10/7/05 Superstition? Rabbit's foot

Possibly because of how quickly those little feet can hop that rabbit to safety, although considering how may rabbits' feet wound up on keychains for people to carry around I'd say they weren't very good luck for the poor rabbit! :D

Rabbits and hares were considered very lucky animals as they were associated with spring and the return of flowers and other plants. Spring was also a time of fertility and so rabbits were considered good luck to be seen running through the fields. To see a rabbit running through your yard meant that it would be a good year to have children or that your garden would be especially fertile this year.

To see a rabbit running through your yard meant that it would be a good year to have children or that your garden would be especially fertile this year.

I would think that it would mean your garden would be in danger that year! :D

I would think that it would mean your garden would be in danger that year! :(

I've heard that if you plant catnip around your garden it keeps the rabbits out. I'm not sure what would be worse.........bunnies eating up the produce or a pack of drunk cats rolling around in it! :D

Deb

I once planted a few catnip seeds in our garden room for DS#3's sweet cat and now I can't get rid of it! I have to pull it out from EVERYWHERE! It's such a hoot to take some to DS's cat & watch him stand on his head in it :D

I didn't realize rabbits didn't like catnip, I thought they ate everything! They ate all the baby fig trees we set out one year.

The rabbit's here eat everything! We had to put in a barrier and plant it six inches deep so the rabbit's wouldn't get in the yard and eat all my plants!