Dollhouse packaging?

138 members have voted

1. 1. How Important Is The Package Your Dollhouse Kit comes In To You?

• Very Important, I Like Traditional Greenleaf Packaging
    • Not Important, long as the package is not damaged in shipping and there are instructions (with pictures)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) OK, I am packed and awaiting the time table for flights to the NY.... :)

Love those passes, u have one for me as well??? :wave:

Crayons (check)

Pretty empty luggage (check)

passport (check)

asked hubby to call the school Tuesday (check)

hmm, anything else to think of???

Hugs

Okay, I've been really busy today and I got one label made. What do you think?

Deb

A+! Fantastic artistry. I'm sure Dean will love the look and when he gets the labels printed for the houses, he'll want you to become the chief designer and print up your work :photo: ;)

yew guise, since dean and tracy introduced the topic about possible release of golden favorites, somehow we've gotten off topic :photo: and i'm experiencing guilt about that.

Dean, all silly stuff aside, we really do want the houses released!

a poll about packaging would be interesting and i think it's a great idea.

meekly submitted.

well, if you're sure ...

all right! but they'd better not try giving us candy, or anything.

hey -- i'm driving the dirigible. gas prices are high and hydrogen is cheaper. let me know if you want me to swing by and pick you

:harhar1:

Stick with helium, it's just as cheap as hydrogen and you don't get that lovely Hindenburg effect upon landing.

Being on the building team, sometimes the kit comes in a plain box. I do like the cardboard box as a source of corrugated cardboard if I want to make a "tin" roof or need it for some other purpose, and the empty box, like the unusable leftover scrapwood, makes great campfire kindling. It also comes in handy for prototype parts for a bash.

If the instructions could be revised to include pictures, then packed so the instruction sheet with photos of the finished exterior & interior (Doesn't HAVE to be in color) and the kit name show, and have everything needed to build the kit as shown (for the beginner), I think that would be OK. The only problem I foresee with shrinkwrapping the kit in plastic would be the encreased potential for damaged kits and lost parts due to the plastic tearing (how much cheaper than heavy corrugate cardboard is plastic heavy enough to do the same job?). Maybe the plain box with a sticky label with the kit name and model # on the side or end wo we can find them in a stack?

BTW, could you assuage my curiosity and tell me if the Garfield all comes in just one box? (Oof!)

my friends know I had an ulterior motive behind this poll

I want these older houses released like NOW...Please Dean, get ready to release some of our old time favorites

Brookwood, Beaumont, Victorianna, Willowcrest...

The Garfield comes in one very large very heavy box.

The issue with the packaging -- in case folks don't want to read through this whole thread -- was that getting the individual labels printed for EACH house, specific to that house -- had to be done in some very large quantity -- 5,000, I think -- which isn't cost-effective when Greenleaf intends to only release a few houses. So while the fancy labels are really nice -- it would add significantly to the cost, just to have the labels printed.

I'd think if they could just have a generic "Greenleaf House Kit' label printed, and include all the other stuff inside, black-and-white if necessary, they'd save $$, we'd save $$, they could release limited quantities of their houses, and we'd snatch them up. :wub:

Stick with helium, it's just as cheap as hydrogen and you don't get that lovely Hindenburg effect upon landing.
And you can always sneak a sniff and talk like a Chipmunk.
but they'd better not try giving us candy, or anything
Is that anything like looking for beignets in NO but telling them not to give you doughnuts???
I'd think if they could just have a generic "Greenleaf House Kit' label printed, and include all the other stuff inside, black-and-white
I think I said that, too :(

I don't have crayons, but I have colored pencils.

My White Orchid arrived in a plain ol' box and it didn't matter a lick to me!! As long as I get what I ordered and it is undamaged, I am happy. If it means Greenleaf can release some of the older house, then I say, HECK YA!! Just give me plain brown box!!

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

a 2-page 4-color insert in the box with close ups of the house,
Or just nice, clear B&W photos, since printing in color is a costly process (I used to work in printshops).
having downloadable PDF instructions, with suggstions and ideas, as well as good, clear, instructions
Like in the Team building blogs.

With the rise of the internet, having downloadable PDF instructions, with suggstions and ideas, as well as good, clear, instructions would be a far better thing than expensive box graphics.
Greenleaf offers downloadable instructions in the download section of the forum. Dean and Tracy are always working on updating that for us too, so it's a "living" section of the forum.

Like in the Team building blogs.

<nodding in agreement> The building team blogs not only offer instruction with lots of pictures, but tons of suggestions and ideas. It's amazing to see how one kit can take on so many different interpretations.

Welcome to the forum Robert!

Deb

hello, Robert, and welcome! :cheer:

i'm taking a lunch break visit to the forums, and saw your post, howdy!

FWIW, i think that in this thread, the goal du jour is discussion about whether simplified packaging would suit the mini community with regard to release of some retired house kits.

and it would be oh, wonderful !!! to find out that GL has decided to reintroduce some retired houses.

please, Mr. Dean, Sir, someday? :p

robert, we are certainly in the internet age. i'm online a lot b/c of my job. However, many, many people do not have access to the net or the knowledge of how to use it. so, i think there is a real limit to how meaningful internet information can be for someone who purchases a kit, or any other product.

For my money (literally), i'd rather have affordable kits than the increased cost that is likely to trickle down if GL spends the funds necessary to create online instructions or color brochures.

of course, i wouldn't object to those things :ohyeah: but i'd rather see more components, kits and finishing materials made available from GL.

i just got a Lily kit and its instructions inform the builder about the forums here.

the direction to these forums provides a kit builder with a wealth of information, photographs, building blogs and supportive, knowledgeable people.

for me, that's a gracious plenty! and i'm content.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my BH just arrived in a nice plain brown box with some of the lovely greenleaf packing tape. I can tell you I was overjoyed as I could Identify it in the truck all the way from the house and begin my happy dance.

The box kept the contents in perfect condition and that is all that matters!!!!!! I want my pics where I can take them everywhere and drool, not on the box........

So Dean........on with the roll outs!!!! Retired kits are screaming to feel youthful and exuberant once again and all us mini junkies need a fix!!!

I have the 64 color box of crayons, so Dean send me the Plain Brown wrapper and I will be more than happy to get my box of crayons and experiment :monkeydance: It's what's inside that counts

I too am happy with the way my Beacon Hill was delivered. Intact, no damage to the box and labeled as to what was in the box. If a plain box means there might possibly be a limited return of someone's favorite house, I am all in favor of a plain cardboard box.