Dollhouse packaging?

138 members have voted

1. 1. How Important Is The Package Your Dollhouse Kit comes In To You?

• Very Important, I Like Traditional Greenleaf Packaging
    • Not Important, long as the package is not damaged in shipping and there are instructions (with pictures)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted packaging not important, but I do like current packaging that has the house names on every available side. That way I know what I am grabbing from the stash. I wouldn't care if the labeling was done with a rubber stamp, as long as there are some good photos on the instruction pages.

Dean, I think Jackie says it best here. The big picture is necessary for visualizing, but it would be even better not on the box. So if you could print a picture like the label would be and include it in the box, I would say that is even better. I also think if it is coming from the Greenleaf Store and there are pictures of the house on line, we would be fine as well.

So any hints of other retired houses we might be able to buy? :huh:

It is exciting to see the box with all the writing and pictures on it when it sits there, freshly delivered, just waiting to be opened - but I voted that the box was not as important as the instructions and pictures.

A big picture is useful for visualizing the details, but it would be easier if it was not stuck to the box! Big, clear pictures included with the instructions would be perfect. Colours are nice, but black and white would work, too.

I haven't actually voted just yet, have still to make up my mind :huh:

On the one hand the box itself is feeding the imagination while it is sitting there (im-)patiently to get built, on the other hand I discard the box after I am done with the building...

So I suppose a "no/es" would be my answer, as it is what is in the box that really speaks to my heart, but since I am a eye candy junkie (and proud of it may I add) I need pics LOL, but those could be in the instructions I suppose...

Every coin has two sieds and I am looking at my "coin" and it is standing in the side LOL

Hugs

So how about it, should I get started on the Victorianna (just joking)?

Oh Dean, no such jokes pretty please, perhaps you could have a go at it, sort of testing the waters :huh: ???

With a little hint aorund here I am sure there will be plenty of interest!

Hugs

I usually cut my pictures off the box in order to tape them to a shelf so I can see the photos while I am working. so a photo inside the box would be great! and that would leave the box in tact till I am finished for storing the extra parts.

so get with it and release those much wanted kits! :huh:

nutti :)

A picture inside the box would be most useful. I kept dumping my contents out, when I was building the Lily to look at the picture.

Packaging doesn't matter except that it protects the goods to me.

Hmm... now that's a very good point Jacks!

Packaging is holding back the release of a few different houses right now, so I'm glad that Tracy brought this up. See the problem is I usually need to order a minimum of 5,0000 labels just to get a decent price and have to order even larger quantities to get the prices I have budgeted into the houses. I can have Victorianna's ready to ship next week, but there isn't enough interest in this house go out and invest in labels. This is true with many of the old houses waiting to be re-released. Running smaller quantities on the houses and offering them without a label through the Company Store would be one way to get them back in the market place, but I'm unsure on how this would be received. Of course, we would include what ever pictures were usually on the label so it wouldn't effect any of the assembly concerns mention here and they would ship in a box that would guarantee a safe arrival.

So how about it, should I get started on the Victorianna (just joking)?

Well, if the ONLY thing holding up release of some old houses in smaller quantities -- for heaven's sake, pack them in a plain brown box, take a magic marker and write GREENLEAF on the outside and send them on!!

If the company really felt it necessary to have their name on the box, couldn't you get a GREENLEAF label, with the logo, color, address, etc., but without a specific house name -- made up that would fit on ALL the possible boxes..and then simply label the houses as they're sold, with magic marker or rubber stamp?

And for those of us who need/want the name on all sides of the box -- I've got a big box of fat magic markers; I'd be glad to send one to anyone who buys a house, needs the name on the side, and doesn't have their own marker to label it!

If the boxes are to be put in a store, an outside picture I'm sure would increase the chance of it being sold as opposed to no pic. If the label was decreased in size to something like a photo size or a tad larger, or a very well done black and white. I'm sure it would be fine and still serve its purpose.

I work for a manufacturing and distribution company and I know our largest customers want see-thru packaging to be able to see the product also with coloured labels and lettering for store displays, it makes the item "pop" in the store to the customer. It's all about marketing. You don't see all that kids cereal on the top shelf where they have a hard time to see it or get their hands on it, its all at the "grab and run" and "I Want" shelf levels for them.

For individual customers buying online no label would be needed as they aren't seeing the box when purchasing. There decision is already made. For those customers, strength of box is more important as it travels through many hands who love to throw as far as they can. As once told to me by a courier representative, don't use fragile stickers on boxes, it only makes the challenge greater to see how far they can be thrown.

For myself, I voted no pic on outside but then I know what all the dollhouse look like; but what about the ones that need that last look or not quite sure which one to get.

Marlene, I'm sure you're right for a walk in the store sort of purchase...but it sounds like here they're talking only about a limited number of houses, offered exclusively on their website -- where they could post pics for people to compare if we didn't already know what we wanted -- and then sell them from there. So the packaging isn't such an issue, I don't think.

