Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dormer windows

4 posts in this topic

They are driving me mad. <_< I thought I had the sides perfectly aligned and when I tried to fit the roof on, the roof went out of shape. I sanded the sides of the mansard roof and now I am hoping I have done the right thing because the mansard roof was overlapping the dormer window hole just slightly. Do these windows normally cause problems?

I was a little disappointed in the kit in general. One of the walls was pretty warped and I think the wood could of had wood worm in it at one stage. There are all these very tiny holes in some peices of the kit and when I sand some parts it just crumbles and I spend ages trying to glue all the little pieces together. :lol:

I practically had to reglue all the plies of the shutter trim for the Westville I'm currently building. I hadn't had this much problem since building the Dura-Craft Cambridge.

I honestly don't remember having problems with the dormer windows in the Mansard. The roof parts were solidly in place with the half a bottle of glue I used on them when bending them IN their slots. Then I adjusted them to one side or the other as needed while the glue was still wet to make sure the window holes lined up. I MAY have had to trim them a little later around the dormer holes, like I said, I honestly don't remember. Was a long time ago and I have an old brain.

Where I had a little trouble was the corners where two curves of the roof met up not haging the EXACT same curve. Wood puty and a lot of sanding to the rescue fixed that and gave me nice smoother corners. Aren't the dormers assembled in place a piece at a time? It's been a while. I seem to remember it that way. And I think you could adjust each piece as needed to make it all fit together without causing any problems with the roof.

Please bear in mind I did the MAIN assembly of my Beacon Hill a LONG time ago, and may not be rememering it quite correctly. Though I DO hope to build another one some day.

Darrell

<_< According to the instructions you have to glue the dormer sides and exterior frame together before you assemble them into the house. This did not work for me. Infact I have found that nothing works for me as far as those windows are concerned. :lol: