbies instead.

Lesson Two: Refried beans and applesauce are your friends. if you have stitches in your mouth, do not eat alphabet soup. The little letters and barley get stuck in the stitches.

Lesson Three: if you don't have a car and you want a milkshake, don't call for a pizza to be delivered. You can't eat the pizza and it is beyond dumb to use the straw to drink the milkshake. Dry socket is a mean beast.

I need some ideas on what to feed her.

Here is what we have figured out so far:

Soy ice cream (tastes really good)

Mashed potatoes

Curry carrot bisque (made it last night)

Yogurt

Pudding cups.

She wont eat Jello cause she is vegetarian. I dont want her to live on junk so if anyone has any good soft food ideas that I can cook I would appreciate it. I am going to make some split pea soup (non-ham) today.

mashed sweet potatoes

grits

oatmeal

tapioca

custard (if she's an ovo-lacto-vegan)

pureed broad beans of any kind

French onion soup

tofu other than fried

spinach souffle (see note for custard)

mashed sweet potatoes

grits

oatmeal

tapioca

custard (if she's an ovo-lacto-vegan)

pureed broad beans of any kind

French onion soup

tofu other than fried

spinach souffle (see note for custard)

Thank you

She has been drinking soy and almond milk but she still loves dairy. I dont think she will ever become vegan and if she does it probably wont last.

I am going to the grocery store in an hour and this helps. I wont make tapioca but she likes rice pudding. Spinach souffle is a good idea too. I loooovvvee french onion soup but she hates onions (i swear she was switched in the nursery).. I can buy silken tofu and make smoothies.

Thanks again Holly.. I knew you would help me jog my memory. :wave:

Okay..I think I am set.

Fresh laundered comforters from the laundramat..Check! (too big for our washer)

Yummy crunchy stuff for dinner tonite...Check!

Soft food for the weekend...Check!

Movie Rentals...Check!

Natl enquirer and Star Magazine....Check! (they are great to read when you dont feel well)

Now where did I put my nurse uniform?? Hey Deb..You got anything I could use in that trunk of costumes of yours?? LOL

Yeah.. I know. Just sometimes I dont think they realize that. There day will come and I will have conformation of the past 18 yrs of blood, sweat, and tears.

Yeah.. I know. Just sometimes I dont think they realize that. There day will come and I will have conformation of the past 18 yrs of blood, sweat, and tears.

The day will come, when my oldest called to apologize to me for treating me like her kids are treating her now, was a day to remember and also gave me the biggest laugh.

Forget the nurses uniform--put on your comfort clothes--let's see according to what your weather is doing a good faded pair of blue jean shorts or sweatpants and comfortable Tshirt. Don't forget to count to 10 real often. LOL

I had mine all cut out about 3 months ago, along with a few others, think I had a total of like 7 teeth taken, anyway!!!

I woke up in the middle of the procedure and started saying 'ow' they were like 'oh crap' lol They gave me more stuff and off to la-la land I went!!

They gave me percocet and vicadin, I tell ya, I was flying kites and seeing bubbles for the 1st couple days! :whistle:

It wasn't all that bad really....after the surgery and trying to take your meds was tough with the gauze but the next day I was feeling okay, even went to work!! Wasn't much for talking but I was there and getting paid so it was a win-win situation, ha!!

My only advise is to keep her medicated!! Espically at nite! Don't let her start to hurt before she takes a pill, keep her on a strict schedule according to the script, she wont over dose or anything. Keep her medicated for about a week, then you can back off and take when needed but keep eating them pills lol

Good luck! Hope it isn't to bad for her!!

Hey Deb..You got anything I could use in that trunk of costumes of yours?? LOL

Well, I know where you can get a nifty pair of shorts with "pirate booty" on the butt! <cackle> Hang on and lemme dig out the trunk...........

<muffled voice> Let's see............an indian costume with a feather headdress.........no, that's saved for Glen. Hmmm........here's a harem girl outfit that you might like, but it's not really practical for nursing a sick child. <digging deeper> How 'bout a Joan Crawford outfit with a wire coathanger??? Naw, that's not the image you were looking for. Better stick with the traditional "Mom" look that Chelsea will find most comforting.

Deb