Packaging is holding back the release of a few different houses right now, so I'm glad that Tracy brought this up. So how about it, should I get started on the Victorianna (just joking)?

Well, if that's all that's holding them back!!! <digging thru my desk drawers> <hauling out a pile of typing paper, a roll of clear tape and a box of crayons> <concentrating> G-r-e-e-n-l-e-a-f V-i-c-t-o-r-i-a-n-n-a. Okay. How many of these did you need? I'll get them out to you by priority mail tomorrow. <cackle>

Seriously, the slick label on the box is cool, but I'd rather have a picture of the house inside the box. I've been known to prop the box up on a shelf in the studio to have the pic where I can see it while I build, but for the most part, I go to the Greenleaf store, print out the pictures there and tack them on the wall. That's lots easier than propping up a big box, and like Nutti, I use the box to store parts till I need them. The pictures of the houses on the Greenleaf store are truly exceptional because I can get views of front and back. Besides, if I print them out, I can scribble notes all over them about colors, modifications, etc. A copy of them in the box would be nice, but a label on the exterior isn't neccessary. I already know what's inside and the box is just gonna get tossed in the dumpster when I'm done anyway.

Deb

SET THEM FREE . . . DEAN!!!

<linking arms with Teresa> <singing> All we are saying.................is sell them to us................all we are saying..........is sell them to us.........<flicking lighter and waving it in the air>

Deb

From day 1, when I first bought my first dollhouse kit, the Arthur, I have been so very impressed with the Greenleaf packaging! I feel that I have a "whole" kit in that sealed box. I feel that it's protected from wind, weather, ravages of time (unlike me) and dust. I like knowing that my kit comes from a reliable company one who cares enough to wrap the box in plastic.

OK I can't help myself! I LOVE GREENLEAF! ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL!!!!! There I said it and I'm glad!

Wolfie

I voted packaging unimportant. Though as stated earlier for sale in a store it will help. It got me thinking. RGT kits at Hobby Lobby have the slick full colour boxes (the Orchid outsells 'em by a mile, at least here) but their higher end stuff, the Foxhall, Montclair, Queen Anne 2 for example (the kits we have) are just in brown boxes (they do have Real Good Toys stencilled on them) and then a photocopy of a B&W pic and name of the kit. Dollshouse Emporium just sends their kits in plain brown boxes with a photocopy taped (or glued) to the lid. For sale in the store here I think that approach would work well since people can see a lot of pics of the house anyway.

The houses we are referring to are ones that will NOT be sold in stores (Only Greenleaf will carry them) And we would buy them direct from Greenleaf's Online Store. I Think the Greenleaf Label in the Stores Totally Out do the other kits because the entire package is Colorful. It catches the eyes. But Online, well We know the house it is and I could receive it in a brown paper bag and as long as the wood sheets, instructions and Color pictures are in tact, I'll be standing in my shorts doing the happy dance in front of the UPS man (Maybe that's why he stopped ringing the bell to let me know I have packages at the door <_ src="http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/%5Chtml%5Cstyle_emoticons%5C/shaun.gif" alt=":shaun:"> )

... I'll be standing in my shorts doing the happy dance in front of the UPS man(Maybe that's why he stopped ringing the bell to let me know I have packages at the door :shaun::dunno: )

LOL, I wonder :wave:

Hugs

You think Tracy?!! :shaun:

I think when you buy retail you expect to see pretty packaging . . . that's what draws you to the item in the first place. But us diehard Greenleaf customers know what we're getting inside of the box, so if the item came in a brown paper bag from the Greenleaf Store, I'd still be assurred of the quality I've become accustomed to.

Bring 'em on, Dean!

OK Dean. I misread the poll but now after reading all the messages I'm realizing what you are doing! Please re-release the oldies and I don't care what kind of box they are in! Does this include the Brookwood and the Beaumont?! Huh? Hmmmm? Wow!

I went to a place in Missoula yesterda....they said in their ad they had dollhouses. They did. They had 2. One Greenleaf Garfield and one RGT whatever..... These were old and dusty and have been there a long time. I inquired as to any new stock coming in? She said no. Montana people would rather quilt and knit and don't do dollhouses. They have had these 2 dollhouses in their store for 4 years! They got them from another store that went out of business.......4 years ago......

Oh wellnuff of that! RELEASE THE KITS! RELEASE THE KITS! Pink, black, blue or red boxes! I do use the boxes by the way.....I use them to hold my trims while painting them! And then only AFTER the dollhouse is finished and on a table or something, so I very relunctantly throw my "old friend" the box away......

Wolfie

I voted the outside of the box dosen't matter to be as long as its packaged well and arrives safe and secure. I will admit tho I get all giddy when I am heading to the front porch and can see the GreenLeaf and miniatures tape on the box.

Now I do like a color photo of the finished house (could be included in the box) and like others I use the box till the house is finished. It holds all the pieces as i take them apart then it is the dust catcher when i sand. Then when i stain pieces it is the base for that too. Really by the time i finish the house the box it ready to be thrown out. So off to the recycle bin it goes.