Pierce shingles

Deb

Hi all! I'm at work where I shouldn't be getting ready to order shingles for the Pierce, but we'll ignore that fact for a moment. :D

Since I'm not at home where I can do some measuring, would any one have an estimate off the top of their heads about how many bags of 1000 count, 3/4" x 1 1/2", fishscale shingles are needed for the Pierce?

Deb (zipping back to being productive)

Hi Deb. I'm working on the Pierce myself. I just checked the specs for the Pierce and 8 bags are required (any style). If you want to do siding you would need 7 packages.

Hope this helps!

Now back to being productive! :D

Lynne

Thanks Lynne! I saw that spec when I was searching online last night and my first thought was "Eight *thousand* shingles???" I wasn't sure if they meant the 100 count bags or the 1000 count bags when they said 8 bags. So I made sure that mini.com has plenty of that same shingle in inventory, split the difference and ordered 4000 shingles. Either I'll need to order more, or I'll have enough left over for the next house. :D

Hmmmmm. Now there's an idea. If I always over order supplies, it will justify the "next house" every time.

Thanks for the help Lynne. I really appreciate it. What stage are you at with your Pierce? I just finished the floors, ceilings and wallpaper on mine and am getting ready to start on the windows. I have my stained glass windows ready and am thrilled with the way they came out. I'm not electrifying at this time, but I made templates of all the walls and floors so I can add lights later on and change the decor when I get the urge. So, I'm putting the wallpaper on first and then assembling the shell.

My darling hubby saw me petting pictures of an oriental rosewood and mother of pearl inlay dinette set and folding screen yesterday. I was reluctant about the price of them, so he ordered them for me. (that goes to the top of the "why I love that man-o-mine" list!) When I ordered the shingles, I ordered a chinese apothecary cabinet to use for a sideboard too. I have the curved staircase stained and varnished and it came out beautifully so I'm already in love with the dining room!

So, before I digressed, I was asking where you're at with your Pierce. What plans do you have for it?

Deb

Howdy Deb! I like your style! Always justify buying another house with overbuying supplies! :D

This Pierce is for my girlfriend. She didn't want me to put in any wallpaper, just white walls, hardwood floors, and wiring. I'm sending her to the miniature show here on November 5th so she can get an idea of what it's going to take to decorate her house. :D

Anyway, I had the foundation base glued, the foundation wall pieces primed and painted and last night I tried to put in the first floor. I could not get some of the tabs in the slots (I think because I painted the pieces first and they may have swelled) and it's driving me crazy! I kept going back to my craft room struggling with the darn thing and then finally gave up around midnight! :D Dear boyfriend even pitched in and was helping me but to no avail. So I can't move any further until I get that foundation base attached to the first floor. :(

Omigod, I can't wait to see this dining room set that your wonderful, wonderful husband bought for you! It sounds absolutely beautiful!

Gosh, I could do so much with this Pierce but alas...I have to follow my client's instructions (hopefully she will change her mind ;) ). I built a Pierce about 20 years ago and it was just a shell. I sold it.

For myself I have a Duracraft Farmhouse 505 waiting patiently for me to get started on. I've had the dang thing for nine years now! ;) I was about to give it away when by accident I found out that it sells for $455.00 but is on sale for $365.00! I had no idea that that house cost so much! I only paid $200 for it!

Deb, are you going to post pictures of your work in progress? I'm going to take pictures of every bit of work that I do until everyone will be bored to tears looking at them! :D

Well, I need to be productive until 5:00. Have a good evening!

Lynne

That's kind of a bummer that you don't get to decorate, but at least you do get the fun of building. Well, except for the frustrating foundation problem. I ran into that same problem with the dry fit of the foundation, so I used my xacto blade to shave down the too-plump tabs. (little cuts on the sides of the tabs to narrow them a spliter at a time and shavings from the broad sides to thin them down just a hair) A couple took quite awhile to get them just right, so don't give up on shaving off little bits of the tabs and slots till it fits.

When I glued the foundation, I let it sit just long enough for the glue to set but not harden, then I put the floor on. That gave me some movement in the foundation in case I needed it. Turns out it was a good thing too. I had *one* piece that I couldn't get to look quite right. It fit, but it just didnt' look right. So I put down the glue--ran to the computer--checked the pics in the albums here of Pierces in progress--ran back to the studio--and put the piece on right side up instead of upside down. It's amazing how much difference that made. :D

I'll post pics in progress if you will! LOL As I have learned from my right-side-up-now foundation, those albums are really helpful! I have been taking pics of the progress as I build but haven't uploaded any of them yet. I'll do that this weekend.

Nine years??? I'd say that farmhouse was really patient!! And with the replacement cost so high, it's a good thing you did hang on to it. Are you going to be starting it after you finish the customer's Pierce? You'll have all that creativity blocked up inside and need an outlet after making a generic house shell. C'mon.........let it out! :D

Deb

Hi Deb. Okay, I'll give that a try. Luckily, most of the tabs fit but there are 3, maybe 4, that are just a hair too wide to fit into the slots. I know it's going to take me a while but I'm not moving on or jumping around until I get this step completed and right. Also, what I will do is have my laptop right beside to look at the in-progress pics.

I'm using my 35mm to take pictures and then upload them to digital. Dear boyfriend insists on taking photos only when the walls are up. :D He doesn't understand that a work-in-progress must be documented step-by-step. So, I'll post his first and then mine when I finish the roll.

Deb, I can't wait to get started on that farmhouse! Looking at everyone's pics I just have so many great ideas of what I want to do! In the meantime, I will create a work of art ;) on the Pierce and then I'm gonna cut loose! As soon as the Pierce is completed and delivered then it's Duracraft Farmhouse here I come! :D

Lynne

• 16 years later...

Hi

I get ..the Pierce takes 7 bags of wood shingles and 7 bags of siding but it’s still not clear to me how many pieces in each bag of shingles and  the siding also,

This has become very hard to find out….for some reason.

Please HELP!

I would greatly appreciate it…

Most packages I have seen state the square inches that the package will cover. A few of the very very very old packages of shingles I have say 500.  I would think it is much better to go by the square inches they will cover than the amount due to sizes could vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.