2007 Heart Arbor Contest Results

I haven't seen any robins yet, but I should do any day now.

I'm sure looking forward to hearing their melodic voices. I had Ray clean out the birdbath and put fresh water in it today. The robins sure love their baths!

-Susanne

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Susanne, your robins may be hanging out here. There are a ton of 'em around. Heard them calling for rain this afternoon, and sure enough: downpour. :whistle:

When I was a kid, I got a kick out of the song that goes "poor little robin, walking, walking, walking to Missouri, 'cause he can't afford to fly-iy" ... I find my self humming it several times a day ... :yes:

My Beacon Hill arrived this afternoon! Can't do much more than pat the box before I leave, but it's so nice to have it! It's leaning against the wall inside the front door. I may have to open it up here and carry the pieces down a few at a time. It's a BIG box!!

Thanks again, Dean, Tracy, Bev, Nancy, Keith, and everyone else who madel the Heart Arbor Contest such a delight!

Susanne, your robins may be hanging out here. There are a ton of 'em around. Heard them calling for rain this afternoon, and sure enough: downpour. :)

When I was a kid, I got a kick out of the song that goes "poor little robin, walking, walking, walking to Missouri, 'cause he can't afford to fly-iy" ... I find my self humming it several times a day ... :lol:

When I was in Grade School, I can remember a song that we had to learn for our Spring Concert "I am robin red-breast, the fore-runner of spring....." I forget the rest ... it was a very long time ago.

Kathie - Congratulations on getting your Beacon Hill. You will do this magnificient house proud. It truly is a one-of-a-kind house. It will always be my dollhouse "first love".

-Susanne

Congratulations, Kathie! I'm sure you will make the BH a prize-winner in itself. :lol:

I don't know either of the robin songs quoted, but I do know "When the red, red robin comes bob bob bobbin' along, along, there'll be no more sobbin' when he starts throbbin' his own, sweet song ..." Aahh, Spring is definitely in the air!

Oh, Jackie I remember that song. My mother and grandma use to sing it every spring. I have a couple of robins that visit my yard while I'm having my coffee in the morning. Now everytime I see one I'll be huming that.

The robins around my place are so fat; they probably wouldn't fit into the little nesting box. They look like red melons.

I may have to retrofit it into a chipmunk and squirrel buffet.

It's cool, thanks Dean & Co.

thanks dean and greenleaf for wonderful robins roost it was nicer than exspected and bigger...... granddaughter got hers on sat, and had it out and together to see what it would look like. then she called and asked if we can do them together , so have a good spring break project to do... thanks again

grambo

I got my Robin's Roost today!!!!! It came very quickly which I am really excited about cause I also am expecting another shipment from Dean of my BH I got in the HBS sale :)

Thanks to Dean and everyone at Greenleaf!!!! The contest was a hoot and from it I have my first mini project done (not including Izzy's house) and through making everything myself I learned a tonne of stuff. I loved making plants and can see that my gardening addction will become a mini one as well!

Now my son has put dibs on the roost and is planning away :cheer:

Isn't it great? We have all the fun of the contest, and the Heart Arbor eye-candy, and now the fun as everyone receives their prizes, and hopefully, the eye-candy to come from them, too! Life can be so good!! (Thankyou Dean, and all at Greenleaf.)

My Robins' Roost kit arrived today!

Thank you Dean and Greenleaf. It's been snowing here for the past couple of days, so I'll be able to get it built and up before the robins return. I'm slightly wary about putting a robins' roost in our back yard as I have 2 cats. The sparrows learn to fly off their nests quickly, but baby robins run around on the ground for a couple of days after they leave the next.

I've always discouraged the robins from actually building their nests in our garden. The odd time a baby robin manages to get into our garden, I pick it up and return it to its nest yard. Otherwise, Trinity will be on it.

I'll talk with Ray to see if we'll put it out in our yard, or use it for minis. It's lovely, thank you so much.

-Susanne

Susanne,

I've been in the the same quandry ever since my Roost arrived. We own 3 cats who mostly stay indoors, but there's a wide assortment of ferals that wander in and out of our yard on a daily basis. I've even found some of them hunkering down on the outside edge of my deck, where I have birdfeeders. (hoping to catch a fresh meal, no doubt)

So, as much as my heart wants to help the Robins out, my mind is definitely saying "NO, don't do that!", so I think it will be far kinder if I forego hanging it up for the Robins, and use it for a mini project instead.

You know what would look cute?! If you made the feeder and put a mini scene of a garden and bird house with birds in it in the place the feed would go. You could hang it on the wall and enjoy the feeder without the furry troubles. If you sealed it well you could even hang it outside.

I think I'm going to turn my Robin's Roost into a birdhouse shoppe. It seems appropriate since my last name is Bird. :thumb: But a garden with birdhouses in it sounds adorable too. Hmm. Must think about this some more. We don't have a yard to speak of to hang it in, nor have I seen robins around our neighborhood. Plenty of other types of birds, but no robins. So I guess it's just going to have to be used in a mini scene instead. :wave:

Thank you again Dean and Greenleaf. It is a great kit. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone does with theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all wriggly-jiggly! :giggle: The Vineyard Cottage arrived, and it looks (and smells) wonderful. :yes: In the box was an envelope with two plaques that read, " Greenleaf The Vineyard Cottage Birch Press Proof 3/10 " - :p - how cool is that?!! THANKS DEAN!! :ohyeah:

I was very surprised to find that a Robin's Roost was also included - I didn't realise that the winners would also receive one - it's lovely! Although cats are not supposed to run loose in our community, there are some that do ... I'm not sure whether the robins will be safe ... but I would like to provide a roost for them ... I will think on it.

Greenleaf and Dean - you pamper us with kindness and treats - I'm soooo grateful to you! :wub: