Dollhouse packaging?

138 members have voted

1. 1. How Important Is The Package Your Dollhouse Kit comes In To You?

• Very Important, I Like Traditional Greenleaf Packaging
    • Not Important, long as the package is not damaged in shipping and there are instructions (with pictures)

I dont care if there is a picture on the outside of the box or not.! It would really be helpful if there was at least a black & White pic with the instructions.!

Is the Victoriana the one that sorta looks like the McKinley ?

If so I want it!!!

Kellee

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Sorry, I'm late to this thread but I just had to add my :p! I would buy a label-less Victorianna from the Greenleaf company store immediately. I mean, literally, immediately!

I've totally coveted this house, and as soon as I finish a couple of the kits I have in line I would also buy a McKinley to match. But I would buy the Victorianna immediately, regardless of the backlog.

fwiw!

no one know what my addiction is.
That only works if people don't ask why I'm gleaning table trash or buying broken jewelry bits & bobs at the thrift shops; ASA they walk into the house the jig is up!

That only works if people don't ask why I'm gleaning table trash or buying broken jewelry bits & bobs at the thrift shops; ASA they walk into the house the jig is up!

LOL, well yes...

Hugs

• 4 months later...

Even though I throw out the boxes after I finish building, packaging is very important to me. The way the house was put in the box and the care that they took in putting in there to make sure the windows arent scratched and the instructions arent wadded up, means a lot about just how careful the company was in ensuring the product is of good quality.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is that nothing is broken or defective but it says alot about the company your buying from if the presentation is good. Its just like food. Even if something tastes better than anything else you have ever tried but its thrown in a bucket and served to you, its not the same as if they would have taken the care to put it on a plate and with a little garnish. If it looks like slop, you start wondering just what else has happened in the kitchen during the cooking that you dont know about.

When its something I really care about, like dollhouses, its very important that I buy quality items. I want the picture outside and the name. It makes everything more exciting to just see what you will have in the end of your project.

I just received my Washington 2.0 late this past week so I think I see what the difference is. Instead of a big color photograph of a completed kit with all the screen graphics the box is white with a detailed line drawing of the completed house in black and the other info also in black. Attractive, simple, descriptive, VERY clean looking and most definitely cost effective. I like the newer, simpler box art very much. I haven't yet opened it, so I don't know if the instructions still advise hot glue & shellac, but I can work around that.

Personally, I don't mind what type of packing the dollhouse is in, as long as it's secure packing to withstand shipping. Although, a color picture is nice, I think it would be nicer if the manfuacturer would include it in the box instead of outside. This way, the picture stays cleaner and can be hung on the wall while working on the house.

I think as long as the instructions have pictures showing various assembly steps, then the outside packing doesn't matter too much.

Christine

• 3 weeks later...

I like to think that the B&W pictures & line drawings will lead people into more originality in building & decorating the kits to suit their own tastes, rather than trying to replicate what someone else has done. OF COURSE it's OK to use bricks, stucco, plaster, coquina, vertical siding or any other external treatment that real houses have, not just the horizontal clapboard siding the house in the box picture might happen to have; and from there other original ideas might suggest themselves. For the terified newbie there are the black & white pictures and for colors there are paint company sites &, when all else fails, US.lol

• 4 weeks later...

I am building my first house that has been boxed in the attic since 1992 but I have 2 more recent purchases ready to build. Since I am on my first build, (Greenleaf Willowcrest) I do wish there had been more pictures of the house being built in the instructions. Sometimes I was getting totally lost in how things were supposed to look. Won't keep the box once I am finished so don't care about packaging.

I wish all the old would come back! I would love a Victorianna as well as a Brookwood. The Willowcrest would be wonderful as would be the Beaumont and many many others lost now over the years. The Beaumont is atsolutely stunning and I've now received Dollhouses to Dreamhouses for the Willowcrest which is magnificant!

Sigh,

Wolfie

• 2 months later...

I got my new Brookwood in a plain brown box...carefully sealed with tape with the Greenleaf name on it. The box was very well taped together, and when I cut through the tape found another somewhat smaller box -- also plain brown -- inside. That box was carefully wrapped in a foam sheeting material which I carefully saved, as it is VERY nice stuff and surely I can find another use for it!. And then inside that second box were the sheets for the house, the instructions and all that. I don't see any need, really, for lovely outside pictures, especially these days when we can just come to the site to download for current houses, and look around to see others older houses.

.... And then inside that second box were the sheets for the house, the instructions and all that. I don't see any need, really, for lovely outside pictures, especially these days when we can just come to the site to download for current houses, and look around to see others older houses.

There were still pictures inside the box, weren't there? (Some people don't go online - or own computers, even.) We are so lucky to have everything and everyone here, but not all dollhouse lovers are as fortunate as us.

There were still pictures inside the box, weren't there? (Some people don't go online - or own computers, even.) We are so lucky to have everything and everyone here, but not all dollhouse lovers are as fortunate as us.

Yes, there were pictures inside the box as well. They were dark, though ...I suggested in another thread that Dean needs a better digital camera! :idiot:.. but they are there.

• 2 weeks later...

i worked almost 20 years in retail management and i know it's a very visual world. you want your products to stand out against and above the competition so i like the traditional package with the color photo. i get my first ideas from that photo and it also helps with the building process. truth be told if i see a white box with plain black writing and a drawing i think it looks cheap and i think "couldn't they spring for a photo?" plastic on the box is a great idea because one of my dollhouses was delivered or i should say left on the porch in the rain. the box was a wreck and some of the wood was wet, but luckily it dried out ok. the one thing that really needs to be changed is the instructions, it's waaaay past the time for an upgrade! there need to be good photos and maybe a flyer or something showing items available in the greenleaf store. it's the perfect opportunity to advertise your products but it's not utilized! c'mon the first rule of retail is...up sell ,up sell, up sell!

I like the color photo on the outside of the box (for shelving purposes) and the box wrapped in plastic. Then I would like for the dollhouse box be place in a plain cardboard box for shipping. I worry while my dollhouse is traveling to me with the label and contents out there for everyone to see! I'm afraid it will get lost along the way!

More photos in the instructions would be a big plus! And a color two sided 8x10 of the completed house front and back would be a great convenience to reference instead of fetching the big box to look at the picture there.

I voted that I didn't mind not having the traditional packaging greenleaf box etc... but that is only because I have my own supply of color pictures for reference.

I have a confession to make... I collect color pictures of dollhouses and I think it has become a slight obsession. :) I'm even organized and have them in a notebook. I know... I could look them up in the gallery etc.... but I really like thumbing through the pictures that I have collected... kind of like a "catalog". I love to see how people have painted and decorated them so... one day I started printing them out... and now I have a huge book. Sometimes at night when I'm really tired and have worked on the dollhouse that day... I take the book and sit in my favorite chair and just flip through it and dream...

:mad:

• 1 month later...

I'm not interested in the box, I do need instructions and some where to get pictures. That said, I would love a Victorianna, and would buy one in a heartbeat, no pretty package required :unsure:

Is there any chance of the Victorianna being reissued???

There was an announcement to that effect some time ago, but I'm not sure what happened. Seeing so many discontinued house kits making a comeback (and available in our Greenleaf store) makes me hopeful that the Victorianna will become available; that 's another one I really look forward to building!