The Day from HELL...............

Shelly N

when my daughter was about 2 my boys woke me up with cereal in bed and their cards made at school. very sweet...I oooed and aahhed and thanked each of them. then my daughter crawled onto me and asked...where my card? I said well I guess you have to ask daddy because he is suppose to do that kind of thing with you....she looks at him.....WHERE MY CARD DADDY?

so he gets up and takes her off to Wal-mart...that was the first yr my DH got me anything for mothers day. my boys were 7 & 9.

He is good about remembering coz the daughter never lets him forget.

but this yr I am buying my own...as a last minute shopper he didnt take into account that he would be working 2 days of overtime with no time to shop... so me and the daughter are spending the afternoon together finding me something and having lunch on him.

Heidii...I think not preparing anything for lunch or dinner and spending the day doing what you want to without any thoughts of them will guilt them good.

I would go spend the day without them starting before they awake...leave them a note if it makes you feel better but I probably wouldnt....

One year when I was feeling un appreciated I snuck out of my house with a book and went to the lake for 4 hours to read and enjoy the day. when I came back I had dinner waiting on me. and 3 nicely made cards.

Happy Mothers Day!!

nutti :ohyeah:

Here's another vote for making Mother's Day your day, in which the gang gets no waiting-on or help from Mom because you're doing what you want to do.

Very important principle: your family's flakiness is their problem, not yours. (You remember important days, so clearly you taught them otherwise.) Do not make it your problem by trying to figure out what you can do to fix it. Making yourself so happy that they realize they missed something is the best revenge.

I went out and bought my own present!

Larkspurs

Red hot pokers

Heliotrope

Pine mulch

and annuals for my pots!

I will have things to do tomorrow if it isnt too hot!

I'm with everyone on this issue. I love what nutti did, taking a book to the lake and just enjoying the quietness. I hope you have a wonderful day working in your garden and really, let the kids fend for one dinner, like Kathie says, they won't starve if they miss a meal. I wouldn't do the guilt thing, it will only backfire and they'll think you're just ungrateful about everything they do for you every other day of the year. Smile and consider it a great day, that's your best revenge.

Heidi, I am feeling kind of morose as well. But it's my fault because I told DH not to worry about getting me anything... I didn't want him to spend the money. And I did have a great time with DS at the preschool Mommy thing this week. DH has been working massive overtime and didn't really have a chance to buy me anything. I didn't think I would care... but for some reason now I do.

What I really, really want is for everyone to disappear and let me get stuff done today. That sounds horrible, I know, but I just want a day of peace and quiet to rip apart this horrible office that has been the bane of my existence for, oh, I don't know, five years? and organize it. I just want it DONE. I'm so tired of tripping over things in here and searching high and low for things.

BUT, it's Sunday and my personal convictions won't let me do housework today. Don't laugh, I'm serious! I also avoid shopping if at all possible on Sunday. My SIL invited us over for dinner today, which was very sweet of her, so I don't have to cook, even though I did promise blueberry pancakes to DS and DH yesterday so I have to mess up the kitchen before church today. It will be incredibly boring at SIL's today, so I'll take some cross-stitch and do that.

I love your idea of getting the plants. That would be a terrific present for me too! Have a great time planting!!!! I'm almost done with my flowerbeds for the year. We should post photos on another thread of how our gardens are growing. That would be neat!

I think that what bums me out about Mother's Day is really just the general principle of everything gift-related for me. I have to tell my husband exactly which store to go to and exactly which item to buy for me. But then, he has to do the same for me. It's awful! For the past two years, for my birthday, he gave me money for a) a sewing machine and b ) a writing course, and I ended up both times having to use the money to pay bills when he was laid off. That's the depressing part, I guess!

Okay, enough whining!!! Sorry so long.

