Bashing the Beacon Hill

beccas1963

Hello all,

I ordered the beacon hill at the 50% off on HBS. Now what I need to know and I have read the back posts and even printed off quite a few. And some have bashed it to make the kitchen bigger, but havent really seen my full question answered.

Has anyone done it all the way up that side of the house? I know I want to make the kitchen bigger but was wanting to make the other 2 rooms bigger as well. Is this something that can be done? I was looking at the pics at greenleaf and I think it can be done.

And then what do I do about siding? I am willing to buy more that is ok but will it match what comes with the house?

So many questions!

Bec

I like that idea. How many inches were you thinking of adding? I am working on a Beacon Hill I picked up at a thrift store. There are missing sheets so I have been cutting out my own. If all goes well I should have the stairs done sometime this week. I work very slowly though. I'd like to hear more about your ideas.

I think you could 2 a second story easily. You just have to decide if you are able to make the mansard roof on your own or if you are thinking about doing a different look. I thought about a 2 story addition but didn't want to tackle the mansard roof issue.

You can buy the siding in bags from the Greenleaf store or ebay. I know they both carry it. It's individual strips and the same width as the siding that comes with the house. :groucho: Personally, i like the individual strips, you have to sand the edges lightly and since it's already in strips you can just dig in. The siding that comes with the house is in sheets and sometimes they are a little harder to separate i have found. Then you have to sand them after you separate them. So it's your choice if you are going to buy individual bags or use what comes with the house. If you use what comes with the kit and then buy extra to do an extension you'll probably need to get 2 bags of siding. This will leave you with extra, but some of the strips may not be even, or they may break or splinter when you sand them. :shifty:

ok here is my thought and call me silly if you want. But this is my thought.

I was thinking of adding 4 inches not on the end per say but cut say the ground level kitchen area and splice it the 4 inches in the middle of it maybe when I do the walls and yeah splice them too they will match up?

I dont have any really big pics to look at. Just little ones so hard to figure this out. I have been looking at the ones on greenleaf. My brother says it shouldnt be a prob but I worry about the roof too.

Ok ok I am a worrier.

ok here is my thought and call me silly if you want. But this is my thought.

I was thinking of adding 4 inches not on the end per say but cut say the ground level kitchen area and splice it the 4 inches in the middle of it maybe when I do the walls and yeah splice them too they will match up?

I dont have any really big pics to look at. Just little ones so hard to figure this out. I have been looking at the ones on greenleaf. My brother says it shouldnt be a prob but I worry about the roof too.

Ok ok I am a worrier.

I cant' picture what you mean. Sorry. Can you do a drawing?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone done it all the way up that side of the house? I know I want to make the kitchen bigger but was wanting to make the other 2 rooms bigger as well. Is this something that can be done? I was looking at the pics at greenleaf and I think it can be done.

check out my rutherford in my gallery (before i took it all apart) i did something similar to what you are talking about.