Duracraft Farmhouse 505

LynnieEP

I've got to tell you this quick story:

I bought the Farmhouse 505 nine years ago at Frank's Nursery for $200.00. Until recently the box had never been opened. I was planning to work on it someday but when I went into dollproperties.com and saw that they had taken over Duracraft's inventory and they had the Farmhouse 505 for sale (vintage and rare dollhouse) for $365.00 marked down from $455.00, I quick like the bunny opened the box to make sure nothing was broken. :D I had no idea that that house was that expensive! I was used to paying $100 - $200 for dollhouses. I truly had no clue as to the value of this dollhouse! :D Soooo, once I finish up the Pierce I'm going to dig in on the Farmhouse.

Has anyone ever built one? :D

Lynne ;)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi Barnilad! I have not started my FH505 yet but have cracked open the box and read the instructions over and over. It will be maybe a month before I start mine. Can you share some of the problems you've been running into? The directions seemed a little complicated to me but maybe I'm wrong.

Lynnie

Oh, you lucky lucky people! I would LOVE to have a farmhouse! I still haven't gotten one. When they have one for a decent price on ebay, I either forget to bid or have no money, LOL!

Lynnie, I would love to have an email of the instructions too, if it's not too much trouble. I'd like to see them and dream ...

Okay, here are the instructions. If you have trouble opening the attachment just let me know and I will email it to you individually.

Gosh, I've had that post up for months! I thought I was the only one in the world who had FH505!

Lynnie

In response to Lynnie: I have been working on this for several years. I find the 1/8" plywood very difficult to work with and have broken many parts. That is a big problem now that Dura Craft is not avialable to replace parts or give help. It may be that the wood is dried out making it more brittle. You really need extra hands for doing the walls. But don't let me discourage you as it is probably just my lack of patience as I've seen pictures of finished products.

Hi Barnilad. Now, I'm wondering if I am going to run into a similar problem. I've had that kit for close to 10 years, I think and it's been sitting in the cold, in the heat, in the trunk of my car, and finally in the house. Nothing was broken when I opened the box but it remains to be seen if the wood is going to hold up.

What did you do with the plywood pieces that broke?

Lynnie

What did you do with the plywood pieces that broke?

I occasionally run into the problem with some of the kits I've built, I spread carpenter's wood glue on the break and fit it tightly together, wiping off the glue that oozes out until it is done oozing, I fold a bit of waxed paper over the glued part and clamp the everlasting bejeezus out of it overnight and next day I proceed to use it as needed.

If it shatters, we picked up a piece of 1/8" plywood from Home Depot & I just cut a new whatever is ruined. Sometimes, if it's trim, I make it out of cardstock & glue layers together to make it 1/8" thick.

Hi Holly! Okay, I'm going to jot your tip down in my instructions just in case a part breaks. Okay, here comes a dumb question: the waxed paper won't stick to the glue after you clamp the part? :D

Lynnie

I don't use computer often, believe I have the farmhouse, a resque, put together.. except the rest is missing. I tried to download from your suggestion, now don't know where I go to get the results. I'm as lame at computer as building, would love instructions for when I can. Where is a picture to see if it is the same farmhouse? My favorite " to do" house has been sitting without instructions for 16 years. How do I request instructions for that one also? different brand and out of business. Thanks, Vicki

Whoa, has anyone checked out the photos of the FH505 on Captain Dave's site? He did an awesome job on it! For those of us who haven't tackled the FH505 Dave's pictures are real motivators to help me get started on it!

Thanks Barnilad!

Lynnie

• 4 weeks later...

My husband built the fh505 for me about 6 years ago..Neither of us had ever built a dollhouse before.

The drawings with the instructions made it easier to build..Some dollhouses dont have pictures with the instructions and for me this makes it more difficult. Its a big house and its heavy and you need a rather large space to display it.

One thing to remember...DONT USE HOT GLUE... We didnt belong to any Miniature groups at the time so we didnt know about these things and some things are dropping off and need to be re-glued.

Now that Duracraft is no longer in business , maybe the value of the house will go up ??

I love my Farmhouse .......I also bought a Lily by Corona and the Heritage but may not make them because of space required........................PAULAKA

You could build them and donate them to your local elementary school or Ronald McDonald House, or put them up for sale or sell the kits (just be sure you leave the instructions & schematics sheets in them!lol).

Paula, thanks for the tips. That box is waaaaaaaaay heavy and I had to drag it into a closet, not lift. ^_^ I'm looking forward to working on it once I finish up the Pierce. My guess is that I will need more space to work. Hmmm...right now I use an aluminum worktable and the floor.

Lynnie

I know what you mean about hot glue. I know my first houses were built only using that stuff. I then started using Aleenes tacky glue.

That house is HUGE it was the 1st dollhouse I got but it was not the first one I put together ^_^ That project was too big for me at first. Do you have pictures?