What I really, really want is for everyone to disappear and let me get stuff done today. That sounds horrible, I know, but I just want a day of peace and quiet to rip apart this horrible office that has been the bane of my existence for, oh, I don't know, five years? and organize it. I just want it DONE. I'm so tired of tripping over things in here and searching high and low for things.
Horrible? Hardly. If peace, quiet, and time are in short supply for you, then receiving them abundantly is a great gift.

BUT, it's Sunday and my personal convictions won't let me do housework today. Don't laugh, I'm serious!

Just a thought to toss out... housework as one of your routine tasks is one thing. Is organizing your space the same thing? When it comes to being spiritual, is working on outer order and reclaiming your space going to bring you the peace and growth that sitting still will not?

People -- okay, women! -- often assume that being spiritual means forgoing what they deeply need. If you're Christian (which I'm assuming from the importance of not working on Sunday), bear in mind that while Jesus sacrificed greatly, he also allowed Mary, sister of Lazarus, to annoint his feet with oil while he rested. What is your personal annointing?

Ultimately, you have to go with your conscience, so no, it's not silly if you really cannot do housework of any sort on a Sunday! Just don't lose track of your own value as a complete person.

I was feeling very glum yesterday. I just wanted to be appreciated. I couldnt help it but I started to cry a lil..(not a guilt tool this time..hehehe).

Then Chelsea got up and left the room..i figured her teenage eyes didnt want to behold her blubbering mother.

Then she came bounding down the stairs with Natalie. THEY CLEANED THE BATHROOM! I took a picture! I am so thrilled.

You dont understand. Chelsea cleans NOTHING. It all disgusts her in one way or another (dirt and chemicals). They cleaned it all..tub, toilet, sink, floor, hair, bits of paper..everything!

I have had the best Mother`s Day ever. They did the one thing to lift my spirits. They actually thought of me and did a job I hate!!

Now that's what I call a great day!! I sure wish I had someone to clean mine, I've absolutely no energy to do anything. The after effects of being sick, I guess. My son is arriving today for a week and I've nothing done, well, I did manage to clean the front window and dusted a bit. But I just can't seem to get motivated.

He and his family are moving back to Ontario and as a grandmother, I'm hoping close by.

In the meantime, I think he'll just have to wade through the mess.

I'm glad your day turned out nice, Heidi!!

DH came through with a box of candies from my favorite store...Ladybug Candies right here in town. It's run by a woman from our church and they have the best candy. Shameless plug: www.ladybugcandies.com.

Hey Calamari, regarding the doing housework on Sunday thing... what bothers me is that I am not very good at organizing my time, so then I end up spending Sunday doing all the things I should have done earlier in the week and Sunday just turns into another hectic day in which I'm focusing on what I want to get done. I end up feeling just as stressed as any other day of the week and I spent the day thinking about me instead of God or other people. So Sunday is the one day that I tell myself I'm not allowed to do that, I have to slow down, smell the flowers, spend time with family (which is what we did yesterday) even if I feel bored. So then I am rejuvenated for the rest of the week. And of course we go to church as well. And it's a very small way of making Sunday the Lord's Day. Of course, when I was working full-time I had no choice but to run errands and do laundry and such on Sunday but it was exhausting and somehow very unfulfilling.

I totally agree with what you said about peace and growth and reclaiming your space. But I just feel, personally, that if I want it that badly I could find time to do it the rest of the week instead of *ahem* fooling around on the Internet for example! Though my main problem lately is that my four-year-old has gotten incredibly needy and whiny and just won't leave me alone during the day. I think he's bored and just restless and going through a stage right now. But it does make it hard to get things done.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

And Heidi... I'm so glad your girls made your day!!!!

Wenlaine, I hope you're feeling better soon. And have a great visit with your son!

Aaaahhhhh... yeah, I know what you mean.

My question of the week: "If I really believed in what I'm doing, what would I be doing right now?"

Sometimes it is screwing around on the internet, but not always. :yes:

If I really believed in what I was doing...I would be painting a mural in one of the rooms in this house.

(I am a slave to the internet from 6am-2pm..but it is off and on, off and on)