10/12/05 Storks & Babies

Minis On The Edge

To account for the sudden appearance of a new baby in a household, Scandinavian mothers used to tell their children that a stork brought it. To account for the mothers need for much needed bed rest, the children were told that before the bird left, it bit the mothers leg :D (so many lies :D )

The Scandinavians felt a need to offer there young children some explanation for the arrival of the new baby. The Question of the day is, Why did they choose the Stork?

In Scandinavian countries and also some Germanic ones storks are so revered as bringers of luck & good fortune (maybe harking back to the Teutonic gods Frey & Freya, god & goddess of health, wealth & fertility?) they are encouraged to nest on rooftops (the Grant Farm in St Louis has nesting stork statues on the rooftops of its concession area; it's owned by Anheuser-Busch). Apparently storks like to nest near chimneys for the warmth, so it was probably some new mom wanting respite from her curious older children who told then the stork dropped the new baby down the chimney.

DH's dad told him as a child that if your baby tooth fell out & you didn't stick your tongue in the empty socket you'd grow a gold tooth. It never ceases to amaze me what parents tell their children! :D

Storks like to nest in chimney tops and they return to the same chimney every year (kind of like ducks going south and returning north to the same pond every summer). Scandinavians saw this and used it to explain the sudden appearance of a new baby.

Now why Santa Clause comes down the chimney to bring presents, I haven't a clue! As far as I know there are no big jolly men in red suits that nest in chimney tops.

:D Or are there... :D

Now why Santa Clause comes down the chimney to bring presents, I haven't a clue! As far as I know there are no big jolly men in red suits that nest in chimney tops.

:D Or are there... :D

ROTFL!! Okay, now I'm going to be running around town looking in chimneys just to find out! Too funny!

Deb

Early Scandinavian naturalists had studied storkes and their nesting habits on house chimney stacks. The stork which has a 70 year life expectancy, return to the same chimney every year and the mate monogamously:wub:. Young adult birds give great attention to there young and take care of there elderly parents and even the infirmed ones :D .

Thus, because of this birds gentleness and the fact that these birds nested on the chimney of homes. It was the idea creature to use to tell children this fabricated story.

See there, we can learn a lot from a bird :D